should seniors startlastgame?

76 replies to this topic

#41 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Let me be clear, I wasn't starting this topic to pile on the guy who wrote the letter. More along the lines of pointing out stupid "traditions" like this one tend to cheapen the game as a whole, and I also wrote this to recognize and side with the AE coach who is a good young coach and has the mustangs going in the right direction.

#42 Sportsjock

All League

• Members
  • 20 posts

Member No.: 9085

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 23 February 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Let me be clear, I wasn't starting this topic to pile on the guy who wrote the letter. More along the lines of pointing out stupid "traditions" like this one tend to cheapen the game as a whole, and I also wrote this to recognize and side with the AE coach who is a good young coach and has the mustangs going in the right direction.

Agreed. He has them going the right way. He has them playing for a sectional title on Saturday...

#43 Just..Sayin....

All District

• Members
  • 108 posts

Member No.: 8306

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostVictorian, on 22 February 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

I have never heard of another school starting the seniors on senior night....
The coach made the right decision.

My guess is this is a "traditional" product of going about 4-15 heading into the last game and they coach figuring "what the hell?"

When did this "tradition" begin?
Shirt tail relative of mine says they didn't do it in the late 90's.......

Seriously????? You live under a rock? Happens in Putnam county every year!!.....
CONTINENTAL PIRATES- 2011 REGIONAL CHAMPS!!

#44 Guest_Victorian_*

• Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostJust..Sayin...., on 23 February 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Seriously????? You live under a rock? Happens in Putnam county every year!!.....

Girls or Boys?
I'm not aware of OG Boys doin it....

#45 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Member No.: 9154

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Anyone that has responded to this topic is no better or no worse than the guy who first started it. All it is is an opinion or belief that he or she wants to convey to everyone interested. I am sure he and his daughter have recieved critisism over this topic already and wish he had not published/written it.

Now for my 2 cents worth. All of the girls on these teams would like some kind of recognition. It does not matter what they are, starters, role players, or practice players. They are all vital to the teams success. When was the last time you approached a practice player and thanked them for helping the team be as good as they are? I can honestly say that I have never done it or even thought about it until I read some of the comments on Rocketcorner. And I probably won't unless I know them personally. I wouldn't want them looking at me wierd or calling 911. :wacko:

#46 clutch

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Member No.: 2940

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

I think it depends on who you're playing. Yea its great to honor your seniors by starting them but at the same time, your job is to win the game. What if its for a conference championship?
"You're a mess"

#47 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostSnip, on 23 February 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

Anyone that has responded to this topic is no better or no worse than the guy who first started it. All it is is an opinion or belief that he or she wants to convey to everyone interested. I am sure he and his daughter have recieved critisism over this topic already and wish he had not published/written it.

And yet you still respond to it? There is no wrong with having an opinion about this Snip. I mean this is what this whole site is about. Something happens in high school sports and it is well worth talking about. I don't see how responding to this topic makes anyone just as bad as the guy who started it. I just don't see how. Your exactly right it was just an opinion/belief that he wanted to express but did it all the wrong way. There is always a better way of handling conflicts. You talk it over with the coach, school and daughter thats how it should have been done. Not going to the paper and embarassing people. And by all means this guy is probably wishing he didn't do this because it was completely ridiculous. You do something like this it's going to get talked about plain and simple. If someone does something incredible that as well will get talked about.

Edited by Mysterio, 23 February 2012 - 03:59 PM.

No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#48 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostMysterio, on 23 February 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

And yet you still respond to it? There is no wrong with having an opinion about this Snip. I mean this is what this whole site is about. Something happens in high school sports and it is well worth talking about. I don't see how responding to this topic makes anyone just as bad as the guy who started it. I just don't see how. Your exactly right it was just an opinion/belief that he wanted to express but did it all the wrong way. There is always a better way of handling conflicts. You talk it over with the coach, school and daughter thats how it should have been done. Not going to the paper and embarassing people. And by all means this guy is probably wishing he didn't do this because it was completely ridiculous. You do something like this it's going to get talked about plain and simple. If someone does something incredible that as well will get talked about.

I agree with you on everything except calling him a bad guy. I don't know the guy and probably most of the people that responded don't know him so how can we call him a bad guy? If he did embarass anyone it would probably be his family. That was my point. And yes, I put my 2 cents worth in because that is what this forum is for as you say. I was trying to make a positive point out of a bad situation with focusing on the girls that play the game or even the girls that don't play the game but still work hard in practice.

