65 replies to this topic

#41 Bass_rat38

All District

• Members
  • 301 posts

Member No.: 3975

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Crazy how the Wapak protectors are coming out of the woodwork... LOL
That is an Athletic Director's responsibility to police his programs...

Back to the conversation at hand...
With another school closing looming, will the match at Shawnee be canceled or even postponed?

How will the NO practice affect each team? Does it help one or the other? Weight allowance?

Edited by Bass_rat38, 08 January 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#42 Mackreeks

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Member No.: 7402

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

During bad weather - a coach cannot make practices manditory. You can have practice, but cannot require the wrestlers to be there. Usually the school superintendent won't say anything about not practicing, but in extreme circumstances like this past week - when they say no practice, there is no practice. Alot of times, it's just a matter of letting the maintaince people get the parking lots plowed out, etc. But in temps like we've had and road conditions being level 2 and 3, different situation. So it's up to the super. You try to get the kids to workout at home and watch their wt., but you never know what they will do - coaches just hate and worry about situations like this. Maybe the AD's have been in touch (one would hope so).

#43 0160

All League

• Members
  • 42 posts

Member No.: 7419

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Any word on the dual? I am assuming with the warmer weather that it is still on......

#44 Bass_rat38

All District

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

I would venture to say that it will be a touch and go situation. Defiance County is still on a level 2, which will not allow the school to open. Unless the level 2 gets lifted I would guess the duel will be postponed.

#45 0160

All League

• Members
  • 42 posts

Member No.: 7419

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Bass,
When you get word, will you post the information about tomorrow night?

#46 Mackreeks

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

Tonight's super-tri at Shawnee (Bath vs Defiance) - re-scheduled for Mon. same place (Shawnee), same time (6:00).

#47 Lifetime Fan

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Member No.: 9563

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Monday is an odd day for wrestlers; who has advantage? What does each team have for schedule this weekend?

#48 Lifetime Fan

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

Some searching shows Bath at Lima Senior Inv. Saturday and Defiance at Perrysburg Inv. Friday and Saturday. Is that Bath's varsity, JV, or mixed? Perrysburg obviously greater challenge than Lima Senior, but not sure if that plays out better for Bath or Defiance. Lots of little variables with weather, reschedule, and weekend competition.

#49 Bass_rat38

All District

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Where is everyone as the tension builds for tomorrow night? Defiance had quite the showing up in Perrysburg this weekend, as Bath went down south.

Meyer decimated a very powerful array of wrestlers in route to a very impressive championship and Bowers with a runner up. Interesting weights. 220 Morris with a hard fought 4th place finish. Seibert with a 5th place finish. Reports have Chavez bowing out with a twisted ankle, other reports state that he stopped wrestling in Perrysburg for precautionary reasons. 106 Assaf and 170 Botek went 1-2 for the weekend. 182 Osborne,126 Zipfel and 132 Barajas 2-2 two with wrestle-in rattail victories. Yocum had a tough day. Other Defiance wrestlers seemed to be missing in action, JV or lower level tournament?

Bath seemed to have trouble down in Lakota losing two duels.

#50 Lifetime Fan

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Bass -

Nice information on Defiance - where did you find it? You stated Bath lost two duels (duals?) in Lakota - any details with that? If so, where did you find it?

From what you state regarding Defiance at Perrysburg, is that the same Meyer another poster had stated might choose to run from Lowe? Meyer & Bowers must be the real deal, but bracket tournaments do not always indicate dual success. Also, your information seems to indicate that Defiance may be at less than full strength - what about Bath?

#51 Lifetime Fan

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

If Defiance is not at full strength, I am going with Bath. If both teams at full strength, its pick'em; who get the most bonus points?

#52 reversehalf

All League

• Members
  • 28 posts

Member No.: 9552

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

I would have liked to see this dual with both squads as healthy as possible. I know wishful thinking with a sport like wrestling. As I dig in this morning to research this dual you have to wonder what injuries/illnesses are adversely affecting each team. I found a result on Bath on trackwrestling with them missing several starters at least against Springsboro. Bath took a shellacking losing 61-13. However, Bath was without the services of C. Ingram, T. Wheeler, Mikesell, and Neal. They went very young in this dual perhaps saving them for today?

With Defiance at the PIT, they entered no 113,120, or 195. They pulled Chavez and Zipfell out of the tournament. Precautionary?

