OG grad Brian Schmiedebusch leads nation in punting

5 replies to this topic

#1 doughash

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Member No.: 135

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

Brian is punting for the BGSU Falcons and is averaging 52.5 yards per kick which is first among FBS schools after 3 weeks of the season.

#2 titanman

All District

• Members
  • 423 posts

Member No.: 147

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

Schmiedebusch Named National Punter of the Week by the CFPA

Brian Schmiedebusch, a member of the Bowling Green State University football team, was named the National Punter of the Week by the College Football Performance Award, an online college football website.

Schmiedebusch, a native of Ottawa, Ohio, averaged 58.7 yards per punt, including a 61 and 60 yard boot versus Wyoming. The sophomore had just three punts on the day, but two landed inside the opponent's 20, including a 55-yard punt that was downed at the Cowboys’ 2-yardline.

Schmiedebusch is averaging 52.5 yards per punt in 2011, which is tops in the country. In 12 punt attempts this season eight have gone over 50 yards, while another six hand landed inside the 20-yardline.

Article from the BGSU website, very impressive stuff to say the least. Hopefully he can continue the success!

#3 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

I noticed that in the OSU media release in the statistics part. I didn't realize he was from OG. Congrats.

#4 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

Congrats to Brian....Always great to see a area athlete do well....especially in D1!!!!!!!!

#5 doughash

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Member No.: 135

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

http://www.toledobla...in-punting.html

BOWLING GREEN -- The route punter Brian Schmiedebusch took to Bowling Green State University was anything but direct.
Even though Schmiedebusch graduated from Ottawa-Glandorf High School, roughly 45 miles southwest of BG, the route included time at the University of Findlay as a linebacker.
Linebacker? Yes, the 6-4, 215-pound redshirt sophomore said several schools -- including Bowling Green and Toledo -- recruited him to play linebacker.
"Findlay was the only school that offered me [a scholarship]," he said. "I had a couple of offers to walk on, but I really didn't feel comfortable with that.
"I felt comfortable with Findlay, so I ended up signing with them."
Schmiedebusch had an immediate impact with the Oilers, averaging 42.1 yards per punt as a freshman and booting seven of his 38 kicks 50 yards or more while placing 11 inside the 20. He earned All-American second-team honors.
Then he decided to transfer.
"They wanted me to play linebacker, and I didn't want to do that -- I wanted to focus on punting," Schmiedebusch said. "I thought with the season I had, I could do a little better. So I looked into transferring to Division I."
Schmiedebusch transferred to BG and redshirted last season before winning the punting job from Jerry Phillips last spring. What made things more difficult was a switch from being a conventional punter to using a "rugby" style, which involves punting while on the run.
"I started doing it during winter conditioning," he said. "I worked with Bryan Wright, the punter last year, and he helped me with getting the drops down and getting the timing down.
"It took a little bit of time, but it's night and day now."
Schmiedebusch's first punt this year went 51 yards at Idaho, and the second sailed 81 yards -- tying the BG record for the second-longest in school history.
"That got my confidence up," Schmiedebusch said of his early success. "I was feeling good, and the sky was the limit from there. It was a confidence booster, to be sure."
Schmiedebusch leads the nation with his average of 52.5 yards per punt. Of his 12 punts, eight have covered at least 50 yards and six have dropped inside the 20.
"Except for one punt against Morgan State, Brian has been a force," BG coach Dave Clawson said. "He has changed field position with his punts, and they haven't been returnable punts."
Schmiedebusch said the Falcons' net punting average (punt minus return yards) of 47.67 yards per kick, which ranks second nationally, is partially because of the rugby kicks.
"It's hard for the opposing returners to judge where the ball is going to be kicked," he said. "Using the rugby kicks is to our advantage."
Will Schmiedebusch ever push for a starting spot at linebacker?
"I'll leave it to the other guys to do that stuff," he said. "I joke with the guys, saying that if they run towards the sidelines I'm going to smack somebody. But I hope it never comes to that."

#6 Guest_Victorian_*

• Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:13 AM

That Bryan Wright he mentioned transferred to BG from Michigan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users