OG coach to step down?

53 replies to this topic

#21 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:40 AM

Tonight OG got run-ruled (again) 14-0 by a good Shawnee team..............the Titans move ever so closer to the precipice, as their record stands at 5-16 overall with just that lonely win vs. Kenton in the WBL..........the stink at Stinkys tonight was heard loud and clear by a couple of the OG fans after the game.....(and well into the night as you can tell by my post time smile.gif )...........zooooooom
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#22 Cake-eater

All League

• Members
  • 32 posts

Member No.: 95

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:01 AM

I think all this complaining is for not....look at the board agenda and seen coach being rehired. Good for the school board to not listen to the parents and listen to the athletic director...let him do his job.

#23 Big_Kahuna

• Members
  • 16 posts

Member No.: 83

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:48 AM

RocketMan;

I will bow to your knowledge of the situation, especially since I heard the A.D., super and the newest board member held a gathering on Sunday afternoon. I see the super has recommended that the coach be rehired, but with the two board members being parents of baseball players I’m sure the board won’t listen to his recommendation this time. It seems the board chooses when to say “were not here all the time so we have to go with the super’s recommendations” or “we were elected to run things the way we see fit”. laugh.gif Anyway it’s another sad day for coaches who have to succumb to whininess of parents who see it more fit to blame the coach rather than take a hard look at the players the coach has available to work with. Like the JV coach forced to apologize to the players for yelling at poor Johnny who couldn’t follow the coaches instructions. Yup, that would be the coaches fault, no doubt the player knows more than the coach. While yes they were run ruled by a decent Shawnee team it would have been a better game if the coach had not dropped those fly balls, over thrown the first baseman, fumble the ball in the infield, or pitched a little better, and of course if he remembered that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. But then again he is getting older. Maybe one of those school board members could be out in the backyard with their son practicing how to catch fly balls and grounders instead of running around trying to find ways to stab the coach in the back.

Anybody who takes an objective review of team would see that with the talent available, they have done just about what one should expect. Of course in Titan land, heck they even complained about their previous basketball coach not doing a decent job, his only saving grace is that he was blessed with some great coaches and players who made him look good, because he didn’t know what he was doing either. Next up might be the football coach, it doesn’t sound like he will have too much to work with either. ohmy.gif Most parents just like to head to the bars and complain how much better it would be if ONLY. ohmy.gif

#24 Harley

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Member No.: 415

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:34 PM

Big Kahuna

Your correct high school baseball players should be able to make some of the basic plays we are not making. However when you don't practice those routine plays on a baseball field during baseball season you will not even make the routine plays.

Then you mention with the talent available? Actually OG has many Juniors and Seniors that were very capable baseball players but given the state of the OG program they have dropped out over the past few years. OG easily has 4 or 5 guys that helped the soccer, football and basketball teams to fine seasons that are not playing baseball beyond Jr High.

#25 VikingFan

All State

• Members
  • 599 posts

Member No.: 31

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:55 AM

I don't know a lot about this situation but to say that OG is lacking in available talent is a joke. Maybe the talent on the team is not good enough to compete day after day. But there is way too much talent in that town to not have 9 good / very good baseball players, you see it in every other male sport.

#26 Big_Kahuna

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:14 AM

I certainly understand what you are saying but you do need to look a little deeper than coach should have more practices. First and foremost who is stopping anyone from working out on their own if they feel the need for more practice. With games 4 nights a week, then Saturday and of course you must count out Wed and sun, and then factor in the weather there actually is very little time for actual outdoor practice during the week. And then God forbid some parent would then complain that the kids are not getting enough rest or time off and the coach is working them too hard. Example, how many parents do you think complained about your JV coach being “too tough” on you youngsters (not just in baseball).

Are there kids that could help out the baseball team that don’t ? Yes. Just like there are kids that could help the football, soccer, basketball, tennis teams if they went out. Maybe you are to young to remember (no disrespect), but when the football team went 0-10 or 1-9 for several seasons this same argument was raised. If we’re winning more kids would go out for the team. If you look at the number of kids playing football it is not much different the last several years than it was when they were 0-10. I think even the coach was surprised that with the limited success that he’s enjoyed it hasn’t drastically increased the numbers. Talking with a lot of kids over time it is quite clear that baseball is just not the popular as it used to be. For what ever reason that is just a fact. smile.gif

Mr. Viking;

Please show me where I said “OG is lacking in available talent ". I said the team was doing about right with the talent they had. In other words with the kids playing on the team currently and their level of talent they are about where you’d expect them to be record wise.

As for the other sports PLEASE just take a closer look, tennis, wrestling and golf pop into the mind without much effort. All male sports but actually doing worse overall then the baseball program. No disrespect intended to those athletes but not every sport within OG matches the success of the basketball program.

sad.gif

Edited by Big_Kahuna, 09 May 2006 - 07:16 AM.

#27 VikingFan

All State

• Members
  • 599 posts

Member No.: 31

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

I took the phrase "with the talent available" to mean to talent available in the OG school not available on the team.

