OG coach to step down?

53 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

Just got back from family Easter where I heard that the OG school board has asked the current baseball coach to step down at the end of this season.........I will be checking with my baseball insiders tomorrow to find out more particulars..........can't say that I'm shocked by this news, but I would have thought they would have waited until the conclusion of the season at hand............

Maybe now OG can get their baseball program up to the standards that they've come to expect from their other athletic teams............a few names were bantered about today, and none of the names are current coaches in the system.........zoooooom
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#2 ByronTribe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Member No.: 799

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(Rocketman @ Apr 16 2006, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got back from family Easter where I heard that the OG school board has asked the current baseball coach to step down at the end of this season.........I will be checking with my baseball insiders tomorrow to find out more particulars..........can't say that I'm shocked by this news, but I would have thought they would have waited until the conclusion of the season at hand............

Maybe now OG can get their baseball program up to the standards that they've come to expect from their other athletic teams............a few names were bantered about today, and none of the names are current coaches in the system.........zoooooom

#3 ByronTribe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:39 PM

It's about time...the program has been going down for quite awhile. I was on the last WBL Championship team back in 1982. There is almost no excitement about baseball at OG even though the Little League and Pony League programs have been very successful over the last 15 years, for both Ottawa and Glandorf. I hope new coach is young, energetic with a strong baseball background. You need someone that is sincerely excited about baseball and wants the program to succeed. I hope the new coach can keep some of the really good athletes out for baseball. It seems that some of the best young players give up on baseball when they get to High School. Mainly because there is no excitement in the program...kids decide to focus on summer basketball or physical conditioning for football. This is where the right coach could make the difference....instead of having a coach that would just go through the motions and was content with mediocrity.

#4 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

To me it seems in many teams around here the players are losing interest and are not putting together good teams....There are a few good teams but otehr than that it seems pretty low....
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#5 Big_Kahuna

• Members
  • 16 posts

Member No.: 83

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

Or could this just be another case of two parents that aren't happy their little children aren't playing enough and/or playing at the level they should be and they just happen to be on the school board. From what I've heard and read about the school board is they are a very vendictive group. mad.gif

Edited by Big_Kahuna, 17 April 2006 - 02:21 PM.

#6 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:43 PM

Tribetime,
Do you know if there is any other sport where OG has gone that long between WBL titles?.......it does seem that baseball has just been an afterthought for the past 15 years.........and welcome to the RocketCorner...........it's always good to have another long-suffering Indians fan here cool.gif

BigK,
I don't see where there is any school board member's kids playing...........I think this was more a case of more than a few parents, and assorted well-wishers going to the school board though..........was that the most politically correct manner to accomplish this task?.......definitely not sad.gif ..........but when there is no pizzaz in the program things will/must change...........I believe you'll be hard-pressed to find any OG fans to come to this one's defense...........zoooooom

#7 Harley

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Member No.: 415

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:10 PM

Kahuna,
Agree with Rocketman, this has nothing to do with Mommy's boy not getting treated properly. This has been long overdue. Finally took a group of people with some Kahuna's to step up to the plate and say something. Best athletes consistently have not participated, kids not allowed to lift weights, practices consist of 10 swings in the cage.
This will be interesting to see how this plays out over next few weeks.

#8 ByronTribe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:16 PM

My complaints about the current condition of the program are based on facts. Look at what shape the program is currently in. Every year the numbers are down especially upper classmen. The program continues to lose and slide into the tradition of losing. When I walked onto the field ever since little league to college....I thought we were going to win every game no matter who we played. These kids today walk onto the field thinking their going to lose, there is no expectations of winning the league or going far into the tourney. When OG's Basketball hit rock bottom during the mid 70's a new coach named Ron Niekamp came in. He started basketball in the mornings for 5th & 6th graders and changed the attitudes of many young men. By 1980 the basketball program had turned things around and made 2 trips to the State Tourney. The new coach with a new attitude had a major impact on a program that was terrible shape. As you can see the rest is history. Back in the 90's the football program was at an almost all time low. The new coach was Ken Shriner who again brought a new attitude and energy to program that looked hopless. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you do need athletes to compete but, you need alot more than that. There is no questions the athletes are there....the only question is do we have the right person leading the program. I believe the current coach is really a good person but, his time has passed and it is time for a change. 20 years of letting a program slide into a tradition of losing with no expectations of winning is enough! What other sport would allow a coach to have this type of record of losing games and losing potential players. Since my kids are a few years away from High School I hope things change soon!! My heart goes out to all the parents and players currently in High School and the past players that never had the chance to experience what I had. What I had was a real CHANCE to Win....isn't that what all players really want.

