Coach Wooden turns 99

10 replies to this topic

#1 UGAdawg

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Member No.: 1648

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

Former UCLA men's basketball coach, John Wooden was 99 on Wednesday October 14th. The Hall of Famer is now confined to a wheelchair after minor medical problems the past several years.

He won a record of 10 national championships at UCLA, including 7 in a row. He was born and raised in Indiana and was inducted in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as a player in 1960 and as a coach in 1970.

UGAdawg..out!
Proud Dad to Wildfire, 18 year old girl's BMX Champion and member of Team USA

IPFW Basketball, University of Findlay Basketball, Van Wert High School Basketball and the Ft Wayne Mad Ants (Oakwood Bobcats 1884-1971)

#2 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hopefully he sticks around to at least hit 100, and hopefully for a while afterward. It would be a great accomplishment for a great coach.

#3 kershal

All District

• Members
  • 490 posts

Member No.: 504

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (UGAdawg @ Oct 15 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Former UCLA men's basketball coach, John Wooden was 99 on Wednesday October 14th. The Hall of Famer is now confined to a wheelchair after minor medical problems the past several years.

He won a record of 10 national championships at UCLA, including 7 in a row. He was born and raised in Indiana and was inducted in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as a player in 1960 and as a coach in 1970.

UGAdawg..out!

QUOTE (dhsdawg06 @ Oct 15 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully he sticks around to at least hit 100, and hopefully for a while afterward. It would be a great accomplishment for a great coach.

I agree, thats a pretty remarkable thing to do. It does not happen very often.
Atlanta Braves 2011

#4 knightmare07

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Member No.: 2307

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

That is amazing!!

#5 Bandido

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Member No.: 99

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

I saw him be interviewed the other day at the ripe old age of 99..... What's really amazing is how good of a memory he has and how alert he is for being that old.... I think he could still coach by the way he was talking. It was like he hadn't aged in the last 30 years.

#6 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

Best college coach ever.........and I mean ever....he molded his teams aroound the talent he had....I met the man at the Wooden Tradition in Indianapolis a few years back, and he was one of the nicest down to earth human beings I have ever talked to....and sharp as a tack..........I have admired this man for 40 years and he will go down as the best coach ever....a truly amazing individual!!!!!!!!

#7 kershal

All District

• Members
  • 490 posts

Member No.: 504

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:47 AM

QUOTE (flounder @ Oct 16 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best college coach ever.........and I mean ever....he molded his teams aroound the talent he had....I met the man at the Wooden Tradition in Indianapolis a few years back, and he was one of the nicest down to earth human beings I have ever talked to....and sharp as a tack..........I have admired this man for 40 years and he will go down as the best coach ever....a truly amazing individual!!!!!!!!

That had to of been pretty awesome.
Atlanta Braves 2011

#8 UGAdawg

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Member No.: 1648

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

I seen him in person one time. UCLA played Depaul in Chicago and Bill Walton was a senior.

UGAdawg..out!
Proud Dad to Wildfire, 18 year old girl's BMX Champion and member of Team USA

IPFW Basketball, University of Findlay Basketball, Van Wert High School Basketball and the Ft Wayne Mad Ants (Oakwood Bobcats 1884-1971)

#9 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (kershal @ Oct 17 2009, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That had to of been pretty awesome.

kershal.......

It was awesome......actually have a picture taken of him and myself......this is how classy a guy John is......he was sitting on the opposite side of the floor as we were.....he was on the aisle, and for two games he allowed spectators to come down and converse or have a picture taken with him.....time with him was only a few minutes.....needless to say, it took away from the games as people were more interested in seeing John...a hoosier native........he is a great person and very humble....unlike most coaches today......

I have also had the opportunity to meet Bob Knight and converse with him for about 20 minutes.....just the opposite of Wooden, but Bob has so much charisma and is very down to earth.....we talked golf, fishing and about our local high school coach.....left that meeting respecting Bob Knight more than I ever thought!!!!!!

#10 invosox09

• Members
  • 13 posts

Member No.: 5134

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

what has john roddick done to become a known coach? As far as I know the important coaching job he had was coach Andy Roddick and andy played some of his worst tennis at that time.

#11 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (invosox09 @ Dec 8 2009, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what has john roddick done to become a known coach? As far as I know the important coaching job he had was coach Andy Roddick and andy played some of his worst tennis at that time.

invo.........

What does this post have to do with John Wooden!!!!!!!!!!!! pav.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users