2012-2013 NWC thoughts

94 replies to this topic

#41 longshot89

All District

• Members
  • 449 posts

Member No.: 2552

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'm glad to see Paulding stick with a coach. I think Brewer can build a competitive program year in and year out
Home of 12 State Championships and 19 State Runners-Up

#42 PHSfan_1023

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Member No.: 4554

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

View Postlongshot89, on 17 November 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

I'm glad to see Paulding stick with a coach. I think Brewer can build a competitive program year in and year out

If the kids are willing to buy in and put in the necessary work, Paulding will definitely put together a solid foundation for success. If not (and if the parents arent able to stop coaching from the stands), then the problems that have plagued the Panthers in the past will come right back.

#43 PowerPressure

• Members
  • 17 posts

Member No.: 9362

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Yeah but that is a problem at a lot of schools. We have the same situations in our area. It's High-School basketball. It's the fans & parents duty to yell and scream, but most importantly, it's the coaches job to have the players focused on the game plan and it is the players responsibility to know who to listen to when it's game time. DISCIPLINE.

#44 creatingballers

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Member No.: 9365

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Wow, I agree with PowerPressure 100%. I am actually from the Paulding area and know the kids on the team personally. If you don't mind me asking, where did you watch them play over the summer? I am pretty sure that I can assure you that the team you watched was the Paulding Varsity team. And yes, the boys are ready, and they love being the under dog. I CAN understand where some people doubt them because of their lack of success in past years, but they should definitely be able to turn that around this year. They are not the team people are use to. Lookin forward to watching every one of their games this year! In your face defensive pressure, rebounding, hustling, great ball handling, plenty of size underneath the basket, and an INSANE slam dunker, not to mention chemistry and experience. Loaded with talented Seniors and a couple fine Juniors! I truly can not wait to watch them in 2 weeks! But don't worry, these boys know they are being doubted and thats what keeps them motivated and focused on their goals. It's awesome when you see the boys playing ball constantly, even when these kids are not at practice, they are playing ball together at the local park or at one of the boys's house. They have a goal and are actually putting in the work to achieve it!

#45 PowerPressure

• Members
  • 17 posts

Member No.: 9362

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Being that you sound like a proud Paulding parent (?), I will let you know that I seen Paulding play at Ohio Northern. I know the man that puts that particular tournament on. The direction those kids are going looks to be promising for the program this year. I wish that team luck and I am looking forward to hearing about their success this year.

#46 doslobos

All District

• Members
  • 103 posts

Member No.: 9220

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostdropNdimes, on 16 November 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

LCC is very talented (nothing new) but I think team chemistry could be a problem. The kids get along really well and are very talented. About 1/3 way thru the season, you know someone's parent is going to get upset because their very talented son didn't get as much playing time or isn't scoring as many points as they think he should.
I really think that this team might be more talented than the team that won the state tournament or at least have more depth. They have a plethora of guards and have some size that can all run. To make everyone happy, including parents, Coach Kill should press the entire game and just rotate guys in. I really don't think they'll lose anything by subbing frequently because #'s 1-8 could start for any team in the NWC. LCC just needs to warn the other NWC teams that they'll be pressing for 32 minutes and if the score gets ugly, it gets ugly- they're just trying to keep everyone happy in the T-Bird Family.

I agree that LCC should press constantly, but not because of the potential of parents complaining. Parents don't, and shouldn't, have any input on who plays and when they play. Granted, there were some issues last year in regards to players/families being unhappy with playing time, but tough *******. As long as there are only 5 players on the court at the time, the 6th and 7th men will always want more playing time. That's the nature of competitve sports. I'm pretty sure that the message has been relayed to the kids and parents that any comlpaining about playing time will not be tolerated, and distractions to the program will be dealt with accordingly.

But as far as the team and pressing is concerned, you won't find a more talented, athletic, and deep backcourt in the area. IMO, I can't think of one that really comes close. Bruce Hodges, Xavier Simpson, Martyce Kimbrough, Darius West, and Tre'on Johnson should be downright scary in the open court, especially when you consider the "bigs" they have can run. IMO, they should be absolute monsters defensively, pressuring teams to the max. Like you said, I'd tell those guys you're going to lpay 4-5 minute spurts, and you better play so hard that you need a break at the end of it. If they can come together as a team and really embrace the fact that defense should be their calling card, they'll give a ton of teams nightmares. With that being said, if they sulk about playing time, shots, or whatever, it could be a trying season for everyone involved.

