20 replies to this topic

#1 dawger

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Member No.: 43

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:17 AM

RC Nation,

As my interest in the sport of hockey continues to grow and grow, I am asking you a few questions about an idea I had in mind.

I would like to start submitting blogs and other write-ups about hockey, along with power rankings and such.

To get a sense of the interest throughout, you, the RC Nation, I ask the following questions:

1. Would you read and/or respond to such posts?
2. If so, what leagues do you have the most interest in? I follow the NHL and CCHA mostly.

If you have a similar idea, let me know - we can talk about how we can work together and such. Also, feel free to send me some ideas, if you have them.

I will broadcast my first ever hockey game as a play-by-play person on Sunday - BGHS vs. Sylvania Southview HS. I also color commentate on BGSU Hockey games.

Thanks for your time!
Philippians 4:13

DAWGER

#2 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

I'd read em. In the last 2 years hockey has went from a sport I never watched to one I can't miss. I've watched it over football and basketball games lately.

I follow the same leagues you do.

#3 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

I enjoy hockey for a little bit, I only know a little about the NHL, I would read the posts, but more than likely wont know enough to respond

Edited by FrOnT RoW JOE, 29 January 2010 - 11:16 AM.

You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#4 UGAdawg

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Member No.: 1648

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:55 PM

I follow the OHL and attend at least one game a month in Windsor, used to follow the Komets until I saw the Spits play in Windsor last year. On my sports show I give the scores for the ECHL Toledo Walleye and Cincinnati Cyclones. I also give the Dayton Gem's and the Ft Wayne Komets scores when i have them. I would add to your posts if you cover ECHL, CCHA and NHL.

UGAdawg....out!
Proud Dad to Wildfire, 18 year old girl's BMX Champion and member of Team USA

IPFW Basketball, University of Findlay Basketball, Van Wert High School Basketball and the Ft Wayne Mad Ants (Oakwood Bobcats 1884-1971)

#5 TheBCSMess

All State

• Members
  • 884 posts

Member No.: 3077

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

that's the problem with it I think.. We don't get good NHL coverage..a game a week at best - unless you live on VS. station - which only plays penguins and flyers games any ways..

You could really start something up come NHL playoff time though, as I think a lot are covered on NBC ?..

"Sports is the toy department of human life.” -Howard Cosell

#6 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (TheBCSMess @ Jan 30 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's the problem with it I think.. We don't get good NHL coverage..a game a week at best - unless you live on VS. station - which only plays penguins and flyers games any ways..

You could really start something up come NHL playoff time though, as I think a lot are covered on NBC ?..

The coverage is indeed terrible. I'm praying ESPN picks it back up whenever they have the chance. Especially now that Time Warner decided that NW Ohio is in the Columbus market and won't let FSN Detroit show Red Wings games anymore.

#7 UGAdawg

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

What? Columbus? but we are in the Detroit market (NW Ohio). I don't have cable so this is new to me because I can get to Detroit faster than I can to Columbus,

UGAdawg..out!

IPFW Basketball, University of Findlay Basketball, Van Wert High School Basketball and the Ft Wayne Mad Ants (Oakwood Bobcats 1884-1971)

#8 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (UGAdawg @ Jan 30 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What? Columbus? but we are in the Detroit market (NW Ohio). I don't have cable so this is new to me because I can get to Detroit faster than I can to Columbus,

UGAdawg..out!

I thought the same. I was excited to get home for Christmas break and catch the Wings a few times. Turn on the TV, nothing. Found out later that night about what they did. I just don't understand why they decided this now and not in the past. We've had FS Detroit since 2004, the Jackets have been in the league since 2000, and there's never been a problem. So why now?

#9 UGAdawg

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:21 AM

So the media is trying to force you to be a fan by only giving you one choice to watch? Guess they think this will improve viewer number? This just stinks, so glad I don't have cable for a number of reasons.

UGAdawg...out!

#10 dawger

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the responses!

To get things started, I will come out with a set of Power Rankings for both the NHL and CCHA later tonight. I will try to make weekly submissions of these rankings - like the people at ESPN.

UGAdawg - I will let you run the show on the ECHL - as a Capitals fan, I check-in on the South Carolina Stingrays every once-in-a-while, but not so much on the Walleye or the rest of the league.

However, if there are any significant transactional notes from NHL to AHL and vice versa, I will try to post those updates here, as well.

