Arlington's week ahead

150 replies to this topic

#21 Pulitzer

All District

• Members
  • 208 posts

Member No.: 6455

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'll join the chorus in saying that New Riegel may be a bit overrated. But, having seen them twice, I'm very impressed with how sound those young kids are in the fundamentals. New Riegel must have some pretty good coaches at the seventh and eighth grade levels. I think Arlington beats them handily, but it's definitely a team to keep an eye on the next couple years.

#22 Grace

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Member No.: 1355

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

View Postbambino, on 24 January 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

How many of the BVC teams other than L-B (1 yr) have made a run in the tourney? I think NR and Carey have been to the finals but consistancy over the years NR always seems to put something together. I would be worried about the Big Green come tourney for A'town. When would they meet?

LB went to state 2 years in a row not 1. Arcadia had made a run back some years ago but other than that the MAL has made its mark. Oh, I forgot about Carey because they have put some good tournament runs together to over the years. As far as the BIG Green, they are the team to beat around NW Ohio or should I say Ohio. I have seen them play and they are for real. I know come tournament time they have struggled in the past but I'm thinking this could be a different year for them. SW made it to the regional finals 3-4 years ago and got upset by NR and then NR got kocked off in the semi's at state. That was the year SW had the duo of Tate & Geroski and NR had Lauren Hutton.

#23 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Member No.: 5317

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

LB - 2 state appearances, PG - Regional birth 2 yrs ago, Arlington - Regional birth last year, not too mention an undefeated season until losing to a very good DSJ team.

The BVC has had some very good teams at the top the past several years. LB, Arlington, PG, and now add Arcadia to the mix.

To add on to Grace's comments...I also believe (as does anyone who follows girls basketball) that Ottoville is the cream of the crop this year in this area. HOWEVER...last year's Atown team was the best I have seen in girls basketball, won every single game by huge margins all year and lost a tough one in Regional semi's last year to DSJ. Anything can happen in tourneys on a given night....
Arlington Red Devils
2012 Girls Basketball State Champs
2012 Boys Basketball State Semi-Finalist

#24 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:06 AM

View Postbambino, on 24 January 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

The reason NR and Arcadia's records are what they are both schools have great coaches with alot of experience bottom line period!!!

That may be so I don't know but I think it's more because they don't play anybody.

Put them in the MAC playing St Johns schedule or in the PCL playing Ottoville's schedule and we won't see the same record in my opinion. NR and Arcadia may both be good teams but they havn't proven that until they beat somebody good. Arlington would be a start.

Edited by Mysterio, 25 January 2012 - 07:26 AM.

No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#25 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

View Postbambino, on 24 January 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

How many of the BVC teams other than L-B (1 yr) have made a run in the tourney? I think NR and Carey have been to the finals but consistancy over the years NR always seems to put something together. I would be worried about the Big Green come tourney for A'town. When would they meet?

I looked ahead at the tournament pairings from sectionals on to state. If everything worked out in both their favors they would meet in regional semi-finals at Elida High School. But before that Arlinton will cruise to the districts and in my opinion have to go through Miller City before that regional semi matchup. Ottoville will cruise into the districts and have to go through St. Johns/Jefferson before that regional semi matchup.

Edited by Mysterio, 25 January 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#26 NDLOVER

All District

• Members
  • 135 posts

Member No.: 4389

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

Post- Atowns team last year the best you have seen? What about Riverdale's state semi team and LB's two year run to state? Just to name a few.
Very glad to see the Devil's finally crack the top 10 in the polls. Will be very interesting to see where they are after winning the next 2 games. Should be in top 5 I'm guessing.

#27 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Member No.: 2544

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostNDLOVER, on 25 January 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Post- Atowns team last year the best you have seen? What about Riverdale's state semi team and LB's two year run to state? Just to name a few.
Very glad to see the Devil's finally crack the top 10 in the polls. Will be very interesting to see where they are after winning the next 2 games. Should be in top 5 I'm guessing.
IMO, Riverdale's two teams prior to their state run were just as good, if not better...they just ran into a meat-grinder D3 sectional the one year (Kortney Kin's senior year) which featured THREE top-5 teams. We lost by one point to a very good Upper Sandusky team (missing a last-second layup where Kin appeared to be fouled, but ended up in a no-call...end of game). An interesting note...Upper Sandusky was the largest D3 team in the state that year (right at the cut-off), and Riverdale was like 3-5 girls above the D4 cut-off...so very close to a D2 vs. a D4, but it was what it was. Riverdale featured a lineup with 6'3", 6'1", and 6'1" post players...amazing height for such a small school.

Back to topic:
Good Luck to Arlington the rest of this week and season!

Edited by falconfan84, 25 January 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#28 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Okay, okay...let's just say last years team was as good as I have seen in girls basketball including all team's listed above IMO. Let's let that one rest.

Back to the topic...

Can't wait for tomorrow's game against Arcadia. Atown took care of business last night against Rdale and now on to the big game Thursday against Arcadia. I think this game has huge potential to be a classic...I know Arcadia got a first hand look last night as Baker and crew were taking good notes...just not sure that we showed our total package in a game that was pretty much over in first half.

I got a feeling that it will be pretty much a packed house, along with the pep band playing to make it a great atmosphere. Time to take care of business and knock off the #4 team in the state (insert gulp)....

