The 2013 Browns

181 replies to this topic

#81 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Member No.: 9528

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

A 31 point second quarter by the Bengals in which the Browns held the ball for over eleven minutes doomed a great start to the game by the Browns Defense. Special team play by the Bengals and lack of by the Browns, along with the Browns inability to score TDs when inside the ten yard line all contributed to this loss. Jason Campbell looked like a deer in the headlights at times and appeared afraid to make any mistakes by forcing the ball downfield. The lack of a running game for the Browns and watching Bucs RB Bobby Rainey, (we cut him a few weeks ago), run for 160 plus yards, makes one once again question what the front office is doing......Also watching unknown QBs like Scott Tolzien and Matt McGloin come from obscurity to having success on the field while we continue to keep Brandon Weeden on the roster and hope Jason Campbell can be adequate is scary as we look for help in the draft. There have been several other bench buried QBs help their teams this year while the Browns play on......3-3 to finish the season 8-8 seems optimistic at this point.........The roller coaster of optimism is going down now with the Steelers, Jags, and Steelers next three. Did anyone notice what Big Ben did today? The Jags aren't laying down, Jets, Pats, Bears OUCH! I'm calling 6-10 now hoping we can beat the Jags and Steelers once.

#82 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Member No.: 3674

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

It amazes me still, how other teams that have problems running can still throw screens, quick hits, or just plain pitch the ball to get their back in space so they can run. Wait we cut RAiney, so we can have a dead legs running back try to get to the outside. I forgot. For all the Brain cells on the Staff, I would think we could figured out how to use our playmakers better.

I again do not understand why running the ball isn't more of a concern, and trying to make that happen. Best way to help your QB. QB's who are average and or cannot extend plays shouldn't be throwing the ball 55 times in a game! and only calling 19 running plays.
The Browns offense at one time was Cincy's best weapon.

Special teams were horrible! We get the first one blocked I would think you would be looking for the second one.

Edited by gamekeeper, 18 November 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#83 Ward

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Member No.: 9502

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

I know there are experts out there that say this league is a QB driven league. Well in a way yes but you still need to establish some sort of running game to make the passing game open up. Campbell, Weeden, or Hoyer are not the type of QBs that you can rely on to throw 50+ times and win games. My question to the Browns fans is what is your main focus be on come the draft. Go after a QB early or a RB? To be honest I think there are advantages to both sides. Draft a QB if the opportunity is there and maybe go after Tate?? It just depends I guess on who is available at the draft.

#84 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

With two first round picks and one second round pick, we need to take a QB and a RB. The question is with what picks? Given the current status of available QBs I'm not sure what will be available unless we trade up. If we trade up and lose one of those picks in the process, we better be sure. That is the problem with our draft history and Qbs in general, you can never be sure.

I would like us to take a can't miss player with the first pick and then a QB/RB with the other two picks. I would also like us to take a 2nd QB in a later round pick. Of course it all depends on where we end up and where the Colts pick ends up. How about WR Evans from Texas AM with our first pick, then QB with our second first round pick, maybe Carr from Fresno State? Then how about Carlos Hyde with our second round pick. Then we address say CB, OL, LB and get another QB in there somewhere in a later round.

Of course with our draft history will will trade all our cards for Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel and they will bust. Oh to be a browns fan......

#85 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

I think Hyde will go in the bottom of the first round. But he's the back I want the most

#86 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

Browns history we will take a QB, and yes I agree with The elf we will take the flavor of the month like we always do, because we fear they will be great somewhere else.

Considering the QB and RB seems to be the most concern for the Browns, I do think they have to take the one they want as soon as they can to get who they want or trade down if they think they will still be there.

I like Hyde, And Georgia has a couple of backs that if they come out will be good too. We could get the back with the trent 1st round pick.

#87 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

If the Browns lose to Slice's "other" team this week, I'm gonna be awful disappointed........

#88 Ward

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I know recently the Buckeyes have not been able to produce quality type RBs in the NFL, but I think Hyde has potential to be a successful back. I think if you are the Browns you use one of your first round picks on a RB. I don't think there are that many stud RBs in the college level right now that would be in the NFL draft next season so it's possible that maybe the Browns would like to use that pick on a different position and perhaps go after free agent RBs like Ben Tate, Darren McFadden, MJD, etc.

#89 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

In the NFL, successful running backs quickly sqeeze through the small hole that the line creates, then make their cuts at the Linebacker level. Hyde fits this mould. Richardson is slow to the hole and often cuts in the backfield. The only back that I ever saw that could cut in the backfield and get away with it was Barry Sanders.

