Liberty Benton (19-4)- Lima Central Catholic (20-4)

2 of rocketmans favorites

24 replies to this topic

#21 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

I'm not sure a strength is "balanced scoring" it may mean "we don't have a go to player". Anyway, this went about the way I thought. Listening to the game, LCC jumped out early, and other than a few short runs in the 4th quarter to get it to 7 or 6 points, LCC pretty much controlled the game? Any dissenting opinions??

LB was in serious foul trouble most of the game, how many LB teams have 20 fouls in a game? They typically smother many of the teams they play with lock down defense, but against better players and athletes, that half step difference is fouls instead of shutting teams down. LCC also appeared to dominate the boards, another area LB usually dominates.

#22 Bluetiger76

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,803 posts

Member No.: 9020

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 08 March 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

I'm not sure a strength is "balanced scoring" it may mean "we don't have a go to player". Anyway, this went about the way I thought. Listening to the game, LCC jumped out early, and other than a few short runs in the 4th quarter to get it to 7 or 6 points, LCC pretty much controlled the game? Any dissenting opinions??

LB was in serious foul trouble most of the game, how many LB teams have 20 fouls in a game? They typically smother many of the teams they play with lock down defense, but against better players and athletes, that half step difference is fouls instead of shutting teams down. LCC also appeared to dominate the boards, another area LB usually dominates.
Common, I agree 100%. Congrats to both teams.

#23 Irish Viking 87

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 9522

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

I went to the game last night and it was my first time seeing LCC live. I came away very impressed. They have a nice team.They have their stars, but IMO it's the bench and role players that make this team special. The kids off the bench didn't score a lot, but they rebounded and played defense extremely well. The Williams and Stewart kids were very physical. Liberty Benton had no answer for them inside. The Williams kid had 8 points and 6 rebounds and was the 104.9 player of the game.I thought LCC's overall team quickness was the key to the game as they continuously got to loose balls that LB was used to getting throughout the year.

Someone said the only team stopping LCC from getting to Columbus is themselves and they are probably right. But Coach Kill made some decisions last night that baffled me. Why he brought Cobbs back in the game with 2 fouls and over 6:00 left in the second quarter didn't make sense to me. It could have really hurt them as Cobbs picked up a quick third foul. And at the end of the 2nd quarter and throughout the second half, they were up 9 with LB in foul trouble and sitting in that 2-3 zone, he pulled the ball out. LB didn't come out of the zone, so Kill told his team to attack. A couple of turnovers and LB was right back in the game. LB could not guard them man-to-man, so instead of making them play man, Kill attacked the zone which is what Williman wanted. In the end, it turned out OK, but decisions like that from now on ,could be LCC's downfall.

Edited by Irish Viking 87, 09 March 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#24 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostIrish Viking 87, on 09 March 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

I went to the game last night and it was my first time seeing LCC live. I came away very impressed. They have a nice team.They have their stars, but IMO it's the bench and role players that make this team special. The kids off the bench didn't score a lot, but they rebounded and played defense extremely well. The Williams and Stewart kids were very physical. Liberty Benton had no answer for them inside. The Williams kid had 8 points and 6 rebounds and was the 104.9 player of the game.I thought LCC's overall team quickness was the key to the game as they continuously got to loose balls that LB was used to getting throughout the year.

Someone said the only team stopping LCC from getting to Columbus is themselves and they are probably right. But Coach Kill made some decisions last night that baffled me. Why he brought Cobbs back in the game with 2 fouls and over 6:00 left in the second quarter didn't make sense to me. It could have really hurt them as Cobbs picked up a quick third foul. And at the end of the 2nd quarter and throughout the second half, they were up 9 with LB in foul trouble and sitting in that 2-3 zone, he pulled the ball out. LB didn't come out of the zone, so Kill told his team to attack. A couple of turnovers and LB was right back in the game. LB could not guard them man-to-man, so instead of making them play man, Kill attacked the zone which is what Williman wanted. In the end, it turned out OK, but decisions like that from now on ,could be LCC's downfall.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bag: Irish V may be banished from the order for such comments. Let the discussions begin.

LJ.
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#25 Irish Viking 87

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 9522

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostLimaJock, on 09 March 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bag: Irish V may be banished from the order for such comments. Let the discussions begin.

LJ.
LJ,

I'm pretty sure that clutch and schrades banished me from the order long ago. That's OK as I strive to be a leader, not a listless follower anyway :P The one thing I would follow is you and Flounder into battle with the CYO state champs. I miss the 50-55 year old range by a couple of years, but I think I qualify everywhere else. My wife is a nurse(so she knows CPR), she's good lookin, and I've got a 6 pack of Mikes Hard Lemonade cranberry lemonade coolers in the garage that she bought for the father-in-law that I would gladly donate to the cause :sudsy: I think that covers everything

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users