Will Columbus Grove ever find a new coach?

92 replies to this topic

#1 Osu4me

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,173 posts

Member No.: 1916

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

http://m.limasports....rove-colts.html

#2 osufan512

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 3727

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

No, they're never going to play football again. Lol.

But seriously, I think they will have a new coach in place with in two weeks. They obviously are going to want to hire someone ASAP considering its April 4th already. Just makes me wonder if they will be looking to hire one of the first people that show interest in the job, seeing that they had to hire a guy with zero experience last time around.

#3 bubbatime

All District

• Members
  • 218 posts

Member No.: 4255

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

How many applicants did they have last time?

#4 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

ex marion local head football coach Who primed the pump for their state championship runs would certainly be 1 that should be contacted
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#5 clutch

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Member No.: 2940

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think this is why a lot of people didn't like this hire. He's still young and barely missed the final nfl cuts last year. Why wouldn't he listen if the nfl came calling?
"You're a mess"

#6 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Member No.: 5879

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Word is that the guy from Delphos whom they previously offered the job too, is back as the premier candidate???

#7 osufan512

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

View Postcaldwell, on 04 April 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

Word is that the guy from Delphos whom they previously offered the job too, is back as the premier candidate???

So all the sudden he is willing to lose his seniority and go back into the classroom as a teacher rather than a principal? Doubtful.

#8 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Member No.: 3337

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

View Postcaldwell, on 04 April 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

Didn't he turn it down already? Why would he re-consider?
Mr B

#9 zip52

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Member No.: 9177

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

View Postosufan512, on 04 April 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

So all the sudden he is willing to lose his seniority and go back into the classroom as a teacher rather than a principal? Doubtful.

If we are talking about the same person, he is not a principal anymore. He is in the classroom again.

#10 osufan512

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

View Postzip52, on 04 April 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

If we are talking about the same person, he is not a principal anymore. He is in the classroom again.

If this is not true then I stand corrected. I could have sworn someone posted before when Ulm declined that it was due in part to the fact that he was a principal at Landeck Elementary. Oh well.

Also, from a few in Grove I know, I had heard one of the main reasons he didn't accept the offer the first time around is because they wanted him to teach in their district and this would have made him forfeit his seniority he has built at Jefferson and they couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't get cut if teacher cuts happened. To me, that's a wise decision on his part because of the state of the education market in Ohio right now.

#11 clutch

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Member No.: 2940

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Ok, ok....I'll do it! :)
"You're a mess"

#12 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

View Postclutch, on 04 April 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

I think this is why a lot of people didn't like this hire. He's still young and barely missed the final nfl cuts last year. Why wouldn't he listen if the nfl came calling?

LOL.....and why should he listen now if the NFL came calling......chasing a dream, but what are his realistic chances of making it.....seriously!!!!!

#13 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

View Postflounder, on 04 April 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

LOL.....and why should he listen now if the NFL came calling......chasing a dream, but what are his realistic chances of making it.....seriously!!!!!

Its worth the effort. He may just be lucky enough to be able someday to say he is a "HAS BEEN" instead of a "NEVER WAS"

LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#14 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

390,000 resaons he should listen to the NFL...Good Luck to him...

#15 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

I agree....I hope he makes it, but those teams love good kids who make tremendous practice players......in other words, they use to abuse, and I really don't know if that is fair to the individual.......I would love to see Kyle make it big, but I guess I am just being realistic!!!!!

#16 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

You must be kidding, what choice does he have but to try!! Plus "Indy" is rebuilding, they just dumped their two all star tight ends. I think his chances are above average. I wish him the best!!

#17 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

View Postcaldwell, on 05 April 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

You must be kidding, what choice does he have but to try!! Plus "Indy" is rebuilding, they just dumped their two all star tight ends. I think his chances are above average. I wish him the best!!

Personally, I would say they are still well below average. TEs are cut and off the roster and resigned all the time like any other position...plus the draft is coming up in which they could draft their "needs" in the later rounds. I can understand him trying and I would as well if I was him, but it's kind of radical to try out for a coaching position when you know this might be a possibility that you might go back to try for the NFL even though I doubt he makes a roster.

At any rate, it's time for Grove to move on and find somebody. I personally think waiting for a coach next year would be a better choice at this stage and just go with an interim coach for this upcoming year regardless of who it is. As long as they have some intelligible knowledge of the game and so forth, they should be fine. It doesn't have to be overly complex offensively and Grove has the ability to play option football. Now I realize that the option when broken down to perfection, is arguably one of the most complex offenses you can run, but when it's bare bones HS ball, it's a lot simpler. If not than a simple Wing-T which is no more than subtle variations of about 5 different plays. Even I could put together a playbook and coach up a team on both those offenses. I would think there are at least a few dads out there in the community that could pool together time to coach at least for a year until they get a coach to step in next year. People in the area will have that to stew over by that point and they would have more allotted time to find an individual.

#18 osufan512

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

View Postjeffcat-bucki, on 05 April 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Personally, I would say they are still well below average. TEs are cut and off the roster and resigned all the time like any other position...plus the draft is coming up in which they could draft their "needs" in the later rounds. I can understand him trying and I would as well if I was him, but it's kind of radical to try out for a coaching position when you know this might be a possibility that you might go back to try for the NFL even though I doubt he makes a roster.

At any rate, it's time for Grove to move on and find somebody. I personally think waiting for a coach next year would be a better choice at this stage and just go with an interim coach for this upcoming year regardless of who it is. As long as they have some intelligible knowledge of the game and so forth, they should be fine. It doesn't have to be overly complex offensively and Grove has the ability to play option football. Now I realize that the option when broken down to perfection, is arguably one of the most complex offenses you can run, but when it's bare bones HS ball, it's a lot simpler. If not than a simple Wing-T which is no more than subtle variations of about 5 different plays. Even I could put together a playbook and coach up a team on both those offenses. I would think there are at least a few dads out there in the community that could pool together time to coach at least for a year until they get a coach to step in next year. People in the area will have that to stew over by that point and they would have more allotted time to find an individual.

I am pretty sure theyre not going to have an interim coach, its April. While later in the offseason than most would like, this is not the worst case scenerio.

#19 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

View Postjeffcat-bucki, on 05 April 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Personally, I would say they are still well below average. TEs are cut and off the roster and resigned all the time like any other position...plus the draft is coming up in which they could draft their "needs" in the later rounds. I can understand him trying and I would as well if I was him, but it's kind of radical to try out for a coaching position when you know this might be a possibility that you might go back to try for the NFL even though I doubt he makes a roster. At any rate, it's time for Grove to move on and find somebody. I personally think waiting for a coach next year would be a better choice at this stage and just go with an interim coach for this upcoming year regardless of who it is. As long as they have some intelligible knowledge of the game and so forth, they should be fine. It doesn't have to be overly complex offensively and Grove has the ability to play option football. Now I realize that the option when broken down to perfection, is arguably one of the most complex offenses you can run, but when it's bare bones HS ball, it's a lot simpler. If not than a simple Wing-T which is no more than subtle variations of about 5 different plays. Even I could put together a playbook and coach up a team on both those offenses. I would think there are at least a few dads out there in the community that could pool together time to coach at least for a year until they get a coach to step in next year. People in the area will have that to stew over by that point and they would have more allotted time to find an individual.

Then by all means put your money where your mouth is and apply...

#20 caldwell

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Sean Peyton???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users