Edited by Snip, 23 February 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#49 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostSnip, on 23 February 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

Now for my 2 cents worth. All of the girls on these teams would like some kind of recognition. It does not matter what they are, starters, role players, or practice players. They are all vital to the teams success. When was the last time you approached a practice player and thanked them for helping the team be as good as they are? I can honestly say that I have never done it or even thought about it until I read some of the comments on Rocketcorner. And I probably won't unless I know them personally. I wouldn't want them looking at me wierd or calling 911. :wacko:
This is a controversial topic that obvously has people on both side, so it's very appropriate. I certainly hope kids play sports more for what they GET out of playing, rather than recognition. No one appreciates subs and practice players more than coaches do. YOu can't play basketball with 5-6 kids on the team.

#50 loosecannon

All League

• Members
  • 98 posts

Member No.: 3623

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Gamekeeper.....check your stats. LB did not win Sr. night by 25 points last year....they played McComb and it was a close game the whole way.

How is the "window" shopping treating you?????

#51 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

Actually you are correct it wasn't quite 25 i really over exaggerated that a bit. but the game was well in hand by mid way thru the 4th, or at least it was by the last 2:00 min. of the game and they did win by I believe 8, and He could have played her. He has had usually started seniors every year, and then took them out right away so he could have easily done that, or put her in by the end of the game. he managed to find a way to squeeze in JV player.

I agree we all have opinions on this, but I just think if a player has been thru your program, comes to practice everyday sits on the bench thru all the games. Basketball is a long season, and as a coach if you don't go to the player before the season and let them know what's up, then I don't think the player is out line in thinking that they will at some point get playing time, especially on Senior night. You are only in HS once in your life, and for some of those players, This maybe one moment that they get the feeling of appreciation for being that practice player all this time. Like lots of HS players it is probably their last time they play orginized sports, and with tournaments coming up they won't probably get in there at all.

and again, i don't necessarily care if they start, but they should get in. Starting to me just seems the easiest way, they are announced in the line up then they are out. Pending on how games goes from there they can possibly get in again.
Just my opinion.

Edited by gamekeeper, 24 February 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#52 Wilco98

All State

• Members
  • 867 posts

Member No.: 2616

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PosteffingA, on 23 February 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

Life lesson - you don't get anything for just showing up! NOBODY owes you anything, you have to EARN your keep. Who wants a "token" start, when EVERYONE knows you didn't EARN it?

Life lesson, part two: I guaran-damn-tee you those bench players don't just "show up" and have earned EVERY bit of their "keep". They show up to practice and conditioning EVERY DAY and push the starters to get better. Didn't earn it, my left foot. I don't fault the coach for doing what he did, but there's absolutely no harm (and it's certainly not a "token start") in letting a senior bench player start her final game in her home gym. Just give her a couple minutes or so at the beginning and sub for her, unless she's absolutely lighting it up. I seriously doubt it hurts her ego too badly, especially if she's a team player.
Coldwater Cavaliers--20 State Titles and Counting!!!!

#53 Falcon86

All League

• Members
  • 37 posts

Member No.: 9209

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

View Postgamekeeper, on 23 February 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

LB's Coach did it last year on Senior night never played a senior and the won by 25 points. Tell me what he lesson he taught that senior. And he only had 2 to play.

Gamekeeper is all wet on this one........went back and looked at some pictures from McComb game last year.......first off, LB was still in the hunt for BVC championship....the night LB played McComb, Arlington and Arcadia had to play....If Arcadia beat Arlington, LB ties for the BVC (side note, Arcadia took Arlington to OT).....anyway, LB started its normal 5. McComb leads 15-13 after 1, Lb leads 25-19 at half, LB up by 14 after 3 with Craft cramping up, LB wins 53-44. Perfect example of why SENIORS ARE NOT GUARANTEED A START ON SENIOR NIGHT.

You can argue all you want on this one, but if a coach starts seniors and loses an important game because of it, people will call for his/her head. This plays right into why our country is growing "soft", everything has to be fair.....sorry, not everything in life is fair!

I will always contend that you put your "second string" in the game when it is out of hand one way or the other. If a player deserves recognigtion, pull them off with time remaining and let the fans give them an ovation at that point, but never give up a conference title so a senior can start on senior night.

Edited by Falcon86, 24 February 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#54 cameroncrazie90

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Member No.: 6183

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Just to point out I don't believe this guy's daughter even played all four years in high school. Quit a couple years and then came out senior year.

#55 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

View Postcameroncrazie90, on 24 February 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

Just to point out I don't believe this guy's daughter even played all four years in high school. Quit a couple years and then came out senior year.

