Possible candidates for Wapak head coaching position

576 replies to this topic

#1 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Member No.: 3358

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

Now that we know that Frye is leaving what is everyone hearing.

#2 The Guilty Bystander

All District

• Members
  • 182 posts

Member No.: 9367

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Maybe you should apply beezer ... help keep that baby rolling there!

In all seriousness, I'd hire Ben Mauk if I were you. You have the athletes to run that system and he would get kids excited and out for football.

He might be the carbon copy of his dad, which is both good and bad.

I've been told that he's not overly interested in following his dad's footsteps at Kenton, he wanted to learn some more and be out on his own.

#3 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

Serious question: would there be any interest in coach Cooper if things fell through down in Tennessee?...
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#4 redskin rowdy

All State

• Members
  • 542 posts

Member No.: 9000

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

View PostThe Guilty Bystander, on 10 January 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

In all seriousness, I'd hire Ben Mauk if I were you. You have the athletes to run that system and he would get kids excited and out for football.

I've been told that he's not overly interested in following his dad's footsteps at Kenton, he wanted to learn some more and be out on his own.
Ben would be good, but are the people from Wapak going to believe he doesn't want to follow his dad at Kenton. They have already heard that song and dance.

#5 The Guilty Bystander

All District

• Members
  • 182 posts

Member No.: 9367

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

View Postredskin rowdy, on 10 January 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

Ben would be good, but are the people from Wapak going to believe he doesn't want to follow his dad at Kenton. They have already heard that song and dance.

This time it's different, I've spoken with him privately (this was about a year ago) and I believe he's said publicly he doesn't want to.

I used to coach in the WBL (and NWC) so I would like to think I'm pretty keyed into what guys are going where.

In fact, I talked to a coach from another WBL school today and he said that Wapak is a very difficult school to coach at with the parents and administration.

#6 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 544

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

This is clearly a job for Mike Cramer.

#7 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

View Postpaperboy, on 10 January 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

I have seen this guy's name thrown about on here for many years........who is he and where does he coach?
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#8 Week 10 All-American

All State

• Members
  • 692 posts

Member No.: 1315

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

View Postpaperboy, on 10 January 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Said the same thing about a week ago on another thread. He made Marion Local into what they are now. All Goodwin had to do was steer the ship.

#9 Dakota Green

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Member No.: 4623

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

View PostRocketman, on 10 January 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

I have seen this guy's name thrown about on here for many years........who is he and where does he coach?
He was the head coach at Marion Local preceding Tim Goodwin. He has been an assistant at various schools including O-G before Ken Schriner came on board. I believe his wife or maybe ex-wife (not sure of either) still teaches in the O-G system. Not sure where he at right now if anywhere coaching.

#10 NWbballfan

All District

• Members
  • 238 posts

Member No.: 9368

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Mark hollars

#11 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

Im with you about Ben he would bring a lot of excitement to the program.

#12 Teddy Malone

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Member No.: 3567

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

I can vouch for The Guilty Bystander. I don't know how good Ben is at coaching but I heard him on a radio interview say that he did not want to follow his dad at Kenton.

#13 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

View PostThe Guilty Bystander, on 10 January 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

This time it's different, I've spoken with him privately (this was about a year ago) and I believe he's said publicly he doesn't want to.

I used to coach in the WBL (and NWC) so I would like to think I'm pretty keyed into what guys are going where.

In fact, I talked to a coach from another WBL school today and he said that Wapak is a very difficult school to coach at with the parents and administration.
You are on top of your game today. The last part of your post hit it on the head to much POLITICS in Wapak. I do believe Frye came in and said give me the best 11 on offense and defense and if some players are needed on both sides of the ball then they play both ways. I did support Frye and like I said he brought excitement to Wapak and WINNING which is addictive so thank you to him. The day he left our program to wear the blue and gold he is dead to our program. Im scared that the Wapak Admin. is going to be deciding on our next coach because they are part of the problem. Ben Mauk if interested would bring a never before offense to Wapak since maybe Sharpe was here and a swagger like the Kenton program. Give him the largest talent pool in the WBL plus a field turf built for his offense plus we take recruits just didn't work out with the one. lol. Huffman I do believe would be perfect for a wide open offense and Morgan lining up all over the field.

#14 Rusty Shackleford

All District

• Members
  • 318 posts

Member No.: 9458

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Hmmm... everyone I have spoken to in Kenton (and that is a lot of people) assumes Ben will be the football coach at Kenton after Mike retires.
If Ben did not want to eventually be the head coach at Kenton, why is he still there? I know he has been considered for many area jobs, and I have spoken to several high school & college coaches who said they would love to have him on their staffs...yet he is still assisting his dad at Kenton.

#15 the_beezer

All State

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

I would abuse my power way to much especially at beer and wine depot carryout in free pizza. But would change the uniforms to all black with some red. I couldn't stand to be away from my twin girls that much.

#16 redskin rowdy

All State

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:00 AM

Mike Mauk is down to his final 2 choices as a coach in Missouri so that position will be open soon. I don't believe all this Ben Mauk not going to Kenton drama.

#17 redskin rowdy

All State

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

This Mike Cramer name I would like to hear more about though if someone updated me.

#18 Week 10 All-American

All State

• Members
  • 692 posts

Member No.: 1315

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

View Postredskin rowdy, on 11 January 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

This Mike Cramer name I would like to hear more about though if someone updated me.

As mentioned previously took a down and out Marion Local program and built it up. According to some- all the current coach has done is steer the ship that Cramer built.

#19 wapak_redskin_fan

All District

• Members
  • 132 posts

Member No.: 9534

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Redskin Rowdy so you are hearing that Coach Mauk is leaving Kenton to go coach in Missouri? will he coach h.s. or college?
Maybe Ben will just step in at Kenton. Everybody keeps talking about Ben coaching over here, is there any proof that he is truly interested or is this just all speculation and gossip?

#20 wapak_redskin_fan

All District

• Members
  • 132 posts

Member No.: 9534

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

What about Derek Kidwell he comes from a pretty good football back ground

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users