#28 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:49 PM

Actually Kahuna the boys tennis team has been pretty good for OG in the last 5 years...........the golf team has also been more than competitive...............the wrestling program alas has not been very good.......BUT it is the same season as basketball wink.gif .........although they have had MANY different coaches since the baseball coach's tenure........

the last WBL title was in 1982?................25 years ago, with no end in sight..........I guess if you're a Cleveland Indians fan it doesn't bother you..........it's been almost 60 years for them rolleyes.gif I think tonight is the school board meeting for supplemental contracts............maybe someone from OG can find out the scoop and report it later tonight?..............zoooom

#29 titanman

All District

• Members
  • 423 posts

Member No.: 147

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(Rocketman @ May 9 2006, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually Kahuna the boys tennis team has been pretty good for OG in the last 5 years...........the golf team has also been more than competitive...............the wrestling program alas has not been very good.......BUT it is the same season as basketball wink.gif .........although they have had MANY different coaches since the baseball coach's tenure........

the last WBL title was in 1982?................25 years ago, with no end in sight..........I guess if you're a Cleveland Indians fan it doesn't bother you..........it's been almost 60 years for them rolleyes.gif I think tonight is the school board meeting for supplemental contracts............maybe someone from OG can find out the scoop and report it later tonight?..............zoooom

#30 ByronTribe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Member No.: 799

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

I havn't posted for awhile so I could kind of gather in information from many that have contrasting views of the situation. Again where and what kind job would allow for such failure to continue. I am amazed because the only people that support the current coach have personal relationships with him because it cannot be anthing but that. How in the world can FAILURE be accepted. At some point you have to get the younger kids excited about the program. There absolutely no buzz about this program moving forward. How can anybody with any sense of HONESTY say that this coach has earned to keep this job based on the last 20 plus years. There are so many people that have...and still are donating their time towards getting the program turned around....and for what? I'm am sick and tired of this whole mess....if anybody can honestly say that its not time for change...than that means you should be happy being average teacher, administrator or what ever you are. Average doesn't cut it in mind. So if you enjoy being average and mediocre than I hope we extend the contract for this below average coach. THIS WHOLE SUBJECT IS THE BIGGEST JOKE AROUND.....TAKE AWAY ANY PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH THIS COACH AND LOOK AT THE PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM....YOU CANNOT IN YOUR RIGHT MIND SAY HE DESERVES TO CONTINUE! ***And by the way who ever heard of coach calling their own player an idiot on the field. I bet that reserve coach felt really Big about himself after that. That just takes someone really special to do that....so I can see how a parent might be upset. If we had a qualified coaching staff with some leadership than this episode probably wouldn't have happended. I can't believe that if your on a JV baseball team that you wouldn't be allowd to throw a curve ball. Some of the best coaches in the COUNTRY teach how to throw a curve ball for Little Leaguers without hurting your arm. Spend the time to learn what you are coaching before calling the next player an idiot. Maybe you should look in the mirror!

#31 titanman

All District

• Members
  • 423 posts

Member No.: 147

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

Big Kahuna!

I'm concerned with your "statement of the facts" regarding the amount of talent on the OGHS baseball team. I'm not sure what qualifies you to testify to that fact; but, the OG baseball team is loaded with talent. A lot of talent going to waste! All of these kids have had many successful Little League and Pony League careers. They have consistantly won 1st and 2nd place tropheys at the Pony League level (while playing for split Ottawa/Glandorf teams). At the high school level, when the teams are joined together, they are not able to compete with the WBL teams, let alone the Putnam County teams. Your measure of talent for the OG baseball team is greatly unnoticed.

You would think that the day after suffering a run-rule loss, practice might be a little tougher than most. Not at OG. You might think the team would be on the diamond practicing catching fly balls, fielding ground balls, fielding bunts, and throwing someone out at first base. NO, our team takes batting practice, in the cage, and leaves when their turn is up. Could this have something to do with the team's record?

Maybe you should research your facts regarding Titan Baseball prior to bashing the talent of the kids on the team. It's time that the OG administration do what's right for the kids and get them the leadership they need to get the job done! GO TITANS!

#32 Big_Kahuna

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:26 AM

Ahhhh biggrin.gif Titanman you question my right to give my opinion about this situation and about stating facts and yet your only fact as you call it is that these boys were successful in little league or pony league. Which I never questioned that they were or were not good. Lower level success does not guarantee success at the varsity level. Never has and never will.

I never “bashed” the talent on this team. They certainly have to accept some of the responsibility for their record however. I said their record was about right for the talent that is currently on the roster. Since you like facts please check the ERA’s of the pitching staff, errors per game and batting percentages. I’ve never said the kids are bad but facts are facts. Talent level is subjective you have yours and I have mine. I do find it interesting that in one statement you say how great they are in little league and pony league but yet they need tougher practices with two games left in the season to work on ground balls, pop ups and throwing to first base. Interesting.

