Baseball Coaching Jobs

40 replies to this topic

#1 lima ball

All District

• Members
  • 327 posts

Member No.: 7076

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:15 PM

Anyone know anything about Lima Senior's coach Jim Morris leaving and why they cannot get kids to play summer baseball?? The largest school in the Lima area and they don't have a summer team. Cannot blame Morris for leaving, he deserves better than what he has been delt there!! If the rumer is true some school is going to get a great coach. Good Luck to Jim in his future!!!

Edited by lima ball, 30 May 2011 - 10:12 PM.

#2 Restricted Call

All League

• Members
  • 95 posts

Member No.: 4292

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

Findlay is the biggest school in the area.

#3 white_shadow

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 309

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

I'm hearing there may not even be baseball at Lima Senior next spring.......that's unbelievable that a school that size cant find 12-15 kids in the entire high school that want to play baseball. Jimmy did a good job while he was there. They went from terrible to respectable in a fairly short period of time.

#4 tiger89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Member No.: 8944

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

Any truth to the Russia job being open?

#5 82bucks82

All District

• Members
  • 327 posts

Member No.: 3517

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

I had heard that Russia may be opening up? Where is coach Shoffner going? and Who would be the guy to take over Russia?

#6 Voice Of Reason

All State

• Members
  • 700 posts

Member No.: 34

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (82bucks82 @ Jul 7 2011, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had heard that Russia may be opening up? Where is coach Shoffner going? and Who would be the guy to take over Russia?

Sturwold?

#7 tiger89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Voice Of Reason @ Jul 10 2011, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sturwold?

Didnt he coach there before? Why did he leave?

#8 82bucks82

All District

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Voice Of Reason @ Jul 10 2011, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sturwold?

No way...Sturwold, in my opinion will finish his career at Loramie.

Already did the Russia thing, burned bridges, etc.

what about his JV coach Phlipot? He is a Russia grad

or Kinger...Lehman not going to be very good...looking for more wins for the career total, he may have interest.

or how about Papa Shoffner????

#9 tiger89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

Can't imagine Wayne would go there after his son resigned.

I can't see Kinger going there. Lives in Sidney and probably getting close to the end of his career, but I guess it could be a possibility.

If I remember correctly Loramies JV coach lives in Russia and works around there like the rest of the Loramie staff? That could be a real good possibility.

What about some former coaches from the area like Tim Blakely, Rick Gold, or Frosty Brown? Heard he is still in baseball at Wittenberg I believe? What about any other young up and comers in the area that may have a shot? I know Versailles has a couple of JV coaches that would be good people for that position.

#10 82bucks82

All District

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (tiger89 @ Jul 12 2011, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't imagine Wayne would go there after his son resigned.

I can't see Kinger going there. Lives in Sidney and probably getting close to the end of his career, but I guess it could be a possibility.

If I remember correctly Loramies JV coach lives in Russia and works around there like the rest of the Loramie staff? That could be a real good possibility.

What about some former coaches from the area like Tim Blakely, Rick Gold, or Frosty Brown? Heard he is still in baseball at Wittenberg I believe? What about any other young up and comers in the area that may have a shot? I know Versailles has a couple of JV coaches that would be good people for that position.

You think Russia would hire a "Versailles" guy??? smile.gif

#11 tiger89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (82bucks82 @ Jul 13 2011, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You think Russia would hire a "Versailles" guy??? smile.gif

From what I hear it's not the Russia we all grew up with thanks to new administration. I have heard from many people they have made it a point to show some people that they do not run the school beause of their wallets. Which probably does not sit well with a few people over there...Should be an interesting hire.

#12 BigDaddy

All League

• Members
  • 63 posts

Member No.: 3135

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (tiger89 @ Jul 14 2011, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I hear it's not the Russia we all grew up with thanks to new administration. I have heard from many people they have made it a point to show some people that they do not run the school beause of their wallets. Which probably does not sit well with a few people over there...Should be an interesting hire.

Very true statement by tiger89. Let's not forget about Russia current JV coach Frank Guillozet. He has been with the program for the last 3 years the kids like him and so does the administration.

Edited by BigDaddy, 17 July 2011 - 02:30 AM.

#13 82bucks82

All District

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Forgot about Frank, he would be good also. What about Metzler form Sidney...maybe trying to move to another program??? Or Hirsch from Covington, he would have experience.

