Lima Buckeyes Semi-Pro Baseball Team

57 replies to this topic

#1 LimaBuckeye

All League

• Members
  • 97 posts

Member No.: 2983

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

The summer of 2008 welcomes a new semi-professional baseball team in Lima. The Lima Buckeyes will start off their summer on May 30th with a double header at Smiley Park against Van Wert Legion. On June 5th, the first ever battle of Lima will take place at Shawnee High School as the Buckeyes and Locos will face off. You can visit the website at http://eteamz.active.com/LimaBuckeyes/ to check us out. Our roster consists of all local players. We are an all wooden bat team with our league being the Midwest Prospect League in Ft. Wayne. Our roster includes:

1. Brian Lybarger (Player/Manager)
2. Vince Gillfillian
3. Craig Ribley
4. Geoff Bowers (Rhodes State)
5. Zach Marshall (Alderson Broaddus)
6. Matt Beggin (OSU-Lima)
7. Ross Guisinger (Findlay U.)
8. Adam Fletcher (Will be attending the Naval Academy)
9. Austin Black (Ohio Northern)
10. Matt Rader (Ohio Northern)
11. Zach Metzner
12. Nate Brown
13. Mark Coulter
14. Tyler Slonecker (Will be attending Tiffin University)
15. Justin Mayer (OSU-Lima)
16. Eric Schwab

Edited by LimaBuckeye, 25 May 2008 - 02:06 PM.

#2 countywidehasbeen

All District

• Members
  • 177 posts

Member No.: 774

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

I think that the Lima Buckeyes is a great idea. I think that it gives area kids that play college ball the opportunity to come home for the summer and still be able to play and keep their skills fresh, as well as former players that wish to keep playing. The other alternative is to find a league/team, possibly many miles from home, and spend the summer there.
I think that as long as the Lima Buckeye organization takes the team concept serious it will be a fine opportunity for many. The one question I do have is whether or not the team is going to be a Collegiate summer team or an adult team? I remember seeing the post about the team organization on the dreaded Huddle site; I think it was being touted as a tryout and invitation only team. If that is the case, how many tryouts will take place and how will the selection process take place? How many invites will be asked/accepted? I noticed some names on the roster that may have been invites that do not have college ball experience or are currently playing. Would the team be a better product if there were more tryouts? I am quite familiar with the Midwest Prospects League and know how competitive it can be. I know of ballplayers that are good/very good for their college team and struggle in the MPL.
After reading what I have typed so far, I can see how some may think I am doubting the Lima Buckeyes abilities; that is not what this response is for. I am just questioning the tryouts/invites process.

#3 Osu4me

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,173 posts

Member No.: 1916

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:04 PM

Best of luck to the Lima Buckeyes! Looking forward to taking in a few games.

#4 countywidehasbeen

All District

• Members
  • 177 posts

Member No.: 774

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

Like I said before, I am very happy to see the evolution of the the EXPRESS into the BUCKEYES. I do wish them well and hope they have great success. By looking at the roster, they do have some very good talent there. Do I think they have some holes that will be exposed, YES. However, I do wish them great sucess and feel that Coach Lybarger should be complimented for taking on this endevour. We all can sit back and criticize the team and second guess the roster, but guess what, none of us showed the effort and determination as Coach Lybarger. Good Luck Buckeyes, I wish you well!

#5 Edwards43

All District

• Members
  • 485 posts

Member No.: 2988

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(LimaBuckeye @ Nov 19 2007, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My apologies BOB I read that and took it the wrong way. I actually just added another pitcher today from Defiance College; Patrick McKee. He is a left handed relief pitcher that throws side-arm. And I wanted to make sure everyone knew who Vince Gillfillian is. He will be our starting catcher and hit over .400 the last two summers. Vince is an outstanding defensive catcher and hits for both power and average and will be in our number 3 hole. Behind him is Geoff Bowers who by the way, hit .521 last summer with Ottawa Legion while driving in 39 runs. Our catching will be solid all season long and will control our pitching staff. Things are looking up for our team and June 1st seems too far away. But we will have a few practices to get things going next May.

Sounds great ! Where will your home games be played ?

#6 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(LimaBuckeye @ Nov 19 2007, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually just added another pitcher today from Defiance College; Patrick McKee.

Congratulations, patty thumbup1.gif and best wishes to the Buckeyes!!!
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#7 LimaBuckeye

All League

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

As of right now, all I know is that our first home double-header on June 1st is at Bath High School. That's a 1:00 start against Troy Legion. After that, I'm not real sure just yet because of area acme teams and other issues. I tried getting Simmons Field in Lima, but apparently there are some problems with that and I have to wait and see.

#8 Hayes Cooper

All District

• Members
  • 225 posts

Member No.: 2899

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:59 AM

You should look to see if you could play in Kalida. 15 minutes from Lima and a great place to play ball.

#9 white_shadow

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 309

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(Hayes Cooper @ Nov 22 2007, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should look to see if you could play in Kalida. 15 minutes from Lima and a great place to play ball.

No offense Hayes Cooper, but you are not going to get Legion and college caliber teams to agree to playing games on a dirt infield. It is a nice facility, but they really need to get a grass infield in my opinion.

#10 LimaBuckeye

All League

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:39 AM

I appreciate the suggestion and would love to hear anymore people might have. Right now I would really like to get Simmons Field but just waiting to hear from the athletic director. If that falls through, I wouldn't know where to go that is close by and has all the things we'd need. Feel free to keep the suggestions coming and I'll take anything we can get.