Bottom line as a student you’re entitled to your opinion and other people are entitled to theirs. Some day you may learn that.

My last comments of the situation since by now you will all be making plans for Columbus next year with a new coach. It is possible to support the notation of not removing coaches from high school sports based solely on their records without having a personal relationship with the coach. Just like it’s possible to write derogatory comments about the coach without having a personal hatred towards him.

Don’t coaches call pitches in baseball any more, they sure do where I come from. So when a coach calls for a pitch and the freshman pitcher throws something else and the other team gets a hit and scores runs based on that I would expect a coach to be a little upset. The coach doesn’t say he can’t throw a curve ball it just wasn’t what he called for. Before you write back I did check this with a reliable third party. Not the coach or the player’s parents or any other player’s parents. We can agree to disagree about this. The larger point is a coach yelled at a player for making a mistake not exactly the first time that’s happened. Should he have used that word, debatable have heard much worse. But the proper way for the player to handle it was to talk with the coach after the game express his concerns and see what the coach says. If that doesn’t go well then maybe the parents should get involved. Sports should teach the kids life lessons, not that the parents need to go whine to the super every time something happens they don’t like.

smile.gif

#33 Cake-eater

All League

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:29 AM

ByronTribe,

If you are going to say anything about the idiot statement you might want to ask some of the players on the team and stop listening to one set of parents. According to my neighbor who was on the bench next to the JV coach.... he(JV coach) said "then do it" and he and many others on the team were really upset that the coach had to appologize for something he did not say. You also might want to ask more of the JV parents there stance on the entire thing and stop talking to just "one" set of parents.....

#34 jojo13

• Members
  • 15 posts

Member No.: 411

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:43 AM

Well it looks like the "lynch mob" finally got what they wanted with the resignation of Stan Myers. Now the next question is, Who in their right mind would take this job? Upset the wrong player or family and the noose will be ever so gently placed around your neck. I dont know if there was a need for him to resign or not, that is not my place to say. But when pressure from parents with their own agenda decides the fate of the coach......Not good. So now what? A parent will want the job for a year or 2 until little Johnny can be a superstar and then it will be passed on to the next phenom's parent. But just remember...Be careful what you ask for.

#35 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:09 PM

Get Back JoJo,
Where did you hear this news?.............I anticipated this, and coming from some of the OG fans welcome..............the next coach-in-waiting is a former OG grad who actually played for the ex-coach........he currently is at a BVC school, but would certainly welcome the chance to return home......zooom

#36 Cake-eater

All League

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:22 PM

Rocketman,

You are a wealth of knowledge, but I thought the AD did the hiring at all schools. Just because this young man wants to come back does not mean he is going to get the job, or maybe that is who the parents want. What if a oghs staff member wants the job? There are ex baseball coaches in the system. I just hope that parents are happy and if they think it is all well, I am not so sure!!!! What if the new coach does not win....are they going to go to the board again? I would hate to be a coach in the OGHS system right now!!!

#37 Harley

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Member No.: 415

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

I believe that this Baseball job to a baseball guy is equally as attractive as Josh Leslie saw the Basketball job. Essentially you have the same system, in that 40some boys are playing jr. high baseball in the two communities.
Not sure we will ever know how many applicants applied for the basketball job, but I would guess you will get several interested applicants for this baseball job. Lets face it the expectation bar is not very high for this program at the present time.
And as far as the present parents being the problem all you have to do is talk with anybody that has been involved in the program over the past 5 years or so and they will tell you this has been long overdue.

#38 Lebron_23

All League

• Members
  • 41 posts

Member No.: 412

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:51 PM

Here is something for you guys to think about in little league both ottawa teams were in the championships and both glandorf teams were in the consolation games. Then in pony league ottawa placed 2nd and glandorf placed 4th and your trying to tell me that they are playing at there potential. Give me a break!

#39 Candy

All District

• Members
  • 289 posts

Member No.: 792

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(Lebron_23 @ May 13 2006, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is something for you guys to think about in little league both ottawa teams were in the championships and both glandorf teams were in the consolation games. Then in pony league ottawa placed 2nd and glandorf placed 4th and your trying to tell me that they are playing at there potential. Give me a break!

Are you honestly telling me that you are judging the ability of a hig school team by how they performed in little league. If I am correct, Ottawa and Glandorf play in the pony league with the PCL schools and a few extras (small DIV schools). They now play in the WBL which is becoming a very very good baseball conference. A lot of things change from the junior high to high school. I think that is an unfair comparison Lebron_23.

#40 Lebron_23

All League

• Members
  • 41 posts

Member No.: 412

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

You can not tell me that this team has no talent. They competed at the jv level last year and now the cant hardly beat a PCL team at the Varsity level. They can win and I bet you that next year there record will be almost reversed

Ottawa-Glandorf could be a baseball power house if all that kids that use to play baseball still played. Once they get to high school they think that baseball is boring and the program stinks so they move on the other sports.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users