Suspending Players For Viloent Hits

8 replies to this topic

#1 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

After a crazy week in the NFL with head injuries, reportely totaling 14, how do we stop this from happening? Is the suspension theory good? I totally hate the ruling about not being able to hit the QB, cause after all they do play football. But in many cases like this weekend, a lot of these are pure accidents and may or may not have been avoided. Im sure the brilliant glare.gif shrug2.gif commish can figure something out

Thoughts............
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#2 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (FrOnT RoW JOE @ Oct 18 2010, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After a crazy week in the NFL with head injuries, reportely totaling 14, how do we stop this from happening? Is the suspension theory good? I totally hate the ruling about not being able to hit the QB, cause after all they do play football. But in many cases like this weekend, a lot of these are pure accidents and may or may not have been avoided. Im sure the brilliant glare.gif shrug2.gif commish can figure something out

Thoughts............

They should go back to the type of helmet I used in the late 70's. It was pretty thin. I remember using my helmet to hit with but I certainly couldn't launch myself at full speed with it. Plus, players are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever.

Yeah, you heard me right; REDUCE the padding. huh.gif

#3 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

Just play soccer.....no head injuries there, and it is the real version of football.........the only real sport other than soccer is wrestling...........'Big Time Wrestling'.........that is!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (flounder @ Oct 20 2010, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just play soccer.....no head injuries there, and it is the real version of football.........the only real sport other than soccer is wrestling...........'Big Time Wrestling'.........that is!!!!!!!!!!!

laugh.gif

I know, joe.... It was a crazy wknd of scary hits.....

I think anyone who committs a head-to-head hit (intentionally) should be suspended....and possibly a fine on top of it... obviously the fines by themselves aren't working--aren't even hardly being handed out, from what I can tell....let them have the feeling of letting their teammates & fans down & hit 'em in the pocket, too......

I know this would be very difficult to work out & if ever enacted, there's always gonna be complaints from both sides/teams about whatever action is/isn't taken in each case, but I think something has to be done....just wish I had the right answer.

and, of course, what lep suggested isn't ever gonna happen, but, that does make a bit of sense if these guys weren't animals & able to withstand an incredible amount pain in the 1st place! football.gif
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#5 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:25 AM

I think what you will eventually see as a result of the changes are defenders going after the ball on contact with their fists, hands, and elbows. The ball can be effectively dislodged this way during the time the receiver is trying to haul it in. You will also see more knee injuries as players begin to hit lower.

#6 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

put the flags on! they play football....still very irritated.........
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#7 labatts69

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Member No.: 695

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (flounder @ Oct 20 2010, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as we used to say in college, football players do it hard, soccer players do it for 90 minutes, but RUGBY players do it hard for 90 minutes. Now there is a sport and no pads. No football in high school but loved this in college.
2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013 - Champion
Fantasy Baseball -RCBL

#8 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

So....anyone notice any difference in playing this wknd?
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#9 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

a bunch of puss boys in the front office arent complaining this week.......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users