Did I just witness Mr. Arlington Girls' Basketball...

26 replies to this topic

#1 Falcon86

All League

• Members
  • 37 posts

Member No.: 9209

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

I attended the Arlington Football game last Friday night and was amazed at a scene that took place just behind the south end zone.

I was having a nice discussion with the lovely wife of Postplayer when I witnessed the Arlington girls' basketball coach verbally rape a group of parents from the visiting team. Apparently the group parked their blanket on the west side of the endzone (supposedly Arlington turf) and was cheering their team on when Mr. Girls' Basektball takes it upon himself to "instruct" this group they needed to move. It was not a request, he created a scene.

I was embarrassed for the group of folks, but much more embarrassed for the Arlington athletic program. What a shame to see a school representative act in such a manner.

I know he is 'royalty' in Arlington since winning a state championship with his girls basketball team, but come on, use better judgement. He is a representative of Arlington High School and needs to act professionally. I am not sure if this guy is a teacher or not, but if he is, the BOE should take a look at his contract.

I have been traveling to Arlington for football games since my younger days of rooting on my alma mater, Riverdale, and let me tell you the "facilities" that Arlington offers to the visiting team is not enough to even fit the Vanlue marching band, let alone the parents and fans of the visiting team. So, when a group of visitors had to sit, on a blanket, in the endzone, I think it is understandable.

Shame on you Mr. Arlington Girls Basketball and shame on the Arlington School District for not reprimanding your actions.

#2 blufftonpirates

All District

• Members
  • 248 posts

Member No.: 4996

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

:popcorn:

#3 Whiterabbit

All District

• Members
  • 388 posts

Member No.: 6146

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Interesting, right or wrong based on where they sat is irrelevant. Acting in this manner as a school represenative is wrong and should be embarassing for the school system. Any action do you think is taking place or should?

#4 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

I wish I could have been there to watch him try to move me. :boxing:

#5 bambino

All District

• Members
  • 117 posts

Member No.: 5935

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

I think everyone is over reacting you have to know the source

#6 Casual_fan

All District

• Members
  • 108 posts

Member No.: 9259

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostFalcon86, on 07 September 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

I attended the Arlington Football game last Friday night and was amazed at a scene that took place just behind the south end zone.

I was having a nice discussion with the lovely wife of Postplayer when I witnessed the Arlington girls' basketball coach verbally rape a group of parents from the visiting team. Apparently the group parked their blanket on the west side of the endzone (supposedly Arlington turf) and was cheering their team on when Mr. Girls' Basektball takes it upon himself to "instruct" this group they needed to move. It was not a request, he created a scene.

I was embarrassed for the group of folks, but much more embarrassed for the Arlington athletic program. What a shame to see a school representative act in such a manner.

I know he is 'royalty' in Arlington since winning a state championship with his girls basketball team, but come on, use better judgement. He is a representative of Arlington High School and needs to act professionally. I am not sure if this guy is a teacher or not, but if he is, the BOE should take a look at his contract.

I have been traveling to Arlington for football games since my younger days of rooting on my alma mater, Riverdale, and let me tell you the "facilities" that Arlington offers to the visiting team is not enough to even fit the Vanlue marching band, let alone the parents and fans of the visiting team. So, when a group of visitors had to sit, on a blanket, in the endzone, I think it is understandable.

Shame on you Mr. Arlington Girls Basketball and shame on the Arlington School District for not reprimanding your actions.

I was in that area also Falcon, though I did not see or hear what was said. From what I've been told, it could have been handled better. Also, it is my understanding that the Arlington coach was not the only person to say something to this individual, so it is very possible that some of what was said, did not come from the individual you think.

With that said, this LB father was there well before the band ever came out of the band room. I know, I was there before the band got to the field, and this father was already there. This father went out of his way to cause a problem, and he succeeded. When I got there, there was plenty of places on the visitors side to site, including in the stands. So they were not forced to sit on a blanket on the home side of the field. This particular area is where many Arlington fans stand every home game, so it is not an issue of people being forced together beause of the large crowd that night, and since this father was at the Riverdale game the week before, at the same area of the field, he knew full well what he was doing.

Whether at home or away, I always see fans from both teams talking with each other, whether they know each other or not. This included the Friday night game in question against LB. I've never seen anyone make comments or yell at fans from opposing teams that are walking though that area.

#7 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm not sure different rules apply for a school representative or not, how about just acting like adults in public? Many of the BVC stadiums don't have ample seating for everyone, especially the visitors. Also, many fans don't want to sit in the stands, and that's fine. I don't think it's necessary to have specified seating for different groups. Now, if the band typically sits in a certain section, then the school needs to rope that area off from the general public. But either end zone is fair game for both teams. It's kind of like church, there is not assigned seating, although many seem to sit in the same seat every week.

#8 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Visitors need to use a little common sense though. Like a few years back when a baseball coach from the the visiting school got the bright idea to stand in the southeast corner endzone at HN. Hellloooo McFly...

