LB Coach Williman to hang up the whistle?........

39 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

The RC has learned that long-time LB head coach Steve Williman will step down after the conclusion of this basketball season......originally from Old Fort (the cradle of coaches) he has elevated LB basketball to the top of the ranks......it has not been determined who will succeed him at LB, but the bar has been set very high...........RM
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#2 Dakota Green

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Member No.: 4623

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

If this is the case the powers to be at L-B will more then likely elevate assistant coach Marc Marshall or J-V coach Ben Gerken to this position. One thing for sure unless there is a hall of fame coach interested in this job the board of education will be persuaded to hire one of these two. They have a good thing going on at the corner of St. Rt. 12 and County Road 9 and they are not going to hand over the reigns of this job to just anybody that is a basketball coach. Williman has ran a tight ship at L-B in every aspect to this job (ie having players wearing matching sports coats to the games and having all his players jvs at varsity and vice versa standing right behind the team at timeouts to make sure no one but the players and coaches know what is said and drawn up during time outs). These two I mentioned have been involved with this program with these aspects and I see no one else even being considered for this job.

#3 cubbies4life

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Member No.: 3593

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostDakota Green, on 18 December 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

If this is the case the powers to be at L-B will more then likely elevate assistant coach Marc Marshall or J-V coach Ben Gerken to this position. One thing for sure unless there is a hall of fame coach interested in this job the board of education will be persuaded to hire one of these two. They have a good thing going on at the corner of St. Rt. 12 and County Road 9 and they are not going to hand over the reigns of this job to just anybody that is a basketball coach. Williman has ran a tight ship at L-B in every aspect to this job (ie having players wearing matching sports coats to the games and having all his players jvs at varsity and vice versa standing right behind the team at timeouts to make sure no one but the players and coaches know what is said and drawn up during time outs). These two I mentioned have been involved with this program with these aspects and I see no one else even being considered for this job.
I doubt if Coach Marshall takes the head coaching job. His kids are playing sports and he may now want to spend time with his family. Basketball at LB is a full year job. Coach Gerken may be the favorite and that would happen if Coach W says he is ready to take that next step.
Whoever it is does have BIG shoes to fill. Coach Willy is as good as they come.

Edited by cubbies4life, 18 December 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#4 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Member No.: 1295

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

Can school BoE members be coaches? :D Might have one there.
Or
Perhaps an area official that graduated from LB might be interested...at least he could then openly help LB (just joking around with that one..... kinda) :punk:

Do agree, Coach Marshall will not take it... it would suprise me if he did.

Was glad i went 3-1 against Willy!!

#5 roarintiger1

All State

• Members
  • 834 posts

Member No.: 769

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

Coach Marshall's kids are out of high school. But, I do agree that I don't think he would take the job. He's a pretty smart guy. Not sure anyone would want to follow a legend. :no: It might be okay to follow the guy that follows the legend.

#6 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Member No.: 5879

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Your forgetting about the best coach in the LB system, maybe he could be persuaded to switch over?

#7 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 4890

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Wayno :pickles: :punk: :clap:

#8 erniefurgler

All District

• Members
  • 195 posts

Member No.: 3470

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

^^ Isnt Gerken a product of the Holgate bball program?...Team up with his former head coach to carry the torch of the LB program?...dont really see that happening, but would be interesting...

#9 LBHS79

All League

• Members
  • 70 posts

Member No.: 4251

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Coach William is retiring from teaching at the end of the year, but he is not retiring from coaching....he will be back at LB coaching for several more years and you can mark this down.

#10 Corleone

All State

• Members
  • 614 posts

Member No.: 824

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostLBHS79, on 19 December 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Coach William is retiring from teaching at the end of the year, but he is not retiring from coaching....he will be back at LB coaching for several more years and you can mark this down.
That's what I've been hearing too.

#11 FiredupDevil

All District

• Members
  • 151 posts

Member No.: 9094

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:07 AM

I second this statement. From what I have heard is that the retirement phase from teaching is planned to kick in right after the state tournament so Williman can meet the state rule of not being in the building for a set period so he can coach next year and beyond without losing retirement dollars .
"Our objective is simple, to make the great state of Ohio proud" Urban F. Meyer

2014 BVC Football Prediction Champ

#12 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Member No.: 5317

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

Not sure Irwin would want the reigns for the boys...the talent level will decrease dramatically after this year as I understand. Same with the girls after this year - a few years of "middle of the pack" awaits both programs. Williman knows what he is doing on this timely retirement. Congrats to him for an incredible run with the boys - a classy program and a great coach. The only question is when will LB erect the statue of Williman in front of the school??

Best to you Coach Williman and please take it easy on us Arlington folks tonight!
Arlington Red Devils
2012 Girls Basketball State Champs
2012 Boys Basketball State Semi-Finalist

#13 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Haven't we heard Coach Williman stepping down comments for about the last 10 years?? Guess I'll believe it when I see it. There will be no shortage of quality candidates to step in if and when that happens. They have a great feeder system staring from the youth leagues in elementary through middle school. No shortage of athletes. When you routinely have A & B teams in the middle schools for 7th and 8th grades, you are putting 12-15 kids per class into the freshman year, and you only need about 4-6 kids per grade and the competition makes them great.

#14 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

On another note, big BVC showdown tonight, probably for the BVC title on the boys side. LB visits Arlington.

#15 Stewart Little

All District

• Members
  • 110 posts

Member No.: 9410

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostPostPlayer, on 20 December 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Not sure Irwin would want the reigns for the boys...the talent level will decrease dramatically after this year as I understand. Same with the girls after this year - a few years of "middle of the pack" awaits both programs. Williman knows what he is doing on this timely retirement. Congrats to him for an incredible run with the boys - a classy program and a great coach. The only question is when will LB erect the statue of Williman in front of the school??

Best to you Coach Williman and please take it easy on us Arlington folks tonight!

As much as Posty and I would accept the retirement of "The Legend" with open arms, my sources tell me that he is retiring from the teaching ranks but will continue to coach Varsity Golf and Varsity Boys Basketball. Just what the rest of us need...give him even more time to prepare a game plan for his opponents.

Posty, you mention that the talent level is dwindling at LB!? If anyone will be succesful with less talent, I bet on Mr. Williman.

#16 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 20 December 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Haven't we heard Coach Williman stepping down comments for about the last 10 years?? Guess I'll believe it when I see it. There will be no shortage of quality candidates to step in if and when that happens. They have a great feeder system staring from the youth leagues in elementary through middle school. No shortage of athletes. When you routinely have A & B teams in the middle schools for 7th and 8th grades, you are putting 12-15 kids per class into the freshman year, and you only need about 4-6 kids per grade and the competition makes them great.
I guess time will tell because what I have seen at the freshman and below levels in girls and boys is not so good.
Arlington Red Devils

#17 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

What a HUGE win tonight for the Red Devils against LB, especially considering Arlington has only played1 game. A good win this early in the year.
Arlington Red Devils

#18 Whiterabbit

All District

• Members
  • 388 posts

Member No.: 6146

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

Great game last night, despite late start. We got there late but not too late! :sleep1:

Congrats to Arlington. LB made a good run in the 2nd half but not enough to pull out the victory. Very surprised Arlington was able to do what they did only being their second game since having a long football season and almost every on the Arlington team was on the football team.

#19 lefty

All State

• Members
  • 738 posts

Member No.: 804

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Postcaldwell, on 19 December 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Your forgetting about the best coach in the LB system, maybe he could be persuaded to switch over?
Very unsmart post.

#20 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 544

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

So is this why we haven't been hearing about this 'story' in the traditional media?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users