#9 doughash

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Member No.: 135

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:58 PM

Well said Byron. Any time mediocrity becomes acceptable in an athletic program it seems the only way out is a change at the top. I think its time.

#10 Big_Kahuna

• Members
  • 16 posts

Member No.: 83

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

Rocket,

I'm pretty sure there are two, one confirmed. I believe this issue is alot deeper too but I have to lean towards Joe. I just don't think there are enough kids who think baseball is fun regardless of who the coach is. While it is true you have some die hard people who think it's still america's past time, it's not.

#11 ByronTribe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

When your losing its not usually fun. I bet if you ask the kids from Defiance or Patrick Henry if they are having fun you'd get a different answer than the kids in our program.

#12 Lebron_23

All League

• Members
  • 41 posts

Member No.: 412

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:45 PM

There is no truth to that at all that he is stepping down. There are a group of parents from the area that would like to have him step down. As of right now he will be the coach of the Titans next year.

#13 ByronTribe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:12 PM

Maybe it won't be his choice? If he really wanted the job don't you think he be promoting baseball with the students.....going out and talking with the younger kids in Glandorf and Ottawa. How about really working with the kids instead of just having 1 or 2 practices with very little live action before playing your 1st game. It seems to me it wouldn't hurt to practice once the season has started. I can remember when the school didn't have the facilities that they have now. Back in the late 70's and early 80's we use to have to go out the Fair Grounds and rig up a batting cage out plastic sheeting and hit tennis balls during the Winter with NO heat and very little lighting. I've heard through a reliable source that their son only saw like 12 live pitches outside before the first game. I have also heard many of the same type of stories over the last few years by many of the past players and parents. Just because baseball is currently under the radar screen....it doesn't mean we have to accept the poor condition of the baseball program. The coach is expected to win or maintain a successful program over a period of time. I don't see a history of much recent success and worst of all I don't see the effort to turn the program around. All I know is that if I don't perform my job very well and just go through the motions, I'd probably would lose my job. So why is coaching a failing program any different than the average person who is expected perform on their job to maintain employment.

#14 unsunghero

All District

• Members
  • 153 posts

Member No.: 269

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:45 AM

I think this forum is evidence enough that problems need to be addressed in the baseball program at O-G This is the only topic where O-G is even mentioned in this forum. There seems to be plenty of posters interested in O-G but not a single score has been posted. Not a single player mentioned. For that matter I haven't heard anything about softball either. Is softball sitting in the same stagnant quagmire at O-G? Is there any life out there?

#15 dawger

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Member No.: 43

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

Actually I think OG Softball is pretty decent..... unsure.gif ....... cool.gif
Philippians 4:13

DAWGER

#16 Guest_Lester B_*

• Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:10 PM

Sounds to me ByronTribe should be taking this team over. smile.gif

#17 belmoreboys

All State

• Members
  • 703 posts

Member No.: 334

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:48 AM

wow thats shocking to here
HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

#18 ByronTribe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:27 PM

I wish I had the time to tell all the bad stories about the current situation the baseball program is currently in. If your a real baseball lover... it makes you sick.

#19 Guest_Lester B_*

• Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:56 AM

Trust me Byron I know what you mean. If you are who I think you are you should know what I'm currently trying to do. I used to play ball for you years ago.

#20 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:22 PM

Big Kahuna,
the ball is gonna drop this Tuesday night at the monthly school board meeting..........their voices have been heard, I've heard smile.gif ............the very, very, very early frontrunner is a former OG grad, who if they could find him a teaching job would be here in a jiffy..........zoooom

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users