- - - - -

To gift card, or not?

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Give gift card? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Give gift card?

1. Yes (6 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Perhaps, maybe sometimes (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:08 AM

I watched a talk show this afternoon who is going to do a secret Santa, but, one of the host's apparently abhorrently against gift cards.

I'm an exceptionally hard to buy for person and LOVE gift cards! I actually prefer them 'cause rarely could anyone get me the "right gift". (My husband learned that years ago...yes, even if it was jewelry, it never was the right piece. He'd just tell them the price range he wanted and for them to pick anything in it 'cause he knew I'd return it. :D )

I shop for those I know I can, but, for those I'm less certain about, I have no qualms getting a gift card for them.

What's your thoughts on gift cards?
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#2 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:18 AM

Absolutely gift card. I will go ahead and speak for most men on here and say that since we are mainly only thinking about our own selfish needs, the gift card allows us to be nice without actually giving it some thought.

#3 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

About the only way that you are like my wife-she is difficult to shop for. (I know you are chuckling about this) Usually I will get her a gift card, but amazingly not this year. I didn't get her clothes though so we'll see how that goes.

I usually get my dad a gift card….because I think he already has everything he needs.

I like getting gift cards myself especially restaurants. (Texas Roadhouse, Carraba's Italian Grille especially)

#4 Mo-Problems

All State

• Members
  • 733 posts

Member No.: 3654

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

I hate HATE gift cards. I have a gift card for Texas Roadhouse that I've had since last Christmas. I appreciate the thought but I just don't use them. Give me cash or a Visa Gift Card. You want to treat me to dinner? Great. But I'd prefer a local place, not a chain. With a Visa card, I can choose where I go. And I have a Penny's gift card that I've been holding onto long enough but will probably just use it to get the kids something because I don't really care for much at Penny's. So a gift for me is now going to something for the kids. If I remember, I'll get myself something from somewhere else and consider it even but we all know how that works.
So I don't mind the IDEA of Gift Cards. I think they're great. I just hate the "exclusive" gift cards. If I remember, I'm going to look when I get home to see how many gift cards I have that I still haven't used. Maybe I'll make a plan to use them up through the winter!
Posted Image
I'd rather shower at Penn State than root for Michigan.

#5 Week 10 All-American

All State

• Members
  • 692 posts

Member No.: 1315

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostMo-Problems, on 17 December 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

I hate HATE gift cards. I have a gift card for Texas Roadhouse that I've had since last Christmas. I appreciate the thought but I just don't use them. Give me cash or a Visa Gift Card. You want to treat me to dinner? Great. But I'd prefer a local place, not a chain. With a Visa card, I can choose where I go. And I have a Penny's gift card that I've been holding onto long enough but will probably just use it to get the kids something because I don't really care for much at Penny's. So a gift for me is now going to something for the kids. If I remember, I'll get myself something from somewhere else and consider it even but we all know how that works.
So I don't mind the IDEA of Gift Cards. I think they're great. I just hate the "exclusive" gift cards. If I remember, I'm going to look when I get home to see how many gift cards I have that I still haven't used. Maybe I'll make a plan to use them up through the winter!

So, if I was getting you a 50 dollar gift card to Red Lobster, for example, you would rather have a 50 dollar Visa card or a 50 dollar card to the New Bremen bowling alley?

Just checking...

#6 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

View PostWeek 10 All-American, on 20 December 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

So, if I was getting you a 50 dollar gift card to Red Lobster, for example, you would rather have a 50 dollar Visa card or a 50 dollar card to the New Bremen bowling alley?

Just checking...
$50 to Stinkys preferably.......
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#7 Week 10 All-American

All State

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

View PostRocketman, on 20 December 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

I gotchya.

#8 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostMo-Problems, on 17 December 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

I'll give you 50 cents on the dollar for the Texas Roadhouse gift card :coffee: LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#9 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

In fact, I'll give anyone 50 cents on the dollar for most any gift card........ I'm just cheap, but like to eat out. LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#10 Osu4me

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,173 posts

Member No.: 1916

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:28 PM

I buy them and I use them too! It depends on the person and the location tho. In the past when my parents were getting ready to leave for a winter in Fla I got them gift cards ( AE, Visa or MC) with a few Chain gift cards thrown in for the drive down to Fla. But when my mother got sick and could no longer travel, I got them gifts. Mom passed away this year so it's Sears gift card for Dad so he can add to his tool collection. He loves to go in and shop Sears tools. I think he has an actual Sears tool store in his basement workshop!!

#11 Mo-Problems

All State

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostWeek 10 All-American, on 20 December 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

Just checking...

Exactly. I prefer to eat at Casa Lupita in New Bremen for excellent Mexican food over driving out of town 30 miles for pretty good seafood.
Posted Image

#12 Mo-Problems

All State

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

However, if it's a place we've discussed and I had mentioned I would like to try it but haven't yet, then I think it would be a GREAT idea to give a gift card to that place. Or if I love it but haven't been there in years. (Tony's Ribs in Findlay) If it's a personal gift card, I'm in. But Red Lobster, Texas Roadhouse, Bob Evans? I'll gladly accept it but would prefer other options, even though I like those places.
Posted Image

#13 Week 10 All-American

All State

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

View PostMo-Problems, on 23 December 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

However, if it's a place we've discussed and I had mentioned I would like to try it but haven't yet, then I think it would be a GREAT idea to give a gift card to that place. Or if I love it but haven't been there in years. (Tony's Ribs in Findlay) If it's a personal gift card, I'm in. But Red Lobster, Texas Roadhouse, Bob Evans? I'll gladly accept it but would prefer other options, even though I like those places.

Wife and I ate at Bob Evans twice in about 2 weeks around Thanksgiving. One in Columbus and one in Celina. The food is better than I remember it. Had breakfast one time and took my parents to the one in Celina for Thanksgiving night dinner.

It's starting to grow on me... used to despise it but tried it again a couple years ago and had one of those 3 course meals they advertise. Decent.

#14 Irish Viking 87

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 9522

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostRocketman, on 20 December 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

Don't do it. Roxx would expect half of it in tips for that smiling demeanor she supplies. :angry:

#15 Mo-Problems

All State

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:48 AM

Got one gift card to La Piazza in New Bremen. Couldn't be happier. Gave one gift card from Menards to my wife's brother and his fiance, who just bought a house. Also went over very well.

And I might have to take back my earlier post. Gift cards aren't all that bad. If you aren't sure what to get, don't go to the "gift section" at Sears and do your shopping from there. Bunch of junk. Get a gift card.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users