#90 Ward

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

View Postlepiota, on 20 November 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

In the NFL, successful running backs quickly sqeeze through the small hole that the line creates, then make their cuts at the Linebacker level. Hyde fits this mould. Richardson is slow to the hole and often cuts in the backfield. The only back that I ever saw that could cut in the backfield and get away with it was Barry Sanders.

Not to mention now that defensive lineman and linebackers are bigger and faster too. If Hyde continues to have success like he has had recently, he will be a mid-late first rounder. Would like to see a Buckeye RB get drafted in the first round and wish him success at the next level.

#91 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

The Browns take on the Steelers tomorrow and are a 1 1/2 point home favorite. The O/U is 40. Big Ben is something like 15-1 vs the Browns and since 1999, Tim Couch is the only QB to have multiple wins against them.

Last week I took the Browns and the points & things were looking good until the 2nd Q 31 point implosion. I'll take the Steelers & the points this week. The Browns will play good tomorrow at home but lack of running game & consistent QB play will bite them again.

A loss tomorrow effectively ends any dream of wildcard and they should play like it.

#92 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

Being a Browns fan is like living the NFL version of Groundhog Day

#93 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

View Postlepiota, on 24 November 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Being a Browns fan is like living the NFL version of Groundhog Day
Continual state of déjàvu déjàvu déjàvu déjàvu déjàvu déjàvu déjàvu déjàvu déjàvu........ Y'all must be masochists.

Obviously I'm not a Cleveland fan, but, are you curious if it may have had a diff outcome if Weeden had been in earlier (and your receivers had stick um on their hands lol )? What I did see after he got in didn't look too bad. (Was on the phone again.. Damn holidays! :P )
Hope Campbell is ok.

Missin' the Denver/NE game 'cause of AMAs.......

Go Steelers and Go Bengals!!!! :D
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#94 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

It pains me once again to see the Browns throw the ball 52 times,and run 16. Steelers on the other hand 34 and 34. The Browns don't even try to get a screen play or set up their backs at all. If we are going to chuck it 52 times a game just leave Weeden in. At least he is healthy and Maybe eventually he will hit someone. Also it would be nice on third and 5 and 3 and 4 if we are going to pass at least Have the receivers run past the first down markers. It made no since to me to run a three yard pattern and needing 5 yards for the first. We don't have the QB to get the ball to the receiver as soon as he breaks and by the time they do, and they throw him the ball the DB has caught up.

Hec, let Cameron carry the ball or throw a screen out to him, something. I really thought with Norv Turner coming in the offense would at least move the ball, to at least flip the field.

#95 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

The only way we can beat the Steelers is if we can make it to overtime somehow and Big Ben gets distracted by hunger

#96 Ward

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

The Browns offense is disfunctional. To be honest if I am an opposing defense I would not be intinmidated one bit by their offense. Their run game doesn't intimidate me nor does their passing game. They don't have an elite QB to be passing it 40+ times. Nor do they have an elite running back to be running the ball 20-30 times. This season for the Browns is pretty much over as far as not making the playoffs. Next year will be their big offseason to go get some guys to help them on the offensive. RBs like Ben Tate or Darren McFadden and then maybe look into the draft for a young RB and QB.

#97 gamekeeper

All State

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Wait the same DArren McFadden that can't make it through an entire season. Sorry, that would be a veteran I would not want to sign. Ben Tate i hear is someone they are interested in. Ridley from the Pats maybe available after this season as well.

You can get a back in the draft. There are some good backs that will be in the draft, I hate to over pay for a veteran guy, that may only have a few years left in him. Need a guy who can play for 9 years, not a two or three year guy.

#98 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Remember when RG3 was the next big thing & the future of NFL quarterbacks? Not so much this year. Lots of reasons why, not all his fault. Remember Kirk Cousins? Remember when he beat the Browns?

I don't want a first round QB in this draft. I want RG3 or Kirk Cousins! Strike while the iron is hot at the end of the season when the Skins are 2-14!

Draft a Carr or someone in the 3rd/4th round. We will screw up the evaluation and drafting of a QB in this draft I'm sure of it!!!

RG3 can be had and if not Cousins can be had cause they need a lot of help!

Edited by FearTheElf!!, 26 November 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#99 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

PS The Browns have signed Cowboy practice squad QB Alex Tanney, who is known for some trick shot QBing ability. AWESOME!!

Edited by FearTheElf!!, 26 November 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#100 FearTheElf!!

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

Trick shot ability in Brandon Weedens eyes is hitting a receiver in stride, so this Tanney guy might be an improvement

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users