Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

http://sportsbuzzohi...urnament-draws/

#4 Hound Dog

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Member No.: 700

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

As always..thanks Coach B. Keep up the good work.
2011-2012 Las Falcon's Basketball Pick-Em Champion!

#5 NWOsports24

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Member No.: 9869

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

No big surprises on seeding, but wondering if each #1 will be at Elida? Arlington, New London, Carey, Ayersville all #1 seeds. Don't know much about the Seneca East district. My predictions for District Finals are Arlington/Ottoville, Carey/St. Wendelin, Ayersville/Holgate, New London/Buckeye Central.

Always a toss up when two teams meet again in tournaments but I think we will see Ottoville, Carey, Ayersville and New London at Elida.

Minster, in my opinion, has a cake walk far east to the regional at Tippecanoe

#6 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

What are some opinions on top 1-4 seeded teams eschewing a bye and playing a first round game? Is this an example of coaches trying to look smart by playing an extra game and getting a blowout win against a team seeded in the teens they know they will kill? I would think after 22 games you would take the bye and use the rest....especially a top-seeded team who probably has plans on advancing far, you will be playing 2 games a week against increasingly tough competition. Not sure, but if I were a coach after a long season I would take that bye every time.

#7 Hagen

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Member No.: 7010

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 01 February 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

What are some opinions on top 1-4 seeded teams eschewing a bye and playing a first round game? ...
I know the case with some of the schools is end-of-season scheduling. Some of them have the entire last week of the season off & don't want two full weeks off before playing a sectional final. Most schools haven't had to cancel & reschedule games this winter, so that last week of the season has remained empty.

For a top 2 seed, taking a play-in doesn't typically hurt, because a 3-6 seed generally won't want to play a 1-2 seed team, so it's two fairly easy games. Seeing some 3-4 seed teams taking a bye & facing a 5-6 seed in the second round is a bit baffling though.

Edited by Hagen, 01 February 2016 - 12:15 PM.

#8 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

What are some opinions on top 1-4 seeded teams eschewing a bye and playing a first round game? Is this an example of coaches trying to look smart by playing an extra game and getting a blowout win against a team seeded in the teens they know they will kill? I would think after 22 games you would take the bye and use the rest....especially a top-seeded team who probably has plans on advancing far, you will be playing 2 games a week against increasingly tough competition. Not sure, but if I were a coach after a long season I would take that bye every time.

I think it would depend on a few things: is the squad healthy or need rest? are they playing well or need a confidence builder? how much tourney experience do they have etc?

#9 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

View PostFlightCrew, on 01 February 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

I think it would depend on a few things: is the squad healthy or need rest? are they playing well or need a confidence builder? how much tourney experience do they have etc?

D-4 OG section will be very tough. Four very good teams, too bad for 3 of them.

#10 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

Not sure, but if I were a coach after a long season I would take that bye every time.
And what coaching experience do you have? You must be one of those downtown coaches who knows more than the coach. Do your hometown team a favor and stay home on game night.

#11 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

View PostGeneral Tso, on 01 February 2016 - 09:45 PM, said:

And what coaching experience do you have? You must be one of those downtown coaches who knows more than the coach. Do your hometown team a favor and stay home on game night.
He was making a good observation and believe it or not, the title "Coach" doesn't make a person any smarter than the rest of us....
There are some really stupid coaches out there....not that this is indicative of that.

#12 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:49 AM

Personally I am a believer if you have a chance to take a first round bye you do it. I don't believe in the confidence booster or gives your team that extra game of experience or helps build momentum sort of thing. An extra game in my opinion has risks. Injuries, fatigue, emotions, I would even say that if your team would struggle or not perform as expected there could be confidence issues there as well. I don't think there really is a right or wrong way of chosing what you would do as I think it varies with different teams and how they are prepared throughout the season, but I think even with that said that you will find less risks and more upside to just taking the bye than playing right away.

Edited by Mysterio, 02 February 2016 - 10:57 AM.

No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#13 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

View PostGeneral Tso, on 01 February 2016 - 09:45 PM, said:

No basketball coaching experience, but I have coached other sports. This site is basically based on "downtown" coach types as it is made up of opinions, and I just happened to share mine regarding tournament seeding and taking a bye or not.Ii wanted to hear what others thought.

That said, does it seem like the idea of taking an extra game instead of a bye is more prevalent on the girls side of things?

#14 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:30 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 02 February 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

No basketball coaching experience, but I have coached other sports. This site is basically based on "downtown" coach types as it is made up of opinions, and I just happened to share mine regarding tournament seeding and taking a bye or not.Ii wanted to hear what others thought.

That said, does it seem like the idea of taking an extra game instead of a bye is more prevalent on the girls side of things?

To keep all Big Green fans up-to-date: Defeated PG tonight 74-32 They are the # 2 seed in their district. Two more games: DSJ & LB

#15 Ericles

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 5556

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:12 PM

My school's girls team has its last regular season game this Saturday (the 6th) and took the bye at the draw, meaning we'll have two weeks off. Our coach's mindset was why prepare for two games when you can prepare for only 1 and get the same result? If you have a weak district, you could possibly get away with the extra game, but if it's somewhat competitive, you should hedge your bets and take the bye.

Edited by Ericles, 03 February 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#16 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostEricles, on 02 February 2016 - 11:12 PM, said:

My school's girls team has its last regular season game this Saturday(the 6th) and took the bye at the draw, meaning we'll have two weeks off. Our coach's mindset was why prepare for two games when you can prepare for only 1 and get the same result? If you have a weak district, you could possibly get away with the extra game, but if it's somewhat competitive, you should hedge your bets and take the bye.

Exactly and well said. Like I said before, I don't care if its a weak district or not, I just try to avoid the extra game. Less chance at an injury or something else. Plus you just get that extra time to heal any possible injuries and take the time to prepare for 1 game not 2.

#17 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:56 AM

View Postvon, on 02 February 2016 - 09:30 PM, said:

To keep all Big Green fans up-to-date: Defeated PG tonight 74-32 They are the # 2 seed in their district. Two more games: DSJ & LB

Have you been or heard much about them this year? (Big Green) Are they better defensively than last few years? Are they more aggressive? Physical? Few years back when they went up against Arlington in the tournament they were just not physical or aggressive enough on both ends. haven't seen a real physical lady green team since jeff schimmoeller left. I think if they want to get by Arlington they will have to be just that, otherwise we may see the same result. Despite all that, seems like they are playing well.

Edited by Mysterio, 03 February 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#18 bvcgrad

All District

• Members
  • 400 posts

Member No.: 2973

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:49 AM

I recall Kleiman saying something to the effect that Arlington was way more physical than them, when they played earlier this season .

#19 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

I wish they would do away with the seeds choices. If you are a 1-4 seed, you take the bye, no questions asked. If you don't want the bye, then fine, you get seeded 5th-8th. Why in the world do you want to play the 12th or 13th seeded team??? It's a 40-50 point blowout, the winning or losing team gets nothing out of it and you potentially could get a key player injured for the next game.

#20 RealDeal

All League

• Members
  • 84 posts

Member No.: 9415

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

Some coaches want that extra win for their personal W/L numbers. Also, some coaches want to get a "scrimmage" under their belts in a new gym before they face real competition. Tourney games (even blowouts) have a different atmosphere.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users