Girls State Tourney Attendance.......

44 replies to this topic

#21 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:51 AM

Always love discussion of this nature. Anything you say against the girls, you're labeled a neanderthal. Happened to notice the women’s NCAA basketball tournament is played a home sites the first two rounds. Can we guess why??? Look folks this isn’t about keeping women down or equal opportunity, it’s simply managing your resources. Does the Schott just hand over the facilities for two weekends in March just because? Or does the OHSAA have to rent these facilities?? I’d guess there’s some cost to it.

Now, to defend the girls a little, you had the first round of the NCAA tournaments going on right up against the state tournament, so from a timing stand point, could not be worse. Even a casual girls hoops fan is probably going to stay home and watch basketball on TV. I noticed a few weeks ago, Indiana had their girls championships already, wondered if they did that purposely to avoid head to head with college tournaments?

#22 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Member No.: 5879

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 24 March 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

Always love discussion of this nature. Anything you say against the girls, you're labeled a neanderthal. Happened to notice the women’s NCAA basketball tournament is played a home sites the first two rounds. Can we guess why??? Look folks this isn’t about keeping women down or equal opportunity, it’s simply managing your resources. Does the Schott just hand over the facilities for two weekends in March just because? Or does the OHSAA have to rent these facilities?? I’d guess there’s some cost to it.

Now, to defend the girls a little, you had the first round of the NCAA tournaments going on right up against the state tournament, so from a timing stand point, could not be worse. Even a casual girls hoops fan is probably going to stay home and watch basketball on TV. I noticed a few weeks ago, Indiana had their girls championships already, wondered if they did that purposely to avoid head to head with college tournaments?

Doesn't the NCAA tournament butt up against the boys state tournament also?

#23 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:05 PM

View PostCommon Sense, on 24 March 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

What does playing first and second round home games in the NCAA tourney have to do with anything? That's no different than having sectionals and districts fairly near where the schools are located...and that's what the OHSAA does. As for the OHSAA "managing resources".....who cares....it's a private organization that has shown over the years that they have plenty of $$$$. If they want to spend money so their members can play at the Schott....so what....go ahead. Fans of the competing teams could care less if they pay $10, $12, $20....whatever. The only ones who complain are the "casual fans" who want to attend every game. Guess what....the tourney wasn't created for those folks...it was created for the kids....which is why they play at the Schott....or Ohio Stadium....or Huntington Park....even if it's not full. If you're worried about filling gyms, move all the D1 boys districts and regionals in NW Ohio to smaller gyms....because they don't come close to needing the size of the Stroh or the Schott....:)

#24 bball_fanatic

All District

• Members
  • 150 posts

Member No.: 2164

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

Charlie Sheen............ I am rather envious of you! I wish I came up with this post. This has to be one of the best posts I have read on here. Kudos to you and you took the words right out of my mouth.... errr ....fingertips.

#25 kaizen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 3042

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

Agree with the above. But for God's sake KEEP BOTH TOURNEYS OUT OF ADA.

Edited by kaizen, 24 March 2015 - 04:41 PM.

#26 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:32 PM

Kaizen!..I take offense to that! bring the finals to King Horn!..Girls & Boys......lol

#27 zerodrama

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Member No.: 9576

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

I am not saying that girls should be moved because they are "less than the guys"...

Crowds are smaller...move them to a venue like UD where they seat 12,000....5400 in that setting is a pretty loud place to be in! I am not saying to cheat the girls....but move the games to a place where the atmosphere is better...for that fact, move both the boys and girls game to UD...Xavier....

Schott holds what 20,000....boys average is what???? I don't know...I'm just saying it would be alot more fun to have them in an arena where the noise is thunderous, the fans are on top of the court...

Wasn't trying to short change the girls...move them both to another arena.

#28 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

View Postzerodrama, on 24 March 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

I am not saying that girls should be moved because they are "less than the guys"...

Crowds are smaller...move them to a venue like UD where they seat 12,000....5400 in that setting is a pretty loud place to be in! I am not saying to cheat the girls....but move the games to a place where the atmosphere is better...for that fact, move both the boys and girls game to UD...Xavier....

Schott holds what 20,000....boys average is what???? I don't know...I'm just saying it would be alot more fun to have them in an arena where the noise is thunderous, the fans are on top of the court...

Wasn't trying to short change the girls...move them both to another arena.

Then you would get the NE Ohio teams complain about the drive to Dayton. Columbus is centrally located and, again, the OHSAA has experience at Schott for boys and girls and they do run a good tournament there.

Not to mention the Northeast seems to be where the powerbrokers in the OHSAA reside, and it is the most populated part of the state.

#29 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:01 AM

View PostDakota Green, on 23 March 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

St Johns arena has a date with the wrecking ball in the very near future as the various venues that use the facility( ie volleyball, fencing, gymnastics, and wrestling.) will be moving to the Covelli Arena which will be located at the intersection of Fred Taylor Drive and Ackerman Roads and is to be constructed this year. Paid for mostly by a substantial donation from Sam Covelli totalling around 10 million this facility will hold 4,000 people for the above mentioned sports. Not suppose to hold any basketball games for the womans program at OSU, but you gotta believe the floor will have the basketball lines in case of need. Maybe this could be a solution? More then likely this facility will be similar to the Stroh Center at BGSU which is plenty big for girls basketball and was used the other year for the NCAA basketball tournament for the women. This place could be a possibility down the road, just remains to be seen.

