OHSAA pulls public/private split referendum

167 replies to this topic

#41 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

You guys talk tweaks all you want. I'm sure some may be needed. It appears to be a much better plan than status quo. We bag on the OHSAA a lot. They might deserve a little credit this time.
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#42 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

View Postdiassingle, on 23 March 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

So there are 829 schools ? And the last vote taken shows only 640 schools voted ? Is this correct ?

View Postslice slice baby, on 23 March 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

I noticed that, as well, and wondered why the fairly huge discrepancy .....???

View PostDman, on 23 March 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Some schools don't vote.

View Postslice slice baby, on 23 March 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

As much as it pains me ('cause ya know I wub ya), but, you're making me say it....... "Duh, Capt'n Obvious!!" Lol

I/we see that, but, why? Do they never vote, or are the schools able to elect which proposals they choose to be a voice in?

"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#43 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Member No.: 2841

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Having sat in that press conference I'm willing to wait and see how this plays out. They have some good ideas.......don't like it? Ask yourself, do you have a BETTER idea?
Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

#44 8-iron

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Member No.: 3251

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

How many OHSAA member schools are private? What, if any, states have different divisions for private and public?

#45 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Member No.: 1295

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

I could see axding a clause about kids that have open enrolled since a very young age. Case in point....
My sister in law teaches at school A. She lives in neighboring school district B. My nephew is in kindergarten this year and they decided to open enroll him at school A just for the convenience of being on the same schedule. Should school A be given the multiplier when my nephew becomes a freshman? He never will have attended his "home school"

Over all I like it and am glad the social eco and tradition crap is out!

#46 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Here is another one..... Friend of mine lived in school district A ,his kids started school at school A in kindergarten. Two years later my friend built a house in the neighboring school district B but they open enrolled back to school A. Should school A be given the multiplier for his kids when the play sports as freshman? They now reside in school district B but their kids never will have attended school B.

Edited by HH75, 23 March 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#47 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Here is another one.

A group of kids grows up together. They work their butts off. As seniors they get to Columbus to play for the State Championship representing their town and school. Their opponent is a borderless private school with recruits from multiple counties. An all-star collection of DIV I collegiate talent who were put together with the purpose of winning the small school division...even though the team members all live in a big scool district. When the big day arrives, the small school kids are subject to a dunk-fest and high-fiving coach who has their opponent shooting 3-pointers up 25 with less than 5 minutes to play.

You will have to forgive me if I don't take much pitty on a 5 point multiplier being placed on border kids who follow their parents to the school they teach at. 98% of these multipliers won't change a thing. And god-forbid it does. .. we are talking one classification step up.

These nitpicking examples and the initial whining about a few private schools who are now forced to accept a border with the same rules and consequences as every public school they choose to compete against... ARE HILARIOUS when put in perspective of what Leipsic just went through hours ago. Or Arlington...or Grove...or Continental...etc!

This proposal is so much more fair for so many more kids and communities that it is impossible not to support over status quo AS IS. The standard to meet is not 100% fairness and harmony. It just needs to be better than what Leipsic and Troy Christian just had to endure. You notice both a public and a private were completely hosed by today's lack of standards. The OHSAA has a plan to stop that from happening again.

If the by-product of this plan is LCC might have to play DIV II rather than III. Or Temple gets to change nothing and stay in DIV IV... While their basketball boy count goes from 30 to 90...WHO CARES? It is still a less egregious outcome than what VASJ did today.

Perspective folks...
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#48 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostDman, on 23 March 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

Here is another one.

A group of kids grows up together. They work their butts off. As seniors they get to Columbus to play for the State Championship representing their town and school. Their opponent is a borderless private school with recruits from multiple counties. An all-star collection of DIV I collegiate talent who were put together with the purpose of winning the small school division...even though the team members all live in a big scool district. When the big day arrives, the small school kids are subject to a dunk-fest and high-fiving coach who has their opponent shooting 3-pointers up 25 with less than 5 minutes to play.

