Panther Pride

56 replies to this topic

#21 Procell

All District

• Members
  • 101 posts

Member No.: 3619

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

I have no more interest than wanting to know why someone would say this kid should stay with his own age group.

Just thought it could be interesting to discuss...but obviously the discussion is pretty much dead. I hope the best for the kid. Hope he does well with the Legion team...that tends to shut people up too, and so far that has happened.

#22 BGR_80

All District

• Members
  • 271 posts

Member No.: 3195

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

Having spent the last five summers watching this player first hand become a young man and develope into one of the best players in his age group across the country (not just in little ole northwest ohio). He has earned everything he has gotten; nobody on here realizes the amount of hours and effort he has devoted to becoming an excellant player.

One thing I can certainly state on here is this young man is not a cocky individual; nothing could be further from the truth. As a matter of fact there have been times I wish he'd be a little more selfish/cocky and impose his will to exceed on those young men around him. He truly has the desire, dedication and tools to play baseball at the legion level no questions asked. It is very clear the people within that organization see first hand the things I have witnessed over the summers. He will earn his playing time and he will succeed. Heck you never know he might even help them win some games along the way.

The future is bright for him if he elects to remain dedicated to the sport and continues to hone his skills. To be the best; you must play the best and push your skills to the limit. The only way for him to do that right now at this stage of his career is to play up with older kids.

I'd like to wish the enitre Ottawa Legion roster good luck this year!

#23 67Chevy

All State

• Members
  • 801 posts

Member No.: 2224

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

BGR....excellent post. For people who have no idea who they are talking about to come on here and have doubts about him playing at this level is rather absurd.

The player that is being talked about has been playing against kids 3 years (or more) older than him the past 3 summers. He probably could have made the Legion team last year if he had wanted to. He has been playing USSSA Major...which to those of you who don't know...which is probably everyone here, is the top level of travel baseball. He played 14U on a "national" level team and started at SS when he was 12. Most 14U USSSA teams at his level would beat all but the best High School varsity teams, so playing Legion at 14 years old is not much of a step up from what he's been doing. Until you get out of this area and experience "travel baseball" at the level that is being played in towns as close to us as Findlay, you have no idea what kind of experience a 12-year old kid can get. To somehow claim that a kid isn't ready for Legion based purely on age is comical.

Edited by 67Chevy, 11 June 2008 - 06:49 PM.

#24 Procell

All District

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:59 AM

pigskinp.gif pigskinp.gif pigskinp.gif

#25 alaskan

All League

• Members
  • 77 posts

Member No.: 2120

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

I don't care if he has snot running down his nose, who his parents are ...what his school histories are....what the heck is his name? Geez. You talk the kid up and then those of us who don't follow school politics and don't live in that county have to guess his freaking name? Some of us would like to see the name so we can follow it in newspapers etc. For people who haven't heard about him, not mentioning his name makes this sound like a "Sidd Finch" story.

#26 B-cat

All District

• Members
  • 128 posts

Member No.: 2157

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

Honestly i could really care less. I just like to stir s#&t up the plain blah blah converastion is boring

#27 Procell

All District

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

Casey Schroeder is his name.

b-cat, stirring up stuff is pretty lame. If you know the kid, why would you need to stir up stuff? Again, comes across as being jealous! You can't blame a kid for being good, can you?
I think any kid that works hard, and is able to play with older kids, deserves the payoff of all the hard work.

I congratulate him and wish the Ottawa Legion TEAM all the best. It is a team...this kid isn't the star of the team. He is one of 18 on the team, and the coach, who played professionally uses him as he sees fit! The kid is getting better, and from I hear is getting more and more playing time.

Lame stirring up stuff on a kid just because you can.

#28 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:58 AM

Gee! Everytime I don't get around to a forum for a week or so, that's when all hell breaks lose! Rest of the time it will be dead as a door nail! LOL

Anyway, to the RC, procell! Great to have you & we hope you enjoy yourself here at the Corner! (And best wishes to both the Ottawa & Sidney teams!!)

Happy posting, procell!! hifive2.gif

"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#29 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE(alaskan @ Jun 12 2008, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't care if he has snot running down his nose, who his parents are ...what his school histories are....what the heck is his name? Geez. You talk the kid up and then those of us who don't follow school politics and don't live in that county have to guess his freaking name? Some of us would like to see the name so we can follow it in newspapers etc. For people who haven't heard about him, not mentioning his name makes this sound like a "Sidd Finch" story.