Go Devils, time to take care of business.
Arlington Red Devils

#29 DonnyDonuts

All District

• Members
  • 131 posts

Member No.: 9180

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

An almost guaranteed 15 point win over a highly over rated Arcadia team is the making of a classic? After taking care of business against 4 win Riverdale I just hope the low level Redskins can even give the mighty Arlington a work out (not that they will need one to get ready for New Riegel). I have to admit I really enjoy this site since I found it a couple of days ago. Thanks

#30 Grace

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Member No.: 1355

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

I will be very surprised if Arlington doesn't roll over NR by at least 15. The starting five on both teams are not equal. The Ladd girl is physical and their point guard Scherger is a good one but I won't go to much further than that compared to the Lady Devils.

#31 bvcgrad

All District

• Members
  • 400 posts

Member No.: 2973

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

Ugly game for the lady devils but they stepped up big in the second half.

#32 DonnyDonuts

All District

• Members
  • 131 posts

Member No.: 9180

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:40 AM

Ifs and Buts, Candy and Nuts.

The first half with Glick was a diffferent game than the second half without her.

Arlington is a very good team. They did what good teams do, when they tasted blood they went in for the kill.

#33 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

The day after...

I feel for the Glick girl...always tough to see a good high school athlete go down in what looked like a serious knee injury. I hope she is not out for the year, as Arcadia is not deep and needs her. Looked like her knee buckled on a rebound.

Palmer reminds me of Klausing from last year...crazy fast & quick with the ball. What an improvement she has made and has to be considered top 3 player in league IMO (Recker, Craft, Palmer). I was very impressed.

A good effort by red devils. Not the best start, but as you would expect out of a well coached and veteran team, they pulled it together and got it done. I thought our experience in big games was a factor, as well as overall depth of team. Arcadia has some very nice players but in the end, but I thought our defense wore them out and it showed in 3rd and 4th quarters.

Is there a more valuable defensive player than Joy Reamsnyder in the area? She will go down as one of the best defensive players at Arlington in a long time. Without her, this team would not be the same. She battled Palmer all night and literally wore her down by half. Incredible.

A good game, great atmosphere and great win for Arlington. Now time to go to NR and beat the #2 team in the AP poll.... :D
Arlington Red Devils

#34 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

Good win for Arlington. They showed exactly why Arcadia is ranked too high and now its New Riegels turn. I don't see this win being a very impressive win like some people on the radio and on tv are calling it. You have to consider that we all knew Arcadia was ranked way too high. And now New Riegel will basically be the next team to fall. I could see this game being a bigger defecit than the Arcadia game. So don't be too surprised if #2 goes down hard next week, because its expected the way I look at it. Even with these wins over two over ranked teams, Arlington deserves to be in the top 5 at least.

#35 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

Mysterio - based on all of your comments, I am having a hard time figuring out if you are an Arlington fan or just a NR / Arcadia detractor...

I do agree that both teams are not deserving of such a high ranking, but I also have said and will say again that Arcadia has a very nice team (with Glick) and could beat about anyone on a given night. Palmer is a fantastic player that just ran into a very good defensive team and defender in Reamsnyder.

Help us out here...
Arlington Red Devils

#36 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

Post Player...I'm no detractor of either school or any out there. I just feel these two schools to be ranked this high is absurd. And I think that proves why based on last nights game and soon to be with New Riegel. Arlington has shown to me that they have a nice team and can make a good tourney run. They have proven that by hanging in there with Liberty Benton and beating a "highly ranked" #4 Arcadia by 21 points. Not to mention what they did last season too. Arcadia has not shown that after last nights loss and unless New Riegel can keep it close with Arlington next week, then the same goes with them.

Like I said before, if Arcadia kept this game close the whole time and only lost by 5-7 points. I would think differently of them and think ya they can knock off anyone. But unfortunately they didn't and therefore I don't see them being able to beat the better teams in D4. I know I'm being a little harsh on them but I just have a hard time seeing them in the top 10 especially after this loss. Good win by Arlington

Edited by Mysterio, 27 January 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#37 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

Anyone that follows high school sports closely at all understands that while the state polls are nice for conversation pieces and promotion of your program, they mean very little. Most polls are voted on by individuals who know their area and little about the rest of the state. Coaches who've been in programs with a long history of success tend to get the nod in state polls. It's a visability thing.
Time will tell on how these teams stack up in the state, but there is no doubt they are two of the best teams in the area. This was a great game for the BVC.

#38 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

Boys and girls.......I keep trying to tell you that you are following the wrong polls.........if you have time, please check out Flounder's and Rocketman's polls for the only unbiased polls in the state of Ohio........I might be going out on a limb here, but barring serious injuries, it will be Ottoville battling Arlington in the regional for a state berth......right now, that game is to close to call, but I give Ottoville a very slight edge.....the past 2 seasons, O'town was falling into a major funk....something they never recovered from and were soundly beaten before state.........the O'town fans have their fingers crossed this season in hopes that the annual disappointment doesn't happen again!!!!!!

And Mysterio is very nervous about this!!!!!

#39 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 27 January 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

Time will tell on how these teams stack up in the state, but there is no doubt they are two of the best teams in the area. This was a great game for the BVC.

Um Arcadia is not as good as you think. And they are clearly not one of the better teams in the area. I believe them getting beat as bad as they did last night proves that. They may have a nice team compared to some of the teams they have played on their schedule excluding Arlington. But if they go up against some of the better teams in the state/area, they will lose like they did last night. Just my opinion

#40 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

View Postflounder, on 27 January 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

And Mysterio is very nervous about this!!!!!

:bag:

Oh I don't think I'm nervous flounder :punk: I have only been to a few games this year and they look good but I just am not sold on them yet. They do have a better team than the last time they were ranked #1 and lost to Fort Loramie in regionals a few years ago. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone upsets them in the next couple weeks before tournament. The Jays vs Big Green always seems to never disappoint a good game as will it be again this year. You making a trip down 66 in a few weeks flounder?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users