Best Junior High Teams in Northwest Ohio?

70 replies to this topic

#61 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

Honestly when these jr high kids get to the varsity level, its a whole new ball game. Some that stood out will hide in their shell while some may improve and become stars for their team. I've seen some good jr high teams become just average varsity players and some bad jr high teams become good varsity players. Sometimes it just depends I suppose. So it is good to know what good jr high teams are out there for the future of varsity, but I'm not going to be like watch out for that jr high team.
No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#62 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostMysterio, on 22 February 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

Honestly when these jr high kids get to the varsity level, its a whole new ball game. Some that stood out will hide in their shell while some may improve and become stars for their team. I've seen some good jr high teams become just average varsity players and some bad jr high teams become good varsity players. Sometimes it just depends I suppose. So it is good to know what good jr high teams are out there for the future of varsity, but I'm not going to be like watch out for that jr high team.

Right you also have to consider a good junior high team is just one good class, if they do not have solid groups before/ behind them they may not meet expectations.....which are usually unrealistic anyway since between jr. high and HS many kids quit working and improving/ quit growing/ or just plain quit the team.

That is why I don't read too much into Jr. high success as a harbinger for varsity success.

#63 Rd2Glory

All District

• Members
  • 495 posts

Member No.: 3050

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

View Postcaldwell, on 22 February 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Simpson and Walton, are these familar LCC names?

Caldwell, I know you're just trying to stir the pot as usual. But, Xavier Simpson's dad, Quincy "Coach Q" Simpson, might be the biggest LSH basketball fan and supporter out there. He wouldn't want his kid to play anywhere other than LSH and I know that for a fact. But, Xavier is at St. Charles, proving that it's not about sports for the vast majority of these families. It's about trying to give their kid what they believe to be a better opportunity in life.

If you're still against that because these kids started in the Catholic school system at age 10 instead of 4, fine. But, I don't think even you would try to argue that you have what's best for these kids in mind. Rather, you're more concerned with how it affects the win/loss column of Crestview, which is sad.

#64 NoSoup4U

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Member No.: 506

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Now now caldwell you are not supposed to notice that......

#65 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Member No.: 5879

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostRd2Glory, on 22 February 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Caldwell, I know you're just trying to stir the pot as usual. But, Xavier Simpson's dad, Quincy "Coach Q" Simpson, might be the biggest LSH basketball fan and supporter out there. He wouldn't want his kid to play anywhere other than LSH and I know that for a fact. But, Xavier is at St. Charles, proving that it's not about sports for the vast majority of these families. It's about trying to give their kid what they believe to be a better opportunity in life.

If you're still against that because these kids started in the Catholic school system at age 10 instead of 4, fine. But, I don't think even you would try to argue that you have what's best for these kids in mind. Rather, you're more concerned with how it affects the win/loss column of Crestview, which is sad.

What you think is best for these kids might not be what is best for the kids on the nine other teams in the NWC. which is sad!!

#66 Rd2Glory

All District

• Members
  • 495 posts

Member No.: 3050

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

View Postcaldwell, on 22 February 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

What you think is best for these kids might not be what is best for the kids on the nine other teams in the NWC. which is sad!!

What I said had nothing to do with what I think is best for the kids. I was talking about what their families think is best for them.

The point is that many people such as Quincy Simpson are electing to send their kids to LCC because they believe it provides them a better opportunity in life down the road, not for more basketball wins. And Coach Q, or anyone else, sending their kid to LCC has little to no effect on kids at the other NWC schools. Once a year, they will play a team that may, or may not, have been a little better than they otherwise would have, but that is not going to change their lives in the big picture in the least.

Quote from Coach Simpson: "My son didn't come from the LCS system, but I wanted him to a SPARTAN once in high school. People ask me why does my son go to LCC & my answer is this simple: THE GAME OF LIFE IS FAR BIGGER THAN THE GAME OF BASKETBALL!"

I'm not going to argue with you about this because you clearly think high school sports is life. Hopefully the current and future Knights can grow up a little more than you have.

#67 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

I have heard that Codlwater is good. By the time they are juniors and seniors though most of them will be playing CYO.

#68 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Member No.: 5879

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostRd2Glory, on 22 February 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

What I said had nothing to do with what I think is best for the kids. I was talking about what their families think is best for them. The point is that many people such as Quincy Simpson are electing to send their kids to LCC because they believe it provides them a better opportunity in life down the road, not for more basketball wins. And Coach Q, or anyone else, sending their kid to LCC has little to no effect on kids at the other NWC schools. Once a year, they will play a team that may, or may not, have been a little better than they otherwise would have, but that is not going to change their lives in the big picture in the least. Quote from Coach Simpson: "My son didn't come from the LCS system, but I wanted him to a SPARTAN once in high school. People ask me why does my son go to LCC & my answer is this simple: THE GAME OF LIFE IS FAR BIGGER THAN THE GAME OF BASKETBALL!" I'm not going to argue with you about this because you clearly think high school sports is life. Hopefully the current and future Knights can grow up a little more than you have.

Your recruiting does have an effect on the other kids in the NWC, one loss in football can make the difference in a team making the state playoffs are not?? You are cheating these kids.

#69 clutch

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Member No.: 2940

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

View Postcaldwell, on 22 February 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Your recruiting does have an effect on the other kids in the NWC, one loss in football can make the difference in a team making the state playoffs are not?? You are cheating these kids.

Lol you're cheating these kids because they get on here and read the idiotic things you say. Im just hoping they're smart enough to not think the way you do.
"You're a mess"

#70 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Honestly when these jr high kids get to the varsity level, its a whole new ball game.

I agree. My only reason for posting is that the quality of the individual athlete in the NWC seemed a lot better than average this year. There are a few players that would have started varsity this year. I don't remember a year past where I could say that. But team results definitley do not translate for reasons stated above.

But, Xavier Simpson's dad, Quincy "Coach Q" Simpson, might be the biggest LSH basketball fan and supporter out there.

Real good guy too. I don't blame him for sending his kid to LCC. If I had a child...I would want the best education opportunity for that child. In many cases, I believe LCC is the best place. Hell, if my kids were good enough, and they wanted them...they would be there.

This does not mean that I, or anybody, has to believe LCC was a good fit for the NWC. Can you respect the school, values, and institution while recognizing a poor fit?

I'm not sure if this fits this conversation. It just seems that so many times the general opinion of LCC gets lumped into the NWC conference fiasco. I respect the crap out of LCC (sans their football coach's attitude). Seems like a good school with a good mission. I wish them nothing but the best. Might even send a kid there one day if the situation warrants. This does not mean I think they had the right to self-determine their NWC worthiness. There are good reasons from BOTH sides that this union did not make sense. We've been through that.
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#71 dropNdimes

All League

• Members
  • 68 posts

Member No.: 5933

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Never said they were LCC names. . . . just names that are familiar around the Lima Area for hoops.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users