Shelby County Baseball

57 replies to this topic

#1 Redskin For Life

All League

• Members
  • 77 posts

Member No.: 1890

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

Whats the county look like in baseball this year?
I know it a little early but what does the early outlook look like?

#2 Beast57

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Member No.: 4383

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

botkins trojans all the way...

#3 tribeguy13

All District

• Members
  • 355 posts

Member No.: 1861

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Beast57 @ Jan 24 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
botkins trojans all the way...

Obviously you are misinformed...
I think that the league, much like basketball this year, will be down. Aside from the frontrunner (Loramie) the rest is pretty much a crapshoot.

1) Loramie - The class was down last year, and they returned to state. I think that with a combination of experienced players like Schulze, Maurer, and Ahlers, combined with players like Mitch Boerger, Jake Boerger, Justin Hoying, and Mitch Raterman, they'll be a tough offensive club. Not to mention last post-seasons break out star, Sophomore Andy Schieltz. It'll be interesting to see how the Redskins do, with a good mix of young and old.
2) Anna - I'm not exactly sure what Anna will have this year besides Hunsucker on the mound, but that will surely be enough to defeat most of the county teams this year. They lose a good class to graduation, but the JV team is always competetive, we'll see if Muefield can produce that into some varsity success. I think they'll have easy victories over the majority of the county.
3) Houston - This is my "surprise" team of the year. I know that they have some strong offense coming back from last years' team, and that their pitching will have a good one, Joe Gordon? Maybe. I know that he had a pretty good season last year. Is Roeth still around? If so, that'll solidify their spot in third place. If he's gone, they'll be able to compete for 3rd.
4) Russia - They also had a good class that graduated last year. I'm not sure if this is a good spot for them, but I think that Botkins lost a lot more than Russia, and JC and Fairlawn will be terrible. Russia has a better coach than Botkins, so I'll take the Raiders
5) Botkins - Losing Dietz will hurt them, but losing Ryan Leugers will be the biggest loss of all county teams. He was the backbone for the Trojans for four years, and I don't know if they'll be able to recover fully this year. They also lost Koch I believe, who was their number 2, so it could be a tough season.
6) JC - I don't really know what they'll have, but I know they'll be better than Fairlawn.
7) Fairlawn - Do they even have a field this year? I'm not sure where they'll be playing with the new school going up.

#4 Stitch

All District

• Members
  • 168 posts

Member No.: 2696

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

Tribeguy's assessment is pretty accurate. Not sure how 3 and 4 will go, but who cares about that really?
Loramie has to be considered the favorite with Anna being the most likely candidate to knock them off, or at least contend for the league title. Loramie's question mark will be pitching. The crafty lefty Andy Long graduated and I think he may have been the only kid that pitched in big games for Loramie last year. I think they'll typically score enough runs and have enough offensive threats to outscore their league opponents.
They will have plenty of options to put on the mound in Maurer, Hoying, Ahlers, Boerger, and I would imagine that the Scheiltz (sp?) kid can throw. Which of these, if any, might emerge as the #1 or go to guy?

Edited by Stitch, 25 January 2009 - 08:52 PM.

#5 Redskin For Life

All League

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (Stitch @ Jan 25 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tribeguy's assessment is pretty accurate. Not sure how 3 and 4 will go, but who cares about that really?
Loramie has to be considered the favorite with Anna being the most likely candidate to knock them off, or at least contend for the league title. Loramie's question mark will be pitching. The crafty lefty Andy Long graduated and I think he may have been the only kid that pitched in big games for Loramie last year. I think they'll typically score enough runs and have enough offensive threats to outscore their league opponents.
They will have plenty of options to put on the mound in Maurer, Hoying, Ahlers, Boerger, and I would imagine that the Scheiltz (sp?) kid can throw. Which of these, if any, might emerge as the #1 or go to guy?

I could see Boerger as the go to guy for the skins this year. But they really dont have a solid #1 starter i think they will all be consistent but i think if any Boerger will be the go to guy.

#6 Tim Dweeb

All State

• Members
  • 634 posts

Member No.: 2058

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

Who will replace Coverstone behind the plate? Jake Boerger I assume. Who catches when Jake pitches?

Coverstone is a huge loss.

#7 Redskin For Life

All League

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Tim Dweeb @ Jan 26 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who will replace Coverstone behind the plate? Jake Boerger I assume. Who catches when Jake pitches?

Coverstone is a huge loss.

No idea on that one the catcher posistion will be a big question mark this year? Possibly maybe Nick meyer a sophmore this year will catch when Boerger pitches.

#8 tribeguy13

All District

• Members
  • 355 posts

Member No.: 1861

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

could run into a situation like Loramie had last year, with arguably their best pitcher never getting to log many innings because the team is better when he's catching. I know that Nick Meyer did some catching, and with the overload on the infield, he could probably see a good amount of time behind the dish. The kid absolutely destroyed JV pitching, hitting well over .400 and continuing that success in ACME, and with Sturwold's philopshy...If you can hit, they'll find a spot for ya... I wouldn't be surprised to see him behind the dish and Jake Boerger at first anyways.