I was thinking Covelli as well, but the capacity there is only going to be 4000. Similar to the Stroh Center, but when we've already seen that a couple of the games can and do draw 5000+, I'm not sure they'd want to go to an arena smaller than that.

#30 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Member No.: 3337

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

Instead of moving things, it might be better to address the reasoning for the low attendance. Girls games in regular season are usually Not well attended, depending on the teams playing of course. I think it might be in the best interest of all involved to leave it at the Schott. I'm Not sure the players care that the arena is half empty when they are playing.
Mr B

#31 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

Yes they do, but the first weekend is over. Nearly everyone who's a sports fan watches at least the first weekend of the tournament. And I'm just saying, a casual girls basketball fan will only watch when there is nothing else to do.

#32 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

Not sure what you just said Mr. Bearcat, poor attendance, but still have it in the big venue....just because? Do you have a wedding for 100 people in a banquet hall that seats 5,000??

#33 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostCommon Sense, on 25 March 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

Not sure what you just said Mr. Bearcat, poor attendance, but still have it in the big venue....just because? Do you have a wedding for 100 people in a banquet hall that seats 5,000??

Another ridiculous comparison. Of course not. A wedding isn't typically open to the public.....so if you invite 1000 and are expecting 700-800 then your venue should be set to hold that. The OHSAA tourney is open to the public. Boys have sold out the Schott....and girls have had close to 12,000. Anyone who went to the state boys tourney back in the mid 80's can tell you what happened when 20,000 people wanted to attend a game in a venue that held 13,200. Scalpers had stacks of tickets 6" high and regularly got $50/game for the big games. Imagine what tickets for Lebron vs Roger Bacon (sellout at the Schott) would have gone for if the games were at St. John or UD. Sure, crowds are smaller now....but I think part of it is that ticket prices have increased significantly. $15/ticket for 10,000 fans is a heck of a lot more money than when they were getting 15,000/game at $8/ticket. The OHSAA isn't stupid....they understand $$$$. Again, ask any kid.....would you rather play at the Stroh, UT or UD.....or would you rather play at the Schott.....even if not one fan attended. I'm willing to bet 95% of the kids say the Schott

#34 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

View Postcharliesheen, on 25 March 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

Another ridiculous comparison. Of course not. A wedding isn't typically open to the public.....so if you invite 1000 and are expecting 700-800 then your venue should be set to hold that. The OHSAA tourney is open to the public. Boys have sold out the Schott....and girls have had close to 12,000. Anyone who went to the state boys tourney back in the mid 80's can tell you what happened when 20,000 people wanted to attend a game in a venue that held 13,200. Scalpers had stacks of tickets 6" high and regularly got $50/game for the big games. Imagine what tickets for Lebron vs Roger Bacon (sellout at the Schott) would have gone for if the games were at St. John or UD. Sure, crowds are smaller now....but I think part of it is that ticket prices have increased significantly. $15/ticket for 10,000 fans is a heck of a lot more money than when they were getting 15,000/game at $8/ticket. The OHSAA isn't stupid....they understand $$$$. Again, ask any kid.....would you rather play at the Stroh, UT or UD.....or would you rather play at the Schott.....even if not one fan attended. I'm willing to bet 95% of the kids say the Schott
Thank you!!!! Also the budget for a wedding is alot different then it is for a State Tournament.
Mr B

#35 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

View PostMr Bearcat, on 25 March 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

I'm Not sure the players care that the arena is half empty when they are playing.
It's actually closer to 75% empty but who's counting.

#36 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostGeneral Tso, on 25 March 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

It's actually closer to 75% empty but who's counting.
I stand by my statement still.
Mr B

#37 paynepanthers

All State

• Members
  • 589 posts

Member No.: 3270

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:48 AM

The total three-day attendance for the girl's state tournament was 38,126, per the OHSAA website.

#38 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

Tail wagging the dog. And ask any kid, they'd like to drive a Lamborghini....

#39 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 26 March 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

Tail wagging the dog. And ask any kid, they'd like to drive a Lamborghini....
Did the kids who played in football playoffs at Massillon, the swimmers at Canton, volleyball at the Nutter, or softball in Ashland have a beef?...no, it's the state tournament wherever it's held...
They have to combine the semis so that they'll get 7,000 for a session....and those that say the OHSAA is all about the $$$.....there's a reason they don't advertise their salaries...

home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#40 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostRocketman, on 26 March 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

Did the kids who played in football playoffs at Massillon, the swimmers at Canton, volleyball at the Nutter, or softball in Ashland have a beef?...no, it's the state tournament wherever it's held...
They have to combine the semis so that they'll get 7,000 for a session....and those that say the OHSAA is all about the $$$.....there's a reason they don't advertise their salaries...
If they are a Private Organization, they don't have advertise their salaries.
Mr B

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users