#14 tiger89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

Rumor around the area is Russia will start interviews for the job next week and hire sometime the first week of August.

Heard alot of good names out there have interest in the job. It's going to be very interesting to see what route they take. The older generation guy with experience or a young up and comer. I'd like to see schools like Russia hire a young up and comer. I think it would be good for baseball all over the area. Seems like these young guys end up being JV guys for life then get out of baseball all together. Baseball deffinitly around this area has different types of coaches compared to basketball and football.

#15 tiger89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Heard today from an inside source that the front runners for the Russia job are the JV coach at Russia the past couple years and Sidney's head coach. Anybody heard anything else? Who else is interviewing? First round interviews this week and second round next week? Any idea why Sidney's coach is leaving D-1 for D-4? Players, parents, or money? Or all 3? If it was parents I wouldn't go to Russia to avoid that problem. Wouldn't that be something if Sidney had to hire a head football, boys and girls basketball, and baseball coach all in the same year? Says alot about the state of that districts athletics.

#16 The Nature Boy

• Members
  • 16 posts

Member No.: 956

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

There was a former Varsity coach with Head Coaching experience in today that has over 100 Varsity wins and put several kids into college.

QUOTE (tiger89 @ Jul 20 2011, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heard today from an inside source that the front runners for the Russia job are the JV coach at Russia the past couple years and Sidney's head coach. Anybody heard anything else? Who else is interviewing? First round interviews this week and second round next week? Any idea why Sidney's coach is leaving D-1 for D-4? Players, parents, or money? Or all 3? If it was parents I wouldn't go to Russia to avoid that problem. Wouldn't that be something if Sidney had to hire a head football, boys and girls basketball, and baseball coach all in the same year? Says alot about the state of that districts athletics.

#17 cbus25

• Members
  • 16 posts

Member No.: 6221

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (The Nature Boy @ Jul 21 2011, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was a former Varsity coach with Head Coaching experience in today that has over 100 Varsity wins and put several kids into college.

Which former head coach are you referring too? My understanding is they have several former and current head coaches that applied, along with one former head coach that has over 500 wins.

#18 WadesTeam

All League

• Members
  • 20 posts

Member No.: 8639

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (tiger89 @ Jul 20 2011, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is wrong with the parents at Russia? I've been to a couple Russia games the past year or so. Never noticed anything wrong with the parents.

#19 The Nature Boy

• Members
  • 16 posts

Member No.: 956

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

Metzler, King, and one other has had interviews that I know of......

#20 tiger89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (The Nature Boy @ Jul 21 2011, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Metzler, King, and one other has had interviews that I know of......

When Did Dave King get involved in this? I can not imagine him leaving Lehman for Russia when he lives in Sidney?

Talked to a guy last night and told me Hirsch from Covington is the only person to not interview yet (Monday morning). The other interviews they did were Hemmelgarn (Versailles JV coach), Phlipot (JV coach at Loramie), Rick Gold (legend), Guillozet (Russia JV coach), Metzler (Sidney Head Coach), and one other person that he couldn't remember there name, said they had never heard of him. They are then going to call back the top 2 or 3.

From water cooler talk with very reliable resources Hemmelgarn is out (not hiring a versailles guy), and phlipot is out even though he was a finalist when they hired Shoffner. Heard they eliminated him because they feared numbers would drop after kids and parents have seen how he is coaching against Russoa. I have also heard that Rick Gold may be out because they want to avoid a 2 or 3 year coach, looking for a long term solution. Russia has been through something like 4 coaches in 10 years.

Metzler is an intriguing candidate. Made a district final with Sidney, but hasn't won much else. Also heard that Sidney players are rooting for him to get that job? Hirsch is another intriguing guy. Know he has had some success at Covington and gotten there numbers up. Dont know much about the Guillozet kid personally but heard alot of good things about him from outside sources. And my source tells me he works in the school and is very well liked around the school, especially administration. Dont know the other guys name so I'll say he's a non factor.

I can't imagine turning down a guy that has over 500 wins. Deffinitly the best resume of the group. But if they are looking long term I'd say it may be between Metzler, Guillozet, and Hirsch. I'll give it to Metzler because of his D-1 experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users