"Competitive Balance" fails again...........

4 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

With the final results tabulated it's back to the drawing board for Dr. Dan Ross and his minions at the OHSAA.....By a 339-301 count, the schools have voted their conscience and have decided to keep things just the way they are.........

however, by reading some of the comments attributed to the commissioner and other media members it seems that this just will not die. The OHSAA keeps saying the "administrators from Wayne County" are somehow behind this revolt and are threatening to bring another proposal to the Board next year. Which brings me/us/RC to the real issue at hand....

A. Somebody believes that "some other schools" have unfair advantages vs. their school. Not academics, not the band program, and certainly not the Science or Quiz Bowl teams. Not sure about Latin Club or Audio Visual Club, but that discussion is for another day!

B. This morning on WIMA1150 the two morning announcers mentioned Hathaway Brown's girls basketball team......really?.....are there that many people who follow girls basketball who really care about this problem?.....and it definitely isn't the Wayne County teams who would be complaining.......not with Berlin Hiland and Millersburg West Holmes being some of the best "recruiters" in girls bball around.
They were very careful to mention that Delphos St. Johns and Lima Central Catholic do things the right way. The right way? Just really what is the "right way?"

C. The deep-seated issue is that some schools just can't compete with the elite teams.......period
With the watered down version of the football playoffs to begin next year, where 50% of the biggest schools in the state qualify for the postseason it is becoming apparent that they should just include all teams like EVERY other sport that the OHSAA sponsors......hey OHSAA, more playoff games = more revenue (just sayin')

D. Quite honestly, I could care less whether Liberty Benton, LCC, Ada, Toledo Whitmer, Columbus Northland, or Cincy Taft recruit....honestly! If you are a good athlete you want to compete and win......period
So let them do whatever is necessary and just open up the floodgates to players moving to different schools.....the alternative is going to be separate tournaments for the publics & privates, and then folks it will start the further demise of high school sports in Ohio.....

E. To say nothing of the OHSAA dying a slow and painful death. Just think
1. no more junkets to Hawaii
2. no more need to have all those prime sideline seats down at the Schott in March
3. no more need for those fancy, schmancy offices on Roselea Place

life would be wonderful!.........watching Glenville vs. Colerain in the state football finals year after year in the publics with only 2,000 fans to deal with..

or St. X vs. Iggy Pop duking it out in the "privates" .......

F. You want to know why the OHSAA didn't disqualify ASVSM during the LeBron years?.....I don't think I really need to answer that question, now do I? Sure they took away Harvest Prep's state titles, but other than their 50 fans, who really cared? The OHSAA needs both the "publics" and the "privates" to make this work....one without the other is like a ballpark frank without stadium mustard! Beginning about 10-15 years ago with the advent of those huge AAU tournaments, All star camps, and the like it has become apparent that the days that we knew as high school athletes was long gone........

G. No more school pride, no more playing ball with the kids you grew up with,....... and loyalty? The downsizing of American companies and their moving overseas has cleared our minds of that little problem hasn't it? So here is what I propose the OHSAA enact.......

You want competitive balance?..........get those schools who have great coaches, great fans, pride in their schools, and kids who aren't afraid of hard work to come on over to your school.........and learn something! It's really quite simple

The grass always seems greener on the other side of fence......it's human nature

home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#2 Ice Queen

All League

• Members
  • 34 posts

Member No.: 5275

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

In Response to E, you forgot one.......

Every football championship game
"HOW ABOUT THOSE_______________ (fill in the blank with the winning mascot/team)" I mean seriously, its the same every year. Can we try a new catch phrase?

#3 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

You want competitive balance?..........get those schools who have great coaches, great fans, pride in their schools, and kids who aren't afraid of hard work to come on over to your school.........and learn something! It's really quite simple The grass always seems greener on the other side of fence......it's human nature

My thoughts exactly...usually dont post on this subject cause it just makes me mad...State 2 times in 5 years and get beat by teams that obvisouly had the advantage in this category, but we are one of those teams with great coach, great fans, pride in their school, and kids who worked hard to get where they were, and they learned a few things along the way....
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#4 cubbies4life

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Member No.: 3593

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

View PostRocketman, on 17 May 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

With the final results tabulated it's back to the drawing board for Dr. Dan Ross and his minions at the OHSAA.....By a 339-301 count, the schools have voted their conscience and have decided to keep things just the way they are.........

however, by reading some of the comments attributed to the commissioner and other media members it seems that this just will not die. The OHSAA keeps saying the "administrators from Wayne County" are somehow behind this revolt and are threatening to bring another proposal to the Board next year. Which brings me/us/RC to the real issue at hand....

A. Somebody believes that "some other schools" have unfair advantages vs. their school. Not academics, not the band program, and certainly not the Science or Quiz Bowl teams. Not sure about Latin Club or Audio Visual Club, but that discussion is for another day!

B. This morning on WIMA1150 the two morning announcers mentioned Hathaway Brown's girls basketball team......really?.....are there that many people who follow girls basketball who really care about this problem?.....and it definitely isn't the Wayne County teams who would be complaining.......not with Berlin Hiland and Millersburg West Holmes being some of the best "recruiters" in girls bball around.
They were very careful to mention that Delphos St. Johns and Lima Central Catholic do things the right way. The right way? Just really what is the "right way?"

C. The deep-seated issue is that some schools just can't compete with the elite teams.......period
With the watered down version of the football playoffs to begin next year, where 50% of the biggest schools in the state qualify for the postseason it is becoming apparent that they should just include all teams like EVERY other sport that the OHSAA sponsors......hey OHSAA, more playoff games = more revenue (just sayin')

D. Quite honestly, I could care less whether Liberty Benton, LCC, Ada, Toledo Whitmer, Columbus Northland, or Cincy Taft recruit....honestly! If you are a good athlete you want to compete and win......period
So let them do whatever is necessary and just open up the floodgates to players moving to different schools.....the alternative is going to be separate tournaments for the publics & privates, and then folks it will start the further demise of high school sports in Ohio.....

E. To say nothing of the OHSAA dying a slow and painful death. Just think
1. no more junkets to Hawaii
2. no more need to have all those prime sideline seats down at the Schott in March
3. no more need for those fancy, schmancy offices on Roselea Place

life would be wonderful!.........watching Glenville vs. Colerain in the state football finals year after year in the publics with only 2,000 fans to deal with..

or St. X vs. Iggy Pop duking it out in the "privates" .......

F. You want to know why the OHSAA didn't disqualify ASVSM during the LeBron years?.....I don't think I really need to answer that question, now do I? Sure they took away Harvest Prep's state titles, but other than their 50 fans, who really cared? The OHSAA needs both the "publics" and the "privates" to make this work....one without the other is like a ballpark frank without stadium mustard! Beginning about 10-15 years ago with the advent of those huge AAU tournaments, All star camps, and the like it has become apparent that the days that we knew as high school athletes was long gone........

G. No more school pride, no more playing ball with the kids you grew up with,....... and loyalty? The downsizing of American companies and their moving overseas has cleared our minds of that little problem hasn't it? So here is what I propose the OHSAA enact.......

You want competitive balance?..........get those schools who have great coaches, great fans, pride in their schools, and kids who aren't afraid of hard work to come on over to your school.........and learn something! It's really quite simple

The grass always seems greener on the other side of fence......it's human nature

#5 milt73

All District

• Members
  • 137 posts

Member No.: 7262

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. Schools just need to step it up and stop complaining.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users