• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Member No.: 509

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Dflyers @ Mar 13 2011, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope they do fine!

thumbup1.gif

http://abalive.com/aba-rules/

Have to admit the rules sound a bit interesting.

Edited by ohioguy102474, 13 March 2011 - 07:28 PM.

Go Bath Wildcats and Wildkittens! Go Ohio State!

#42 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

Depending on work schedule, game nights etc, I will be checking them out

#43 Schuermanisgod09

All District

• Members
  • 134 posts

Member No.: 4094

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (TiGgEr3 @ Mar 12 2011, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friends, now is the time.....to welcome the Lima Explosion, Lima's first pro basketball team. Shawnee and OSU standout Jamar Butler will be returning home to play at Elida's Fieldhouse this fall/winter.....but here's the problem, no team mates....help the Lima Explosion fill this problem. If you know a local star who is out of college and wants his shot at pro ball please send him to the tryouts and see if he can make an ABA team.

Calendar of Events(check out www.limaexplosion.com for more, and contact info).

April 2, Elida Fieldhouse - 1-4pm Tryouts

May 7, Elida Fieldhouse - 1-4pm Tryouts

June 11, Elida Fieldhouse - 1-4pm Tryouts

Thanks.

*Figured this was as good of a place to put it as they're looking for former Ohio stars who want to keep playing.

Here's a link to the registration form: http://limaexplosion.com/images/pdf/...ion%20form.pdf

I heard they're looking at getting LeBron to come back to Ohio...

#44 FanMan

All State

• Members
  • 572 posts

Member No.: 5169

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

I heard this week from a reliable source that despite what's been written both here and in the Lima News...that Elida hasn't been contacted about the Explosion playing there. Seems a little strange to be telling people you're playing somewhere without having the plan in place with the people who run the gym.

#45 WeekendWarrior

All District

• Members
  • 386 posts

Member No.: 1612

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:44 PM

I think my biggest concern is for the players. I'm curious to know how much they could possibly make. They keep calling this professional ball and not semi-pro, but even if they're making $10,000-15,000, that's still hardly anything to live on. And like someone else said, why would Butler leave a gig overseas to come play here??? I must admit, at this point, I'm also a little skeptical at the potential success of an operation like this.

#46 Emerson

All State

• Members
  • 721 posts

Member No.: 6986

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

They call it pro-ball because the guy that was responsible for the merger of the ORIGINAL ABA. So he pushes it around like YOU could be the next team to be merged into the NBA. They are not affiliated with the NBA AT ALL. It's just a name to see to young men still hopin...and prayin..

#47 John Bell

• Members
  • 15 posts

Member No.: 8284

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (FanMan @ Mar 13 2011, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard this week from a reliable source that despite what's been written both here and in the Lima News...that Elida hasn't been contacted about the Explosion playing there. Seems a little strange to be telling people you're playing somewhere without having the plan in place with the people who run the gym.

I'm not sure who your reliable source is, but here's the skinny:

1. Elida will not issue a "contract" without specific dates.
2. I have spoken with Mark Miller at Elida and he has confirmed that, in principle, there will not be a problem working together to give the Explosion a home.
3. The school's activities do and will always come first.
4. Elida will have their list of school activities planned for the 2011-2012 season roughly available in June.
5. We will have our schedule available in July which will only be able to be planned after Elida's schedule.

We are working with Elida, they are fully aware of what we are doing - at least some people at the school are aware, but you're right, there is no contract at this point for anything other than hosting our tryouts there.

I hope this answers the questions of your reliable source and anyone else reading.

#48 John Bell

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (Emerson @ Mar 14 2011, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They call it pro-ball because the guy that was responsible for the merger of the ORIGINAL ABA. So he pushes it around like YOU could be the next team to be merged into the NBA. They are not affiliated with the NBA AT ALL. It's just a name to see to young men still hopin...and prayin..

There are some people who promote their team and the ABA in that manner. We are not one of them. It is our goal to create a relationship between the Explosion and both the European leagues and the NBA. Whether we are catching guys on the way up or the way down will depend entirely on our ability to develop those players. With the staff that we are recruiting, it is my firm belief that we'll be able to get guys in who are on their way up and move them on to greater things.

As for why Jamar would decide to play for us, I think it's the opportunity to play at home. I don't know about you, but no matter what I do in life, I'd like my family to be able to be around me while I do it. Playing in Germany was great for Jamar, but being able to play the game he loves at home, despite the salary difference, is just as good.