#47 PHSfan_1023

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Is it too early for standings predictions?

1. LCC
2. Crestview/Grove
4. Spencerville/Paulding as a sleeper
6. Ada
7. Jefferson
8. Bluffton
9.Allen East
10. Lincolnview

Edit: When I say Paulding as a sleeper, I mean for that 3rd/4th spot in conference. Not as a title contender.

Edited by PHSfan_1023, 19 November 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#48 creatingballers

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

1) Paulding
2) LCC
3) Crestview/Grove
5) Ada
6) Spencerville/Delphos
8) Lincolnview
9) Allen East
10) Bluffton

I KNOW how GREAT of a team that LCC is going to have, but after witnessing Paulding beating traveling teams that play in all areas of the country, I am confident that they can compete and beat any team on their schedule if the correct Paulding team shows up.
The best Basketball talent to ever come through Paulding High-School will be on display this year, I am excited to see what happens!

#49 longshot89

All District

• Members
  • 449 posts

Member No.: 2552

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Is that real or are you joking
Home of 12 State Championships and 19 State Runners-Up

#50 creatingballers

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

It's real. In the past 2 summers, this group of boys have been preparing for their Senior year. They have beaten traveling teams such as Florida Magic, Atlanta Fury, Michigan Commadores, Detroit Dawgs, Ohio All-Stars,and many others, but these are a few of the wins that they pride themselves on the most because these are well known teams when it comes to Summer traveling basketball. These are facts, but I also know that Paulding Basketball not having much success in past years is also a fact, so I dont question why anybody doubts them, I'm just letting a few facts be known about this group. Their basketball work ethic has been 110% in the off season, one thing is a guarantee, this team will be NOTHING like any other that has put on a Paulding jersey. Before anybody downs them too much, just wait until the season starts, so that you can give a more accurate opinion on THIS YEARS group.

#51 bleacherman

All District

• Members
  • 294 posts

Member No.: 4536

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

View Postcreatingballers, on 19 November 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

1) Paulding 2) LCC 3) Crestview/Grove 5) Ada 6) Spencerville/Delphos 8) Lincolnview 9) Allen East 10) Bluffton I KNOW how GREAT of a team that LCC is going to have, but after witnessing Paulding beating traveling teams that play in all areas of the country, I am confident that they can compete and beat any team on their schedule if the correct Paulding team shows up. The best Basketball talent to ever come through Paulding High-School will be on display this year, I am excited to see what happens!

Ballers, I to have seen this team play. Yes, they do show promise, but let's becareful on the preseason predictions at this point. At this point, I won't say the best hoops talent ever. I would also not put them at the top of the conference. I would love to see your analysis come true, just gonna wait to see how the season turns out. Paulding had a class couple of years ago that only had 6 loses all year including tournaments and those 6 loses came to teams that went deep into the tournament. They top that, then I will say best talent, but they have alot to prove.

#52 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

View Postcreatingballers, on 20 November 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

It's real. In the past 2 summers, this group of boys have been preparing for their Senior year. They have beaten traveling teams such as Florida Magic, Atlanta Fury, Michigan Commadores, Detroit Dawgs, Ohio All-Stars,and many others, but these are a few of the wins that they pride themselves on the most because these are well known teams when it comes to Summer traveling basketball.

How is that even possible under OHSAA rules?

#53 JohnMcClane

All District

• Members
  • 423 posts

Member No.: 8043

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

View Postcreatingballers, on 20 November 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

It's real. In the past 2 summers, this group of boys have been preparing for their Senior year. They have beaten traveling teams such as Florida Magic, Atlanta Fury, Michigan Commadores, Detroit Dawgs, Ohio All-Stars,and many others, but these are a few of the wins that they pride themselves on the most because these are well known teams when it comes to Summer traveling basketball. These are facts, but I also know that Paulding Basketball not having much success in past years is also a fact, so I dont question why anybody doubts them, I'm just letting a few facts be known about this group. Their basketball work ethic has been 110% in the off season, one thing is a guarantee, this team will be NOTHING like any other that has put on a Paulding jersey. Before anybody downs them too much, just wait until the season starts, so that you can give a more accurate opinion on THIS YEARS group.