You will have to forgive me if I don't take much pitty on a 5 point multiplier being placed on border kids who follow their parents to the school they teach at. 98% of these multipliers won't change a thing. And god-forbid it does. .. we are talking one classification step up.

These nitpicking examples and the initial whining about a few private schools who are now forced to accept a border with the same rules and consequences as every public school they choose to compete against... ARE HILARIOUS when put in perspective of what Leipsic just went through hours ago. Or Arlington...or Grove...or Continental...etc!

This proposal is so much more fair for so many more kids and communities that it is impossible not to support over status quo AS IS. The standard to meet is not 100% fairness and harmony. It just needs to be better than what Leipsic and Troy Christian just had to endure. You notice both a public and a private were completely hosed by today's lack of standards. The OHSAA has a plan to stop that from happening again.

If the by-product of this plan is LCC might have to play DIV II rather than III. Or Temple gets to change nothing and stay in DIV IV... While their basketball boy count goes from 30 to 90...WHO CARES? It is still a less egregious outcome than what VASJ did today.

Perspective folks...

DMAN is THE MAN :bow2: :bow2: :bow2: :bow2:

LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#49 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Member No.: 3337

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostBobby, on 23 March 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Has nothing to do with vouchers. Lima Sr. loses way more students/athletes to the surrounding public schools than to LCC. Spencerville has open enrollment and they actively advertise for students. Might want to see how this affects the Bearcats.

LCC and St John's actively advertises as well!
Mr B

#50 Bigbrownman

All State

• Members
  • 921 posts

Member No.: 335

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

View PostLimaJock, on 23 March 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

DMAN is THE MAN :bow2: :bow2: :bow2: :bow2:

LJ

Word.

Edited by Bigbrownman, 24 March 2013 - 01:37 AM.

#51 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

Here is another one.

Perspective folks...

Please dont mistake me as not liking this. I am all for it. What happened to Liepsic is sickening. I totally agree. As I stated in my first post , Overall I like it. Just hope the OHSAA can/will take into account legitimate situations like the ones I gave into account. But if they dont then, yes it probably wont change things a whole lot.

We're on the same side on that this! But there are legit aituations out here that schools shouldnt be "punished " for.

Sorry! should have been clear on my first post that I like this!

Edited by HH75, 24 March 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#52 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

I get you HH. I just want to make sure we keep the focus on the forest...not the tree.

Michael Jordan

#53 Coach_B

All District

• Members
  • 470 posts

Member No.: 968

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

View Post8-iron, on 23 March 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

How many OHSAA member schools are private? What, if any, states have different divisions for private and public?
17 percent of the OHSAA membership are private schools.
Two states separate public and private completely; Va. and Md.
There are a number of states with hybrid plans.
I wouldn't have wanted to see complete separation between the public and private schools. That would have been a total disaster for more reasons than you might think.
There were enough unhappy schools that doing nothing after two close competitive balance defeats wasn't an option either.
As someone said earlier, as much grief as we all give the OHSAA, they should be given credit for this move. I hope the member schools vote for this plan and see how it works before passing judgement.

#54 Rd2Glory

All District

• Members
  • 495 posts

Member No.: 3050

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Here is another one.

Perspective folks...

You keep criticizing any ideas or questions regarding this proposal. I haven't seen anyone say they think it's a bad idea or that it isn't better than what we have now. Why do we have to ONLY go with the current proposal? Why can't we we have the current proposal AND some ideas to make it better?

#55 polkhigh33

All State

• Members
  • 886 posts

Member No.: 5318

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

So if you are a coach and you have a few kids who aren't going to see playing time, but are going to push you up a division, do you just cut those kids now?
Always a watchful eyes on those Tiffin Calvert Senecas, Marion Local Flyers, Fort Loramie Redskins , New Albany Eagles.

#56 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostCoach_B, on 24 March 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

. As someone said earlier, as much grief as we all give the OHSAA, they should be given credit for this move. I hope the member schools vote for this plan and see how it works before passing judgement.