You have to surmise each team has their share of issues. Therefore, there are too many unknowns to be confident to predict a winner this morning. The winner will be the team that has the least issues or has the depth to overcome those issues.

Good luck to both teams.

#53 Lifetime Fan

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Good news for whichever team loses tonight is that WBL splits championship between dual schedule and tournament; loser will have opportunity to win league tournament if health was an issue, and Wapak may be a wildcard by that time as well. Not sure how good the WBL is this year, but it is interesting!

#54 Bass_rat38

All District

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Tonight will or should prove who is the better team... The WBL tournament will prove to be very interesting, Wapak has a couple of wrestlers back but will not have enough to beat a very good invitational team in Defiance. Bath also has the opportunity to make a run in the tournament.

So back to the topic at hand ... Who wins tonight???

Will the defiance shell game pay off (Meyer and Bowers)? Does Bath have anywhere close to a full squad? Was Chavez a precautionary default at the PIT?

Tonight at 6pm Lima Shawnee High School!!!

#55 Colt45

All State

• Validating
  • 554 posts

Member No.: 9167

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Sounded like a very good dual. I didn't go but a very good friend of mine did and he said he it was the best dual he saw in years. That is saying a lot he has seen a lot of wrestling since the 80's

Edited by Colt45, 13 January 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#56 Lifetime Fan

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

I attended last night's dual, which was an exciting match and a showcase for WBL wrestling. Both teams wrestled hard and it was evident how important this match was to both teams and fan bases. Most impressive thing was Defiance's depth; wrestling without a couple of starters against Bath's full line-up and coming away with a victory - excellent job by Defiance's reserves! From Bath perspective, they have some excellent kids as well; Ingram and Lowe both looked very tough. WBL league meet should be interesting with Defiance, Bath and an improving Wapak squad. If Wapak could win the tournament, Bath place second, and Defiance third, I think that would bring about WBL tri-champs. Is that a possibility? Wapak always seems to wrestle well come tournament time.

#57 Lifetime Fan

All League

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Not much discussion regarding the match itself. Compared to the buildup, and the actual exciting match, the post match discussion is a letdown. Should I assume most of the pre-match posts were from Bath fans with high expectations who are off licking their wounds following the defeat?

#58 bad knees

All League

• Members
  • 21 posts

Member No.: 9251

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

I was hoping to see a per match breakdown of who won at each weight class..

#59 reversehalf

All League

• Members
  • 28 posts

Member No.: 9552

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

DEFIANCE 32, LIMA BATH 27
106 – Kobe Cunningham (LB) won by forfeit;
113 – Danny Assaf (D) dec. Wyatt Stahl, 24-17
120 – Collin Ingram (LB) pinned Kasym Assaf, 5:22
126 – Riley Zipfel (D) pinned Ryan Kolb, :36
132 – Ricky Barajas (D) pinned Jacob Horstman, 3:41
138 – Tre Wheeler (LB) dec. Kohle Clellan, 8-5
145 – Danny Barajas (D) major dec. Nate Stonehill, 14-6
152 – Derrick Lowe (LB) dec. Seth Meyer, 9-2
160 – Robbie Bowers (D) major dec. Zach Garrett, 15-5
170 – Ryker Rabley (LB) dec. D.J. Ray, 3-0
182 – Eli Osborne (D) dec. Easton Rudisill, 5-1
195 – Tyler Shaw (LB) dec. Michaelangelo Villarreal, 4-1
220 – Kyle Llamon (LB) dec. Zach Morris, 14-7
285 – John Seibert (D) pinned Caleb Neal, 5:56

Here is the per match breakdown that I found. My take from the dual as noted by lifetime fan, Defiance's depth was difference. They were without Lantow and Chavez and still came out the winner. Pretty impressive if you ask me. However, where was Mikesell? Other than that it looks like a full Bath lineup. Lowe looks like he controlled the match against Meyer.l Good win for him.

Edited by reversehalf, 15 January 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#60 Mackreeks

All League

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Mikesell was at 195 - not Shaw. Davis (Bath) is out for the season. Lifetime - what's to discuss? If you want to discuss something - talk about the WBL Tournament. Everyone said it would be a close match and it was. I also said it would come down to who gave up a pin / major decision (Bath did both). It was one of the best duals I've seen in my 35+ yrs. Reminded me of some of the Wapak - Defiance, Wapak - Bath, Bath - Defiance duals of the 80's and 90's.

Edited by Mackreeks, 15 January 2014 - 01:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users