OG baseball

61 replies to this topic

#1 Meathead

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Member No.: 7285

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

Work with guys from og they claim they have a good group of guys coming up the next couple years. Does anybody know .

#2 hunt4em

All District

• Members
  • 256 posts

Member No.: 4444

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

They always seem to win at the youth levels, then hit high school with average teams. What happens? Maybe basketball is taking players focus? Thoughts?

#3 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (hunt4em @ Nov 25 2010, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They always seem to win at the youth levels, then hit high school with average teams. What happens? Maybe basketball is taking players focus? Thoughts?

Basketball and football take focus once these players get in highschool, that is one thing...........also many standout baseball players at the youth level opt to run track in the spring once they get to High School.

As for what meathead has posted there is a considerable amount of talent in the freshman class, but let's see how it develops.

#4 Meathead

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Member No.: 7285

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Nov 25 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basketball and football take focus once these players get in highschool, that is one thing...........also many standout baseball players at the youth level opt to run track in the spring once they get to High School.

As for what meathead has posted there is a considerable amount of talent in the freshman class, but let's see how it develops.

Falcon your right once in high school alot of it depends on what your friends do or you will be out of the loop. This freshmen group had two great spring ball seasons in 7th and 8th grade hopfully they stay together. They said a couple boys played jr acme and even acme last year

#5 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

keep this one on track rolleyes.gif
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#6 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Member No.: 5879

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

I saw approx. 75 baseball games this summer. OG has by far the best player that I saw at any position. He can catch, or play any other position, besides pitching.
Worth coming out to see!!! No I'm not his Dad??

#7 atheplatejoe

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Member No.: 7300

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (caldwell @ Nov 30 2010, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw approx. 75 baseball games this summer. OG has by far the best player that I saw at any position. He can catch, or play any other position, besides pitching.
Worth coming out to see!!! No I'm not his Dad??

If we are talking about ottawa legion ball, I don't recall an OG player playing anything but catcher and a small bit of middle infield. The young man did not play first base or outfield. And I remember there being a couple darn good OF and a SS that were pretty darn good. Mangus and Mesker in the outfield were outstanding. The OG kid was good but I wouldn't say he was by far the best in the field. The Legion team will miss the Mesker kid. He could hit, run, and I don't recall there being a ball hit to the outfield he didn't snag. The Mangus kid from Leipsic, has the best 60 time around. And there were at least ten kids on the team that batted better then the OG kid. He is a good addition to any team and has a ton to offer to any team he is on. But surround any good player with some other pretty darn sweet players, and that good player will shine too. The Ottawa Legion will have some tough spots to fill with many now too old to play. Not sure how many on the roster will return. I know Mangus and Schroeder are still eligible to play. As is Guisinger and few others. Not sure however if all of them plan to play again this summer due to other commitments and such.

#8 withinreason

All League

• Members
  • 24 posts

Member No.: 3838

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (atheplatejoe @ Nov 30 2010, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we are talking about ottawa legion ball, I don't recall an OG player playing anything but catcher and a small bit of middle infield. The young man did not play first base or outfield. And I remember there being a couple darn good OF and a SS that were pretty darn good. Mangus and Mesker in the outfield were outstanding. The OG kid was good but I wouldn't say he was by far the best in the field. The Legion team will miss the Mesker kid. He could hit, run, and I don't recall there being a ball hit to the outfield he didn't snag. The Mangus kid from Leipsic, has the best 60 time around. And there were at least ten kids on the team that batted better then the OG kid. He is a good addition to any team and has a ton to offer to any team he is on. But surround any good player with some other pretty darn sweet players, and that good player will shine too. The Ottawa Legion will have some tough spots to fill with many now too old to play. Not sure how many on the roster will return. I know Mangus and Schroeder are still eligible to play. As is Guisinger and few others. Not sure however if all of them plan to play again this summer due to other commitments and such.

I agree. There were a number of solid players and the organization is run by some great people. The bottom line is that all the players should be supported and best wishes to all those that play at any level. Those that are not coming back and are committed to play in college are to be congratulated. While I did not see all the Ottawa games, I can say that the games I saw were "team efforts". Good luck to the team next year too.

#9 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Member No.: 5879

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (withinreason @ Nov 30 2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. There were a number of solid players and the organization is run by some great people. The bottom line is that all the players should be supported and best wishes to all those that play at any level. Those that are not coming back and are committed to play in college are to be congratulated. While I did not see all the Ottawa games, I can say that the games I saw were "team efforts". Good luck to the team next year too.

Correct, many players that I saw at the Legion Level will be playing scholarship ball soon. Magus and Schroeder from the Ottawa team are two of them. Three or four of the Ottawa players are already on college rosters.