Coach B,
Count me as one who feels that the OHSAA gets the grief that is well-deserved.....if the truth be known, (and it never will :whistling: ) I would like to venture a guess on how
this "supposed compromise" came to being........

OHSAA......."Wayne Co. what would it take for you to drop this nonsense in asking for separate divisions?"
Wayne Co...."What do you mean, nonsense?.....with the results of the last two votes we think this will pass this time"

OHSAA......."Well then, what would it take?.......Trips to Hawaii for all of you and your wives for a week or so?"
"A fund set up for each of you to use for your own personal pleasure....remember, we are a private entity and can spend money any way we deem necessary"
Wayne Co.."Ohhh.......now we understand a bit better. So you think if this thing goes to a vote and it goes for separation that some of you will lose your jobs?
"If all the privates would secede from the OHSAA along with some of the publics who believe in competition, you wouldn't need 19 Associate Commissioners?"

OHSAA......"Well we're not in the PERS or STERS system anymore so we do have some needs that have to be addressed......We've got a nice-sized slushie fund that we
might be willing to dip into to make this whole thing go away."
Wayne Co.."OK .....now you're talking our kinda language.....First, we need to have a seat at the table so we can also skim some of the cream off the top....Second, there
are 6 of us and our wives who haven't been to Hawaii on someone else's dime in some time....mark us down for about $50,000 for that little excursion....and
third, if the privates continue to win a disproportionate number of championships the next 5 years, you either have to address this in another way.........OR
further monetary compensation will have to be made to our new Wayne Co. PAC."

OHSAA......DEAL!!
Wayne Co..SHAKE!!........."it was a pleasure doing business with ya"

OHSAA......"Likewise, and thank you for everything you've done"
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#57 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

And nothing you just said RM detracts from the fact that the proposed system seems a heck of a lot more fair than status quo. I have no illusions that the process that got us here is littered with shady dealings. I'm more concerned with what happened to Leipsic yesterday and what is being done to address it.

Michael Jordan

#58 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostRd2Glory, on 24 March 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

You keep criticizing any ideas or questions regarding this proposal. I haven't seen anyone say they think it's a bad idea or that it isn't better than what we have now. Why do we have to ONLY go with the current proposal? Why can't we we have the current proposal AND some ideas to make it better?

You want the freedom to criticize the proposal and immunity from adverse commentary about your rebuttals...? I think the proposal and rebuttals deserve critique. I thought that is what we were doing. There will need to be constant reminder that even with the critiques we are talking about an improved system. That somehow can get lost among the constant complaining.

Michael Jordan

#59 Fiery Minx

All League

• Members
  • 33 posts

Member No.: 9425

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

I agree with the proposal, but I feel that if a school can prove an out of district student athlete has attended that same school since Kindergarten (or even K thru 3rd or 4th grade) then they shouldn't be punished by using the multiplier on that student. I think the proposal is great but will need to make concessions for certain circumstances.

#60 Rd2Glory

All District

• Members
  • 495 posts

Member No.: 3050

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostDman, on 24 March 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

You want the freedom to criticize the proposal and immunity from adverse commentary about your rebuttals...? I think the proposal and rebuttals deserve critique. I thought that is what we were doing. There will need to be constant reminder that even with the critiques we are talking about an improved system. That somehow can get lost among the constant complaining.

All I have said is that I think the "district" applied to private schools should be representative of the people who would typically attend that school. Whether that's saying any non-Catholics are "out of the district" or drawing an artificial district for OHSAA purposes or whatever else, it just needs to be representative. That's the issue that we all have with all of this transfer/recruiting stuff right? -That there are kids at schools who normally wouldn't be there except for sports. Well, Shawnee school district is hardly representative of people who would typically attend LCC, so why would that be LCCs "district"?

I have not seen anyone say that they dislike the proposal. In fact, everyone here has said they believe it to be a step in the right direction. However, there are definitely some things about the proposal that need fixed in order for it be applied fairly and equally to every school. Why are you so hellbent on accepting the proposal in its current form? There are glaring weaknesses that can be easily addressed, such as the one noted above, so why not address it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users