#9 DirtyPBear76

All District

• Members
  • 291 posts

Member No.: 3912

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

This topic is a joke caused by overreaction by someone. The situation wasn't as bad as you make it seem. Everyone has their own interpretation of a situation and starting things like this on a public forum is uncalled for

#10 Northwestsports

All State

• Members
  • 693 posts

Member No.: 3767

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostDirtyPBear76, on 07 September 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

This topic is a joke caused by overreaction by someone. The situation wasn't as bad as you make it seem. Everyone has their own interpretation of a situation and starting things like this on a public forum is uncalled for
Ok you must have been there so what did happen?
Working on the Chain Gang

#11 Corleone

All State

• Members
  • 614 posts

Member No.: 824

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

I was standing in the south end zone Friday before the game and know the family in question. Why they chose to sit on Arlington's half of the field I don't know, it could have been the angle to see the scoreboard was better the farther away they got. We said hi to them as they walked by, and about 10 minutes later back they came with chairs in tow. I said something to the effect "So they chased you out" and the dad in question said yes and kind of laughed it off. The female part of the posse looked like they could have used a hunting knife on someone if one was handy. ;)

Every time I attend an LB/Arlington game I always locate myself in the south end zone because more often than not there is some drama. Back in '04 (my son was playing then) I was standing with a group of parents of players, and were located on the LB half of the field, but very close to the Arlington side. Before the game was over one of the more vocal dads had a verbal spat with an Arlington coach/administrator (not a football coach). This particular individual from Arlington was throwing the F-bomb around the worse the game got for Arlington, and pretty soon the LB dad was jawing back and forth with the guy. Luckily it did not escalate into anything more, but ever since I can't resist standing at that end.

#12 Casual_fan

All District

• Members
  • 108 posts

Member No.: 9259

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

I wonder if this guy and his girlfriend will try the samething tonight at McComb, or if it was just something he pulled at Arlington.

Corleone, you're right, when he was walking past me, he wasn't saying anything. Of course, LB had just scored. On the other hand, his girlfriend was running her mouth non stop.

#13 wally

All League

• Members
  • 81 posts

Member No.: 5393

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

To start a topic like this, you have to be touched. Falcon86 is looking for a fight. He was probably the moron sitting in the end zone. My guess is he has a beef with Seth. Did the red devils beat your team in bball? wanh wanh wanh

I have known Seth for along time....you aren't half the man he is.

#14 DirtyPBear76

All District

• Members
  • 291 posts

Member No.: 3912

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

View PostNorthwestsports, on 07 September 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

Ok you must have been there so what did happen?

Yes something was said but....... to use the words verbally rape is way overboard.

#15 Northwestsports

All State

• Members
  • 693 posts

Member No.: 3767

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

Ok thanks I first heard about this from an Arlington person who said coach was out of line. But I wasn't there and I didn't see it.
Working on the Chain Gang

#16 Whiterabbit

All District

• Members
  • 388 posts

Member No.: 6146

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

I too just heard the story and another side myself at the shop, and it was from an Arlington faithful. From what he told me and he is big Atown supporter and level headed guy, the 'rape' comment far from truth but he (Seth) was out of line and he was embarrased for him. Just what I heard.

#17 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Member No.: 2544

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

No matter what the actual truth is...it appears there was a big lack of class displayed by either party involved. My personal opinion is that it boils down to the typical L-B "better-than-you" attitude vs. the Arlington "wanna-be-better-than-you" attitude. Pride can be a dangerous thing. Obviously not paying attention to all the pre-game sportsmanship reminders.

#18 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostCorleone, on 07 September 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

I was standing in the south end zone Friday before the game and know the family in question. Why they chose to sit on Arlington's half of the field I don't know, it could have been the angle to see the scoreboard was better the farther away they got. We said hi to them as they walked by, and about 10 minutes later back they came with chairs in tow. I said something to the effect "So they chased you out" and the dad in question said yes and kind of laughed it off. The female part of the posse looked like they could have used a hunting knife on someone if one was handy. ;)

Every time I attend an LB/Arlington game I always locate myself in the south end zone because more often than not there is some drama. Back in '04 (my son was playing then) I was standing with a group of parents of players, and were located on the LB half of the field, but very close to the Arlington side. Before the game was over one of the more vocal dads had a verbal spat with an Arlington coach/administrator (not a football coach). This particular individual from Arlington was throwing the F-bomb around the worse the game got for Arlington, and pretty soon the LB dad was jawing back and forth with the guy. Luckily it did not escalate into anything more, but ever since I can't resist standing at that end.

I need to go to an Arlington game wearing opposing school colors and sit in the south end zone...I would do it just for fun. :clap:

Edited by jeffcat-bucki, 09 September 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#19 cubbies4life

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Member No.: 3593

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postfalconfan84, on 08 September 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

No matter what the actual truth is...it appears there was a big lack of class displayed by either party involved. My personal opinion is that it boils down to the typical L-B "better-than-you" attitude vs. the Arlington "wanna-be-better-than-you" attitude. Pride can be a dangerous thing. Obviously not paying attention to all the pre-game sportsmanship reminders.

So if you don't know the truth, why make comments like this?

#20 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Member No.: 2544

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

View Postcubbies4life, on 08 September 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

So if you don't know the truth, why make comments like this?
Read my post as three separate statements.

The first sentence basically states that both parties involved lacked class in the way the situation was handled...regardless of what the actual truth was. I don't need to know the truth to make a statement like that. I don't care who started it. There was at least one person acting like an idiot, and possibly two. If it was handled in a mature, professional manner, it wouldn't be a topic on a forum like this, would it?...it would be a non-issue.

The second sentence is just me spouting off about how these two schools' fans seem to come across to many other schools' fans...just personal opinion, and one that I figured would draw a response from at least one person. No truths need to be presented for me to have this opinion on these two schools' fans.

The last two sentences also don't need specifics regarding this incident. When people can't get past the fact that these events are about the kids on the field instead of the parents in the stands (or the end zones, in this case), then there needs to be some "growing up" as far as the parents (or coaches) are concerned. Their pride gets in the way, they lacked maturity and sportsmanship, and basically did a poor job of representing their school district in the manner they should have.

Edited by falconfan84, 08 September 2012 - 08:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users