#10 outsideshooter

All League

• Members
  • 23 posts

Member No.: 4968

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

the problem with og baseball when the kids get to highschool is coaching..just because his dad was a good coach doesnt mean he is.

#11 dw629

All State

• Members
  • 827 posts

Member No.: 5046

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE (outsideshooter @ Dec 12 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the problem with og baseball when the kids get to highschool is coaching..just because his dad was a good coach doesnt mean he is.

Is this a serious post?? They were competitive last season with minimal talent .. It has nothing to do with coaching it has to do with talent and the competition they play is very good.. Under Miller they will never go back to the embarrassing years they had under Meyer

Millers first 3 seasons
2007 - 14-8 3rd WBL
2008 - 18-5 3rd WBL
2009 - 9-8 6th WBL

3 seasons before Miller under Meyer
2004 - 13-11 7th WBL
2005 - 7-15 9th WBL
2006 - 5-18 9th WBL

Edited by dw629, 13 December 2010 - 03:25 AM.

#12 outsideshooter

All League

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

unless you have played for him, you cant say anything. coaching sometimes is more then winning, why dont u ask the seniors from the last how many years how many of them didnt even get to play at all on their senior night in a game that meant nothing. to be a good coach you have to show a little respect to your players!!

#13 FanMan

All State

• Members
  • 572 posts

Member No.: 5169

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (outsideshooter @ Dec 15 2010, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
unless you have played for him, you cant say anything. coaching sometimes is more then winning, why dont u ask the seniors from the last how many years how many of them didnt even get to play at all on their senior night in a game that meant nothing. to be a good coach you have to show a little respect to your players!!

Respect needs to go both ways...... huh.gif

#14 outsideshooter

All League

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (FanMan @ Dec 15 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Respect needs to go both ways...... huh.gif

you are absolutely right but he is the coach and he wnt get respect untill he starts showing it towards the players

#15 baseballguru

All League

• Members
  • 28 posts

Member No.: 7290

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (outsideshooter @ Dec 16 2010, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you are absolutely right but he is the coach and he wnt get respect untill he starts showing it towards the players

During Miller's tenure as coach he has never made the seniors last game anything special. His coaching style is to win as many as possible. If the senior hasn't made the starting lineup after 4 years in the program why should he get a start for one game?

#16 outsideshooter

All League

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (baseballguru @ Dec 16 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
During Miller's tenure as coach he has never made the seniors last game anything special. His coaching style is to win as many as possible. If the senior hasn't made the starting lineup after 4 years in the program why should he get a start for one game?

are you kidding me? your telling me you wouldnt play a senior that has shown up to every practice and worked hard all 4 years , his last game on that home field usually with family members there. you must not have ever had a kid play sports or else you would know!!

#17 baseballguru

All League

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (outsideshooter @ Dec 16 2010, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you kidding me? your telling me you wouldnt play a senior that has shown up to every practice and worked hard all 4 years , his last game on that home field usually with family members there. you must not have ever had a kid play sports or else you would know!!

Pay Attention! I said what Miller has done. If the player showed for all practices and really worked hard he wouldn't be still sitting the bench for his last home game.

#18 dw629

All State

• Members
  • 827 posts

Member No.: 5046

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (outsideshooter @ Dec 16 2010, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So if you son would've showed and worked hard for Shriner or Lesie he should start for the basketball and football team too? I agree maybe he should've played your kid in a meaningless game but if your 18 years old complaining about not playing one game your in for a long life

#19 labatts69

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Member No.: 695

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (dw629 @ Dec 17 2010, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if you son would've showed and worked hard for Shriner or Lesie he should start for the basketball and football team too? I agree maybe he should've played your kid in a meaningless game but if your 18 years old complaining about not playing one game your in for a long life

gotta disagree here. we have had many kids come thru the system in continental and every last home game/parents night for basketball homier always starts the seniors. i know one certain kid who worked his butt off every day but just was not athletically gifted. when he got to start that game everyone in the crowd cheered when he made his first bucket. the program is for the kids and not just winning. now, if the kids don't work hard then we have an entirely different argument.
2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013 - Champion
Fantasy Baseball -RCBL

#20 baseballguru

All League

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (labatts69 @ Dec 17 2010, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gotta disagree here. we have had many kids come thru the system in continental and every last home game/parents night for basketball homier always starts the seniors. i know one certain kid who worked his butt off every day but just was not athletically gifted. when he got to start that game everyone in the crowd cheered when he made his first bucket. the program is for the kids and not just winning. now, if the kids don't work hard then we have an entirely different argument.
Can't compare the sports. Basketball, you can change players at will. If the program isn't about winning then why keep score or won-loss records?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users