The ABA has had a bad wrap in the past, in part because it deserved it, in part because of the overall image of teams that are truly run in a semi-pro manner under the smoke screen of being a professional team. We believe that Lima will embrace this team. We believe that we will be competitive day in and day out and that we will run a successful organization. If the ABA gives us problems in this process, then maybe we will move on to other leagues as well, but the intention is to remain in the ABA and help them to create a stable league. Stability and success attracts followers. The key to all of this is to be a leader and prove that what we're doing and how we're doing it is the way to go. In our division, we have 3 teams from Michigan, a team each from Chicago, Indianapolis, Louisville, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, a couple from New York and we may possibly travel to Tennessee - not sure at this point. The benefit to all of this is that not only do we have a lot of close teams, we have the ability to create our own schedule. What some of these other teams have done is to create a schedule with teams that have no chance whatsoever of finishing the season. They hire guys way above their market's abilities to support them and promise the guys the world and they play in a market with 10 other professional sports teams. That's simply a formula for disaster. We have to evaluate each team on our schedule and the cost versus the benefit of adding them to the schedule in the first place.

Here's what we have going for us. We know what we're doing, we're building the team around local talent across the board, we've seen where the Ohio Mixers failed and where they succeeded and ultimately - we give a crap about the organization as a whole. I honestly couldn't care less if I make a single penny on this venture over the course of the next 5 years. All I care about is putting a quality product on the floor and providing a valuable source of entertainment to the community. This is going to be fun. After the first 5 years, if I'm not personally gaining anything on the deal, then that's a lot of time and energy to put into something without getting anything back, but I honestly can't foresee too many circumstances where we would have trouble in that category with the plans that we have in place.

I've seen a lot of positive feedback about this whole project and some negative. At this point, it's mostly skeptical optimism. I can perfectly agree with that assessment. This would be great to come to Lima, but for something like this to succeed, it's a long shot. We knew that coming in, but that's why we didn't start last year when we had the opportunity. We reserved this market in August of 2010. We could have started the season in November with a thrown together team and had a program that was essentially half-assed. That's just not us. We took the time, built a solid foundation and we think you'll be proud of what hits the floor this fall.

Thanks for reading my rambling and I apologize if I've completely wasted several minutes of your life that you'll never get back. Now that I know you guys are talking about us, I'll be checking threads daily to answer any questions you may have.

#49 Old Man P

All District

• Members
  • 433 posts

Member No.: 5221

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (John Bell @ Mar 14 2011, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are some people who promote their team and the ABA in that manner. We are not one of them. It is our goal to create a relationship between the Explosion and both the European leagues and the NBA. Whether we are catching guys on the way up or the way down will depend entirely on our ability to develop those players. With the staff that we are recruiting, it is my firm belief that we'll be able to get guys in who are on their way up and move them on to greater things.

As for why Jamar would decide to play for us, I think it's the opportunity to play at home. I don't know about you, but no matter what I do in life, I'd like my family to be able to be around me while I do it. Playing in Germany was great for Jamar, but being able to play the game he loves at home, despite the salary difference, is just as good.

The ABA has had a bad wrap in the past, in part because it deserved it, in part because of the overall image of teams that are truly run in a semi-pro manner under the smoke screen of being a professional team. We believe that Lima will embrace this team. We believe that we will be competitive day in and day out and that we will run a successful organization. If the ABA gives us problems in this process, then maybe we will move on to other leagues as well, but the intention is to remain in the ABA and help them to create a stable league. Stability and success attracts followers. The key to all of this is to be a leader and prove that what we're doing and how we're doing it is the way to go. In our division, we have 3 teams from Michigan, a team each from Chicago, Indianapolis, Louisville, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, a couple from New York and we may possibly travel to Tennessee - not sure at this point. The benefit to all of this is that not only do we have a lot of close teams, we have the ability to create our own schedule. What some of these other teams have done is to create a schedule with teams that have no chance whatsoever of finishing the season. They hire guys way above their market's abilities to support them and promise the guys the world and they play in a market with 10 other professional sports teams. That's simply a formula for disaster. We have to evaluate each team on our schedule and the cost versus the benefit of adding them to the schedule in the first place.

Here's what we have going for us. We know what we're doing, we're building the team around local talent across the board, we've seen where the Ohio Mixers failed and where they succeeded and ultimately - we give a crap about the organization as a whole. I honestly couldn't care less if I make a single penny on this venture over the course of the next 5 years. All I care about is putting a quality product on the floor and providing a valuable source of entertainment to the community. This is going to be fun. After the first 5 years, if I'm not personally gaining anything on the deal, then that's a lot of time and energy to put into something without getting anything back, but I honestly can't foresee too many circumstances where we would have trouble in that category with the plans that we have in place.

