33 replies to this topic

#21 BlueBuckIjays

All State

• Members
  • 520 posts

Member No.: 9539

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostGeneral Tso, on 02 March 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Very well said. I went to one O-G game and some of her fans were very classless. What an embarrassment to the town.
Did they chase a blue chicken around and kill it like they did when playing DSJ in the 70's? :-) But they do have a very passionate, large national fan base. So large in fact that they would not play at DSJ again because thousands and thousands of their fans would not be able to attend :-)

#22 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

Funny how fans and fan bases are. Spoke with a fan from each side today. both questioned the officiating against their respective sides. Guess Myers had a couple of "possible" calls not go against the Eagles early that could have gave her 3 fouls early? Changes the game. No doubt over the years LB seems to always shoot more free throws than the opponents. Honestly, hate to see the Simon girl get hurt, but LB has played pretty darn good without her. Kotey has really stepped up and DeVincentes has been a nice 2nd scorer to Myers.

Should be a good game tuesday with Archbold.

#23 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Member No.: 2841

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:20 AM

I'd say the questionable officiating thing is fair. LB got away with a handful of calls that should have been offensive fouls for creating room with a forearm while OG got away with some hacks on defense that could have been called....so both could say they have issues with the officials.
Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

#24 outsider

All League

• Members
  • 20 posts

Member No.: 9247

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Myers could have definitely had a 3rd early foul. However, the taller ellerbrock and miller for og were getting away with some agruable fouls also. I think og probably lost the game or lb won it when og could not take advantage of several lb players being in early foul trouble. Great game to watch played by 2 well coached teams. Looking forward to tuesday night. Have not seen archbold this year but hear good things.

#25 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Member No.: 2841

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Found it interesting to note Archbold ended OG and LB's seasons last year in back to back games.
Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

#26 NDLOVER

All District

• Members
  • 135 posts

Member No.: 4389

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

So Tiger3 are you saying it's LB's turn this year to end OG and Archbold's season? I think it just may happen.

#27 nothalfbad

All District

• Members
  • 201 posts

Member No.: 5659

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostGeneral Tso, on 02 March 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Very well said. I went to one O-G game and some of her fans were very classless. What an embarrassment to the town.
I do think that there are some fans that are an embarrassment to the towns from all schools. It is sad that certain fans have to say things so classless to an opposing coach who has earned his status and to a team of girls that have earned their status. Always fun to watch to successful teams play each other. But, there is always a winner and loser. When you win win with grace. When you lose lose with grace. Nothing to hang your head on. But some fans need to just stay home and spew their garbage at home.

#28 nothalfbad

All District

• Members
  • 201 posts

Member No.: 5659

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostBlueBuckIjays, on 02 March 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

Did they chase a blue chicken around and kill it like they did when playing DSJ in the 70's? :-) But they do have a very passionate, large national fan base. So large in fact that they would not play at DSJ again because thousands and thousands of their fans would not be able to attend :-)
You do bring that up often. I have the feeling there is just a little bit of jealousy that your fan base fails in comparison. What does that bother you?

#29 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

View Postnothalfbad, on 03 March 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

I do think that there are some fans that are an embarrassment to the towns from all schools. It is sad that certain fans have to say things so classless to an opposing coach who has earned his status and to a team of girls that have earned their status. Always fun to watch to successful teams play each other. But, there is always a winner and loser. When you win win with grace. When you lose lose with grace. Nothing to hang your head on. But some fans need to just stay home and spew their garbage at home.
Great post nothalfbad, you are correct, EVERY fan base has a few knuckleheads who just don't get it. It's high school sports folks, still wholesome. Great to see these smaller communities come out and follow their kids. For schools with not a lot of tradition, a district title is like winning the state. And it's not guaranteed every year. Sometimes the regions are flipped around and you have two good teams meet in the sectionals or district semi-finals.

#30 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

View PostOhswish12, on 02 March 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

LB and OG should be very proud of their teams and the basketball traditions they have. It was great to see these two state ranked teams play twice this year. It is unfortunate though that sometimes fans forget these are young girls playing. A fan crosses the line though when he tells the players from the opposing team they have no class after the game, then tells the coach, in front of his players, he has no class. It's a shame one person, from one of the most successful basketball program schools in NW Ohio, can make such a comment. Every school has fans who are passionate for their team, but let the kids enjoy the happiness that comes from a win and deal with the pain from a loss.

I was standing behind the LB bench at the end of the game near the exit door, and saw the OG fan and can't figure out why he called Nate Irwin classless ( I am just guessing the fan was just mad the titans lost). LB coach Irwin was his usual whiny self to the officials and did call a timeout up 12 points with :10 left.....but really, if that gets a fan all riled up, said fan needs to grow a thicker skin.

that said, LB was the better team and it sounds like the matchup with Archbold will be a good one.

#31 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

This game will not be close..........

LB 55
Archbold 38
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#32 Triple A

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Member No.: 9264

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 03 March 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

I was standing behind the LB bench at the end of the game near the exit door, and saw the OG fan and can't figure out why he called Nate Irwin classless ( I am just guessing the fan was just mad the titans lost). LB coach Irwin was his usual whiny self to the officials and did call a timeout up 12 points with :10 left.....but really, if that gets a fan all riled up, said fan needs to grow a thicker skin.

that said, LB was the better team and it sounds like the matchup with Archbold will be a good one.
I've only watched the LB girls twice this year with neither being a close game and both times it seems like Irwin complains about every call. Tip off to the final horn. I would think he'd agree with at least a few calls every now and then. I can see how it would grow old not only with opposing fans but with LB fans. Not a reason to confront him or say anything but it might be time for someone to talk to him and encourage him to grow up a little.

#33 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

I've seen hundreds of games over the years, and sometimes you just have coaches whose personalities just come out that way. Right or wrong, it's just the way it is. Officials are human, and I guess as an official, I'd have a lot better chance of listening to a coach who occasionally said something than a coach who complains about every call that goes against his or her team. I've always felt coaching on game day, you can only make about a 20% impact on the game. The 80% of coaching in practice is what wins or loses games for you.

#34 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostCommon Sense, on 04 March 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

I've seen hundreds of games over the years, and sometimes you just have coaches whose personalities just come out that way. Right or wrong, it's just the way it is. Officials are human, and I guess as an official, I'd have a lot better chance of listening to a coach who occasionally said something than a coach who complains about every call that goes against his or her team. I've always felt coaching on game day, you can only make about a 20% impact on the game. The 80% of coaching in practice is what wins or loses games for you.
Common Sense, game day is 10%, practice is 20%, and the off season is 70%.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users