#11 Rooney

All District

• Members
  • 110 posts

Member No.: 883

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(white_shadow @ Nov 22 2007, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No offense Hayes Cooper, but you are not going to get Legion and college caliber teams to agree to playing games on a dirt infield. It is a nice facility, but they really need to get a grass infield in my opinion.

Shadow
Not so fast there Shadow..
The last 2 summers I have attended 2 games at Kalida's field where he Ottawa Legion played. It was well organized and had a large number in attendance-- the last year they recognized 2 Putnam County coaches' -Ted Miller and Dan Kern at the 7th inning stretch. Now, I agree about the grass infield but simply by playing at Holy Name Ballpark the Legion is reaching out to other communities and trying to build a fan base and not be recognized as Ottawa only. I thought it was a great move and I enjoyed the baseball both times I went.

#12 LimaBuckeye

All League

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

I forgot to mention before that I also tried Wapak High School's field and actually talks went pretty well with the director there. My only concern with playing there is that we wouldn't attract a large crowd from Lima. I didn't figure too many people would travel to Wapak to watch a home game.

#13 bbdad

All League

• Members
  • 80 posts

Member No.: 1384

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

Isn't Kalida a short field as well? 330 in center? Been a while since I've been there so not sure. While they may attract some crowds some time a dirt infield makes it tough on the pitchers as well.

#14 Rooney

All District

• Members
  • 110 posts

Member No.: 883

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(bbdad @ Nov 26 2007, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't Kalida a short field as well? 330 in center? Been a while since I've been there so not sure. While they may attract some crowds some time a dirt infield makes it tough on the pitchers as well.

I don't remember the exact dimensions but they extended the right-center and right field fence and made a "15-20 foot high fence in right and right center..I think of it a little like Fenway short in the alleys and down the line but you'd better get the ball up in a hurry. They have really dressed up the place with windscreen & banners & advertising on the whole outfield fencing and enclosed the park with fence and built in-ground dugouts. Wouldn't suprise me if they put up another "wall" in left field also. Along with being one of the few stadiums in the area with lights if they were to put in grass it would become a place you would love to watch/play a game be it sitting in the grandstand or out in the bleachers. Just my opinion - but I'm like some others-- I like Wrigley Field & Fenway Park -not that they are old just that they are not just a "cookie cutter" type of park and they have some hisory to go it.
While I'm believer in having grass infields these days -I'm old enough to have played on mostly dirt infields and I don't feel I was cheated or had a disadvantage throughout my playing days of not playing on grass. It's just evolution of the game from wood to metal -from dirt to grass.

#15 LimaBuckeye

All League

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:30 PM

We just finalized our roster at this point adding Mark Coulter who is a former player at Mount Vernon Nazarene University. Mark ranks 5th all time in Mount Vernon history in victories on the mound with 27 wins while pitching 238 innings which ranks 8th all time. Mark will round up our starting rotation as he joins Austin Black, Chad Casey and Ross Guisinger in the starting roles while Brian Lybarger and Patrick McKee will do most of the relief work along with some others. Right now, still in the process of finding our home field but luckily still have alot of time remaining.

#16 Double Nickel

All District

• Members
  • 213 posts

Member No.: 1293

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:15 AM

About the field situation at Simmons Field, last i had heard the Lima Locos were going to start playing there...this came from a very reliable source. Knowing this i would say that someone has to be throwing out some serious money into that craphole for it to be possible. Some continuous problems with them and Shawnee have led to this. As far as Lima Sr.'s new field Lima Legion has all of their games scheduled there, with a couple possibly getting moved to Bluffton U. Should be a lot of open nights there though.

Lima Buckeye, have you tried a few of the colleges.....ohio northern, bluffton (who's new field will be great) college coaches are always looking for teams to play on their fields in the off season...just a suggestion, only downfall being like the Wapak field you may not draw quite the attedance

good luck with your first season!

#17 white_shadow

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 309

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Double Nickel @ Dec 10 2007, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About the field situation at Simmons Field, last i had heard the Lima Locos were going to start playing there...this came from a very reliable source. Knowing this i would say that someone has to be throwing out some serious money into that craphole for it to be possible. Some continuous problems with them and Shawnee have led to this.

I have a hard time believing the Locos will be at Simmons. Like you said, there will need to be some serious upgrades to the facilities before I see that happening. Curious as to what the problems are between them and Shawnee.........they've been playing there for quite a few years now.

#18 Living in the stands

All League

• Members
  • 29 posts

Member No.: 2627

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:14 AM

Hey DBL Nick, Why didn't you go out for basketball? I think you would have been a great asset.

#19 NoSoup4U

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Member No.: 506

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

It's true. The Loco's will play at Simmons this year instead of Shawnee ..................... renovation work will start on Simmons in the spring.

#20 LimaBuckeye

All League

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

To answer your question about the college fields, yes I have talked to both of them and both schools have given the ok to play some games on their fields (Ohio Northern and Bluffton). My only concern with that is I didn't know if that would draw a good crowd with it being so far away from Lima. If I thought it would, I would definately play our games there.

In the past couple days I have made a couple moves that might benefit our team. Right now, it sounds like we might have the opportunity to play some games at Kalida, Temple Christian and i'm trying to find one more field to spread out our games. We will only have 14 home games with all those games being league games.

As far as the Simmons Field, Locos controversay, I have talked to the City of Lima as well as the man in charge of Shawnee Field. He said that he has heard nothing about that information but would call me as soon as he heard something. The guy from the City also said there wasn't anything in writing about the locos going to Simmons and so far all they knew was that Lima Senior's Junior Varsity team would continue to play there. Believe me, if that was true that Shawnee Field became available that would be my first option and would do anything in my power to get that field for our home games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users