#9 82bucks82

All District

• Members
  • 327 posts

Member No.: 3517

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

I believe Fairlawn will play their games at Custenborder...at least that is what I heard earlier

Botkins... I am hearing they may not even have a team...something like only 7 kids showed any interest

Russia will be better than most think, young, but sometimes that can be scarey

#10 t-dog

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Member No.: 4363

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:46 PM

Loramie will be the team to beat. I would have to agree that they lack a big time pitcher. Can someone fill me in with each teams top pitchers?

Anna - Hunsucker and Clark
Loramie - Boerger and Maurer
Russia - Wilson
Houston - Gordon

These names are the only pitchers that I can think of that have varsity experience. What pitchers will step up and surprise us this season?

#11 trey33baller

All District

• Members
  • 250 posts

Member No.: 475

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

1. Loramie
2. Russia
3. Anna
4. Houston
5. JC
6. Fairlawn
7. Botkins
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAYTON FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYERRRRRRRRRS!!!!!!

#12 Stitch

All District

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (82bucks82 @ Jan 26 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Botkins... I am hearing they may not even have a team...something like only 7 kids showed any interest

Really! That would be a sorry state of affairs for a school/community not be able to field a baseball team. Another reason to hate soccer...

#13 old_scal

All District

• Members
  • 276 posts

Member No.: 2638

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

soooo much talent is gone from last years teams...
the only returning all county players are joe gordon from houston, and hunsucker from anna...
last years senior class was loaded

1. Anna- hunsucker and clark will mop up the county this year
2. Loramie- they were good last year, and relatively young but losing the leadership they had in coverstone and long hurts
3. houston- gordon and cornett are back, roeth is gone
4. russia- i dont know much about the raiders, they take #4 by drfault
5. jackson center- losing brown and march kills them, anytime you lose 2 all county players it hurts, but the tigers are hurtin for certain this year
6. botkins- once again, talking to people from the community there is word that they might not be able to field a JV team, if even a varsity.
7 fairlawn- well, at least coach mann has a state tournament under him

#14 t-dog

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Member No.: 4363

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

Anna and Loramie have the most starters returning and seem to be the preseason favorites, I along with old_scal don't know too much about how good Russia will be. If I recall correctly, I believe they were the top JV team in the county last year. It'll be interesting to see how the season shapes out.

#15 baseballguy

All League

• Members
  • 43 posts

Member No.: 3487

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

1. Loramie... I believe that they will have two of the best pitchers in the county this year in Hoying and schieltze. Dont get me wrong neither has much pitching experience at the varsity level, but i believe that another year has made them stronger and with a little seasoning thay will surprise some people. The only question is the catching position. If boerger doesnt have the desire to catch they could be in trouble.

2. Anna - Hunsucker has been a solid play throught his career so far and will only get better. He will be the best pitcher in the league. Clark a senior will stady the rotation as the number 2

3. Russia- Billy Schoffner will have his team ready for anything even if the talent level is down. Always has somethin up his sleeve.

4. Houston- Gordan and Cornett will be the two impact players for them.\

5. JC
6.Fairlawn
7.Botkins.

lower 3 could depend of who shows up the most

#16 catfan

All District

• Members
  • 312 posts

Member No.: 1810

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

Houston's team will be a middle of the pack team that wins some games they weren't supposed to and lose some games that they should win. The 3 best and main players are Joe Gordon, Josh Cornett, and Zach Kiehl. All three pitch well and can have a solid rotation out of them. Kiehl and Gordon both have 2 years of varsity experience already and can make an impact quickly. Cornett is a 3rd year varsity player. Cornett struggles mightly against any pitcher that doesn't throw anything but a fastball. Kiehl and Gordon are great defensive players and can hit well, especially Gordon.
Xx Those who know don't tell, and those who tell don't know xX

#17 Stitch

All District

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

Who are the coaches in the county now?
I know:
Loramie - Sturwold
Russia - Shoffner
Jackson Center - Is Gooding their coach?
Houston - ???
Fairlawn - Scott Mann??? - Isn't he the AD?
Botkins - ???
Anna - Meuhfeld (sp?)

#18 old_scal

All District

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Stitch @ Feb 3 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know:
Loramie - Sturwold
Russia - Shoffner
Houston - ???
Botkins - ???
Anna - Meuhfeld (sp?)

gooding was only a one year deal while the administration found a replacement....
the new coach is travis pulfer, no one ive talked to is real familiar with him, im fairly certain its his first tenure as a head coach.

#19 82bucks82

All District

• Members
  • 327 posts

Member No.: 3517

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Stitch @ Feb 3 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know:
Loramie - Sturwold
Russia - Shoffner
Houston - ???
Botkins - ???
Anna - Meuhfeld (sp?)

JC - Pulfer I believe is one of their Basketball coaches too, not sure though
Houston - Glenn Brown - 2nd year as head coach for Houston
Botkins - nothing, and I mean NOTHING is come out of that town as far as info on a team or a coach
Fairlawn - yes, scooter is still the coach there.

#20 old_scal

All District

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (82bucks82 @ Feb 3 2009, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fairlawn - yes, scooter is still the coach there.

scooter!

uh ohhh...
youve given away your allegiance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users