34 replies to this topic

#21 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:04 AM

View PostFiredupDevil, on 13 February 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

The Stroh Center for Regionals. Having to walk up the stairs and look out across the arena takes your breath away that you've really made it.

Defiance's new gym is a smaller replica of the Stroh Center with St. John Arena type scoreboards in each corner.

#22 FiredupDevil

All District

• Members
  • 151 posts

Member No.: 9094

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:10 AM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 14 February 2018 - 08:04 AM, said:

Defiance's new gym is a smaller replica of the Stroh Center with St. John Arena type scoreboards in each corner.

That sounds really awesome. Maybe someday I will make it to Defiance for a game. I love a good fieldhouse atmosphere.
"Our objective is simple, to make the great state of Ohio proud" Urban F. Meyer

2014 BVC Football Prediction Champ

#23 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:52 AM

Hands down ONU .... LOVE goin there.
Savage Hall is another one I enjoy going to.

As for OG going in the upper bracket at MC .... Ty always wants the early game. This way OG gets early game for sectional final and district semi. Fans don't have to stand outside in the cold that way.

#24 erniefurgler

All District

• Members
  • 195 posts

Member No.: 3470

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:21 PM

I’m aware they have a new gym and have been there before. It just surprises me they would host a division 3 boys sectional there. I could maybe see a division 4 girls but oh well

MC hosting isn't any worse than Van Buren hosting D4...pretty small gym to host a tourney game. OG will occupy 75% of the gym for their game, while other games will lucky to be 75% full with both fan bases.

#25 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

View PostFlightCrew, on 14 February 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

Hands down ONU .... LOVE goin there.
Savage Hall is another one I enjoy going to.

As for OG going in the upper bracket at MC .... Ty always wants the early game. This way OG gets early game for sectional final and district semi. Fans don't have to stand outside in the cold that way.

FlightCrew.....you must have been the guy that designed King Horn? :) You are the ONLY person in the world that I've ever heard say anything even remotely good about that place. It's by far the worst place I've ever watched ANY sporting event....basketball or otherwise.

#26 MCguy

All State

• Members
  • 909 posts

Member No.: 103

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:54 AM

The District board asked MC to host. They figured if the NWDAB thought they could handle it, they weren't going to pass it up. The OG game will be the only one to possibly get sketchy with seating.

Obviously a completely different venue and crowd, but they hosted the D2 Softball District for several years, so tiny Miller City hosting bigger schools isn't new.

The statement the "only" reason Tyson chose MC because of the game time is false. He had MC picked before the brackets were made up.

#27 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:55 AM

View PostMCguy, on 15 February 2018 - 04:54 AM, said:

The District board asked MC to host. They figured if the NWDAB thought they could handle it, they weren't going to pass it up. The OG game will be the only one to possibly get sketchy with seating.

Obviously a completely different venue and crowd, but they hosted the D2 Softball District for several years, so tiny Miller City hosting bigger schools isn't new.

The statement the "only" reason Tyson chose MC because of the game time is false. He had MC picked before the brackets were made up.
Yes, he had MC picked but for one reason only . He gets an early game at Miller City AND an early game 1st session of district. Don't kid yourself, if he could have gotten 2 early games anywhere else, he would have.
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#28 Teddy Malone

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Member No.: 3567

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:38 PM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 13 February 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

Elida and Napoleon are great. It may be Defiance's new gym in the future - very fan friendly seating over 2,500. ONU is definitely the worst.

Do you know why Defiance isn't hosting this year? Didn't it host the D-III sectional for a long time?

I've been to ONU twice and hate it. Stroh is very nice but you would expect that from a D-I college. Toledo Central Catholic is nice but it's kind of out of the way. I don't know when Perrysburg last hosted but that place was nice too.

#29 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

View PostTeddy Malone, on 15 February 2018 - 11:38 PM, said:

Do you know why Defiance isn't hosting this year? Didn't it host the D-III sectional for a long time?

I've been to ONU twice and hate it. Stroh is very nice but you would expect that from a D-I college. Toledo Central Catholic is nice but it's kind of out of the way. I don't know when Perrysburg last hosted but that place was nice too.

Defiance didn't host this year because they couldn't guarantee that the gym would be ready.....and also parking for back to back games would be a major issue right now. I'm guessing they'll be back hosting next year.

#30 Teddy Malone

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Member No.: 3567

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

View Postcharliesheen, on 16 February 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

Defiance didn't host this year because they couldn't guarantee that the gym would be ready.....and also parking for back to back games would be a major issue right now. I'm guessing they'll be back hosting next year.

Cool, that's what I was thinking. I'm interested to watch some tournament games there.

#31 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:55 AM

Trent Arena at Kettering Fairmount High School. This place was made for basketball games....

#32 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

View PostADog, on 17 February 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

Trent Arena at Kettering Fairmount High School. This place was made for basketball games....

Defiance's new gym is a lot like Kettering Fairmont's.

#33 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:39 AM

View Postwaterloowonder, on 19 February 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

Defiance's new gym is a lot like Kettering Fairmont's.

Just checked out pics of Defiance's gym, it is really close to Kettering's...looks great

#34 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

View PostADog, on 17 February 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

ADog.....

I agree with you about Trent Arena....just a great place for tourney games!!!!!!!!!!!

#35 Outspoken

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Member No.: 243

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

The new Defiance gym is absolutely fantastic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users