DAWGER

#11 BeaverCleaver

All District

• Members
  • 187 posts

Member No.: 485

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (dhsdawg06 @ Jan 30 2010, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The coverage is indeed terrible. I'm praying ESPN picks it back up whenever they have the chance. Especially now that Time Warner decided that NW Ohio is in the Columbus market and won't let FSN Detroit show Red Wings games anymore.

It may not be Time Warner. I have Dish Network which includes Fox Sports Detroit and can't get the Red Wings games live but they do show them on tape delay. It may be an NHL decision.

Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

#12 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE (BeaverCleaver @ Feb 28 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It may not be Time Warner. I have Dish Network which includes Fox Sports Detroit and can't get the Red Wings games live but they do show them on tape delay. It may be an NHL decision.

It probably is. They just got Dish at home and we don't even HAVE Fox Sports Detroit right now(this WILL be changed by baseball season or else, I can't miss the Tigers), so I'm not sure. It's just frustrating. Columbus has had a team for 10 years and they decide NOW to do this?

#13 doughash

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Member No.: 135

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

I just saw today that the Midwest regional is being played at the Fort Wayne Coliseum next weekend. Miami vs. Alabama-Huntsville and Michigan vs. Bemidji St. in the semis on Saturday with the winners playing on Sunday night with a trip to the Frozen Four at Ford Field on the line. Anybody heading over?

#14 UGAdawg

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

I have to be in Columbus or I would go. I saw the Midwest Regional was coming to Ft Wayne the night I was attending the Mad Ants game sad.gif

Midwest Regional, March 27-28
Allen County War Memorial Coliseum, Fort Wayne, Indiana

Saturday, March 27, 4 p.m. Eastern time, ESPNU
No. 1 Miami (Ohio) (27-7-7) vs. No. 4 Alabama-Huntsville (12-17-3)

Saturday, March 27, 7:30 p.m. Eastern time, ESPN Syndication/ESPN360.com (ESPNU tape delay - Saturday, March 27, 11:30 p.m. Eastern time)
No. 2 Bemidji State (23-9-4) vs. No. 3 Michigan (25-17-1)

Sunday, March 28, 8 p.m. Eastern time, ESPNU
Midwest Regional Championship

#15 UGAdawg

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

Men's Frozen Four, April 8 and 10
Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan

Thursday, April 8, 5 and 8:30 p.m. Eastern time, ESPN2 HD/ESPN360.com (order of games TBD)
Midwest Regional Champion vs. Northeast Regional Champion
East Regional Champion vs. West Regional Champion

Saturday, April 10, 7 p.m. Eastern time, ESPN HD/ESPN360.com
National Championship

The following conferences and teams received automatic qualification:

Atlantic Hockey Association - Rochester Institute of Technology
Central Collegiate Hockey Association - Michigan
College Hockey America - Alabama-Huntsville
ECAC Hockey - Cornell
Hockey East Association - Boston College
Western Collegiate Hockey Association - North Dakota

#16 mrclutch

All District

• Members
  • 359 posts

Member No.: 884

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

Well, I thought about taking my kids to the NCAAs. Then I looked on the Coliseum website for ticket info - $30 for a kids ticket!! A Komet game they can get in for under $10.

#17 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

I'm headed down to Nationwide tonight for the last home game of the year for the Blue Jackets....against my Red Wings! This is gonna be my first NHL game.

#18 doughash

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Member No.: 135

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

The Big Chill at the Big House hockey game between Michigan and Michigan State is scheduled for Dec. 11 of this year. Presale tickets were stopped after they went over 100,000. This will be break the record for hockey game attendance of 77,000 set a couple weeks ago in Germany for a junior game at the world championships between Germany and the US.

#19 dawger

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

Hey everyone, sorry for not keeping my word on providing those power rankings for the NHL and CCHA each week..I'll try to be better next season!

But I want to say I was able to go see those Midwest Regional Semi-Finals in Fort Wayne in late March you mentioned above..pretty cool stuff!!

Additionally, I just read on the ESPN Bottom Line (via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) tonight that my Washington Capitals will play against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Heinz Field on January 1, 2011 for the next NHL Winter Classic! This one should be the best one yet!

DAWGER

#20 dawger

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (doughash @ May 11 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Big Chill at the Big House hockey game between Michigan and Michigan State is scheduled for Dec. 11 of this year. Presale tickets were stopped after they went over 100,000. This will be break the record for hockey game attendance of 77,000 set a couple weeks ago in Germany for a junior game at the world championships between Germany and the US.

Should be a dandy!!

DAWGER

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users