Most teams strive to peak in late February or March. Paulding may have peaked in July. Don't be ashamed of your season when you finish in the middle of the pack in the NWC again this year. You beat some of the best teams in the nation this summer when it really counts.

Edited by JohnMcClane, 20 November 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#54 bleacherman

All District

• Members
  • 294 posts

Member No.: 4536

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Creatingballers, you just opened the floodgates. I sure hope you can swim!!!

#55 creatingballers

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

This is possible under OHSAA rules because in the months of June & July a "School Team" can enter ANY tournament and play against ANY team, it is before the month of June and after the month of July that only AAU teams play eachother, which are hand picked teams. During the months of June and July school teams run into AAU or Traveling teams all the time. This is happening all over America and has been for YEARS!

And I am very familiar with the team out of Paulding that had 6 losses, there is NO chance that this years team will suffer that many losses. Looking over their schedule, I only see 2 teams that have the talent to beat them, 1) LCC (could go either way, but I'm going with Paulding, this game will NOT be the blowout that most of you think it will be), and 2)Defiance (they are always competitive, but I'm positive that this is Pauldings year to come out ahead in that game as well). I know first hand what these boys are capable of, and I am just standing beside these kids as all of you are for your teams. I AM NOT a parent to any of these kids on the Paulding team, however, I have been involved with teams from this school and in the area for a long time, and this team has the potential to be GREAT. After a few weeks into the schedule, then get back with me, I will be here on the other end, smile on my face, saying I've always believed, and I told you so!

#56 creatingballers

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Oh and yes John McClane, I am very aware that teams strive te peek in the months of Februaray & March, but that does not mean they can't compete in the summer months. Basicly saying that because they played great in the summer that they aren't going to have a good school season sounds ridiculous. And if they lost every single game, I would not be ashamed of these young men, but that won't happen, if they remain healthy, there's going to be ALOT of people that are going to be feeling ashamed that they were so judgemental on a great team because of the schools past history.

#57 creatingballers

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

bleacherman, I didn't mean to open the flood gates (or maybe I did)..... Either way, I believe in these kids and I will never say otherwise. =)

#58 PHSfan_1023

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

View Postcreatingballers, on 20 November 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

And I am very familiar with the team out of Paulding that had 6 losses, there is NO chance that this years team will suffer that many losses. Looking over their schedule, I only see 2 teams that have the talent to beat them, 1) LCC (could go either way, but I'm going with Paulding, this game will NOT be the blowout that most of you think it will be), and 2)Defiance (they are always competitive, but I'm positive that this is Pauldings year to come out ahead in that game as well). I know first hand what these boys are capable of, and I am just standing beside these kids as all of you are for your teams. I AM NOT a parent to any of these kids on the Paulding team, however, I have been involved with teams from this school and in the area for a long time, and this team has the potential to be GREAT. After a few weeks into the schedule, then get back with me, I will be here on the other end, smile on my face, saying I've always believed, and I told you so!

I have seen firsthand the progression of the current team as well and I do agree somewhat with the points you have made. I do think that Paulding has the talent to keep games close with the conference favorites LCC. Having said that, I think you might be getting a little ahead of yourself in these predictions. I personally think that this team could win 12-13 games just based on the weakness of the teams in the area. The Defiance game is where I think Paulding could keep it close. The Bulldogs have a lot of size, but lost a ton to graduation. Napoleon's playoff run pushed their traditional season opener until later, which means Defi could (I repeat could) show up rusty. Not predicting a win, just stating truth. I think 3rd or 4th place is not out of the question in the NWC behind LCC, Crestview, and Grove/Spencerville. But we'll just have to see when the season tips off on the 30th.

#59 creatingballers

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

PHSfan, I respect your opinion, however, I do not believe I am getting ahead of myself, I've seen this Panther team pull out wins against teams that would blow anybody on their school schedule out of the gym. They are beatable (just like ANY basketball team), but they will not lose 9 or 10 games, MAYBE 2, and if healthy, they WILL advance further down the tournament trail than any other team in Paulding history. With a name like PHSfan, I know you are going to be a proud and happy person once you see all this success that I speak of start to unfold. Start to buy in and believe a little now, and when a great season takes place you will feel better about it. These boys have enough people in their town that already doubt them. RIDICULOUS!

#60 JohnMcClane

All District

• Members
  • 423 posts

Member No.: 8043

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

Creatingballers you are entertaining but please PUT THE KOOL AID DOWN.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users