That's the second time I seen that statement. Not sure what point your'e trying to get across. I once seen a girl make the Jr. Varsity team (did not get cut) as a sophmore but did not get to play. She then played CYO as a junior just becuase she liked to play basketball and she had a lot of playing time. Her senoir year she played H.S. Ball and then also had a lot of playing time as the first person off of the bench. Maybe you didn't notice this guys daughter for a couple years?

Edited by Snip, 24 February 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#56 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostFalcon86, on 24 February 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Gamekeeper is all wet on this one........went back and looked at some pictures from McComb game last year.......first off, LB was still in the hunt for BVC championship....the night LB played McComb, Arlington and Arcadia had to play....If Arcadia beat Arlington, LB ties for the BVC (side note, Arcadia took Arlington to OT).....anyway, LB started its normal 5. McComb leads 15-13 after 1, Lb leads 25-19 at half, LB up by 14 after 3 with Craft cramping up, LB wins 53-44. Perfect example of why SENIORS ARE NOT GUARANTEED A START ON SENIOR NIGHT.

You can argue all you want on this one, but if a coach starts seniors and loses an important game because of it, people will call for his/her head. This plays right into why our country is growing "soft", everything has to be fair.....sorry, not everything in life is fair!

I will always contend that you put your "second string" in the game when it is out of hand one way or the other. If a player deserves recognigtion, pull them off with time remaining and let the fans give them an ovation at that point, but never give up a conference title so a senior can start on senior night.

I don't disagree with you but it sounds like you think the only ones that deserve recognition are the ones that play on gameday?

#57 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

First off Falcon I wasn't arguing. I was just voicing my opinion on an open forum. i don't have to agree with you and you don't have to agree with me. But I am entitled to voice my opinion
You are exactly right the BVC was still up for grabs. and Had the coach went to the player and told her I know we usually start the seniors on senior night (or at least get them in the game, because sometimes it was later they got in) but tonight is an important game, and I am not going to make you any promises on getting in, I have to play this game for the BVC and if it stays close then no promises. Then I wouldn't have a disagreement. I am just saying it's all how it is approached.
But not to say anything and act like she should have known, I think is a little calice...IMO.

I also want to point out, that I am not saying they have to start or guarantee them to play any other game. I was just saying if you have a Senior night, and the school has always had the tradition of playing the seniors. FOR EVEN a minute, or two. Then no you are not obligated to start or play them you are the coach but there is an expectation from the Seniors they will get in, because they always have. And if you have a successful program like LB. They don't have seniors that are not capable of
playing at least a min. or two.

I guess my point is and I am done, is that Highschool coaches are mostly teachers, and I would like to think while they are coaching they are also teaching the players about how to deal with people and about respect. You may not like what I am about to tell you but I want just to be aware. I think this a reasonable. Player may not still be happy, but he or she at least knows what to expect going into that game.

#58 Guest_Victorian_*

• Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

View Postgamekeeper, on 24 February 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

First off Falcon I wasn't arguing. I was just voicing my opinion on an open forum. i don't have to agree with you and you don't have to agree with me. But I am entitled to voice my opinion
You are exactly right the BVC was still up for grabs. and Had the coach went to the player and told her I know we usually start the seniors on senior night (or at least get them in the game, because sometimes it was later they got in) but tonight is an important game, and I am not going to make you any promises on getting in, I have to play this game for the BVC and if it stays close then no promises. Then I wouldn't have a disagreement. I am just saying it's all how it is approached.
But not to say anything and act like she should have known, I think is a little calice...IMO.

I also want to point out, that I am not saying they have to start or guarantee them to play any other game. I was just saying if you have a Senior night, and the school has always had the tradition of playing the seniors. FOR EVEN a minute, or two. Then no you are not obligated to start or play them you are the coach but there is an expectation from the Seniors they will get in, because they always have. And if you have a successful program like LB. They don't have seniors that are not capable of
playing at least a min. or two.

I guess my point is and I am done, is that Highschool coaches are mostly teachers, and I would like to think while they are coaching they are also teaching the players about how to deal with people and about respect. You may not like what I am about to tell you but I want just to be aware. I think this a reasonable. Player may not still be happy, but he or she at least knows what to expect going into that game.

As recently as 10 years ago, Allen East did not observe this said "Tradition"

#59 cameroncrazie90

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Anyone ever notice teams playing flat on senior night?

#60 cameroncrazie90

All District

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

This girl not only didn't play last year but the year before that as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users