You cracked me up, alaskan! thumbup1.gif
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#30 BlueZebra

All League

• Members
  • 68 posts

Member No.: 1360

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:52 PM

The kid can play - enough said.

#31 Yellow_Jacket06

All State

• Members
  • 523 posts

Member No.: 3518

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE(BlueZebra @ Jun 17 2008, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The kid can play - enough said.

That's a good enough answer for me BZ!

Looking forward to seeing this young man play on July 13 when Ottawa Legion comes to Sidney for a DH.

Edited by Yellow_Jacket06, 18 June 2008 - 01:09 AM.

#32 BlueZebra

All League

• Members
  • 68 posts

Member No.: 1360

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:30 PM

he's got some things to learn about the game, but as a catcher, he works hard and receives well. his bat is a little slow, but he can hit.

#33 alaskan

All League

• Members
  • 77 posts

Member No.: 2120

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Procell @ Jun 13 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Casey Schroeder is his name.

b-cat, stirring up stuff is pretty lame. If you know the kid, why would you need to stir up stuff? Again, comes across as being jealous! You can't blame a kid for being good, can you?
I think any kid that works hard, and is able to play with older kids, deserves the payoff of all the hard work.

I congratulate him and wish the Ottawa Legion TEAM all the best. It is a team...this kid isn't the star of the team. He is one of 18 on the team, and the coach, who played professionally uses him as he sees fit! The kid is getting better, and from I hear is getting more and more playing time.

Lame stirring up stuff on a kid just because you can.

Thanks. I'll gladly look for Sidd's....er ...I mean Casey's name in the future. If he likes ball that much, he can't be a bad dude at all.

#34 BeaverCleaver

All District

• Members
  • 187 posts

Member No.: 485

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Yellow_Jacket06 @ Jun 18 2008, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a good enough answer for me BZ!

Looking forward to seeing this young man play on July 13 when Ottawa Legion comes to Sidney for a DH.

I'm not sure how much you will see him play. I'm been to a few Ottawa Legion games, the last being at the Tawa Classic and at that time he wasn't seeing a whole lot of playing time yet. That could have changed though over the last few weeks.
Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

#35 Boomerpete

All District

• Members
  • 163 posts

Member No.: 3355

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

Stechshulte doesn't play favorites. If any kid earns it, he plays. And there's a lot to be said about learning by observing. I see no harm in a young player being a part of a team.

#36 wannabe

All League

• Members
  • 52 posts

Member No.: 3537

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

Sometimes players make the roster even before the season starts

#37 JTX

All League

• Members
  • 66 posts

Member No.: 3103

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(wannabe @ Aug 8 2008, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes players make the roster even before the season starts

FINALLY, someone might know what is really going on with this program...............................................pleeeese tell us more!!!!!

#38 Hayes Cooper

All District

• Members
  • 225 posts

Member No.: 2899

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:02 PM

The season is over so why don't somebody give us the stats on the guy that supposedly didn't earn his way on the team. Then we will know if he should of been there or not.

#39 bbdad

All League

• Members
  • 80 posts

Member No.: 1384

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(Hayes Cooper @ Aug 17 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The season is over so why don't somebody give us the stats on the guy that supposedly didn't earn his way on the team. Then we will know if he should of been there or not.

Apparently he was 3 for 14 according to the team stats online.

If those were the only at bats at any level then I'd say being on the team was a mistake. If he received regular playing time somewhere else then I'd say it was a good idea.

NW Ohio needs more travel ball of some sort for younger kids who wish to play at a highly competitive level.

#40 Procell

All District

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

My understanding is that the stats were not final stats as he had like 30+ at bats...could be wrong but not sure that those are updated completely.

As for being on the roster IF 14 was all the at bats he had...I would say he had a great opportunity to pick the brains of Coach Stechschulte...who played at the Major League level. He got to play at a highter level, and he got to rub shoulders with the older players that really did take him in and accept him.

That has to be better than picking the brains of some Acme coach in Ottawa...by and far.

I think the fact that someone is still on here trying to run the kid down for playing up...is pretty lame!!! I wonder if any of the people on here downing him is actually the Acme coach in Ottawa...would not surprise me at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users