I've seen a lot of positive feedback about this whole project and some negative. At this point, it's mostly skeptical optimism. I can perfectly agree with that assessment. This would be great to come to Lima, but for something like this to succeed, it's a long shot. We knew that coming in, but that's why we didn't start last year when we had the opportunity. We reserved this market in August of 2010. We could have started the season in November with a thrown together team and had a program that was essentially half-assed. That's just not us. We took the time, built a solid foundation and we think you'll be proud of what hits the floor this fall.

Thanks for reading my rambling and I apologize if I've completely wasted several minutes of your life that you'll never get back. Now that I know you guys are talking about us, I'll be checking threads daily to answer any questions you may have.

hifive2.gif pigskinp.gif

As someone once told me. "If you say you can't than you won't. If you say you can than you will." Never give up and keep working hard to get where you need to go, and Play Like a Champion Today!

#50 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

hifive2.gif
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#51 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (John Bell @ Mar 14 2011, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as others have posted.... pigskinp.gif hifive2.gif

Knowing that several of you have also been involved with the Warriors success is also reason to look for this to have a different outcome than from the Mixers past ordeal......And also, kudos for you for coming on here & addressing the understandable skepticism. thumbup1.gif
My best to the Explosion. <---I'm not sure if I'll ever get comfortable saying that... ??? lol

We would like to, you to the 'Corner!! As you can see, we have a tough group here , but, from your posting, I'm sure you can handle us! wink.gif And we hope you have a fabulous time here at the RC!

Happy posting!
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#52 John Bell

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Slice!

I have to say, I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever received flowers for anything! ha ha

I am more than happy to answer questions from anyone, anytime, almost anywhere. I've been poking around the site and it looks like there are a lot of people on here who not only know a lot about sports in the area, but they also care about what happens in those sports. Of course there are also a few people who just like to interject their opinions no matter how appropriate, but the former definitely outweighs the latter.

I just re-read this post - it's not directed at anyone in particular, I just noticed a couple of inappropriate posts on other threads - I'd hate to start off my experience at RC on the wrong foot.

Edited by John Bell, 14 March 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#53 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (John Bell @ Mar 14 2011, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is where we need the Like Button...lol.....good post and Good Luck to you and all asscoiated with the Explosion

#54 Coach_B

All District

• Members
  • 470 posts

Member No.: 968

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

Here's my problem with the whole thing. Charging guys $100 to try out? What's that about? Sounds like a money grab to me.
I remember a few years ago I think there was something being floated as the Ohio Basketball League. Set up tryouts for several cities in the state charged players all over around $100 a pop and the league never played a game.
Good luck with this venture but count me as a skeptic.

#55 John Bell

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (Coach_B @ Mar 15 2011, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my problem with the whole thing. Charging guys $100 to try out? What's that about? Sounds like a money grab to me.
I remember a few years ago I think there was something being floated as the Ohio Basketball League. Set up tryouts for several cities in the state charged players all over around $100 a pop and the league never played a game.

There are a couple of reasons for the fee on the tryouts. First and foremost, we do have expenses involved with having a tryout of this nature. Second, we want players who are serious about wanting to play. The fee is a hurdle. If they are willing to pay a fee, then they are willing to essentially put their money where their mouth is. Finally, you may notice the graduated scale of the fees. We are encouraging pre-registration so that we have a better understanding of exactly how many guys to expect, we are also encouraging signing up through their existing agents by offering an even larger discount. We don't want to make it free to anyone (see the expense portion), but we want the best opportunity to find the best talent who want to play.

#56 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Member No.: 2841

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (Coach_B @ Mar 15 2011, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yet another for the Explosion to prove wrong.
Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

#57 Emerson

All State

• Members
  • 721 posts

Member No.: 6986

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

Did Jamar have to pay ? Or does he get a ride?

#58 TiGgEr3

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Member No.: 2841

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

Jamar isn't part of that tryout as he already signed would be my guess
Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

#59 John Bell

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (Emerson @ Mar 16 2011, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did Jamar have to pay ? Or does he get a ride?

ha ha good question. Of course he is part of the tryout, but more because we're making sure that the guys that are at the tryout mesh well with the way he plays. The way we have the contract worked out, even if he did have to pay to try out, we'd have to pay it. So, for consistency's sake, sure, we can pay Jamar's fee to be at the tryout.

I was just told that I sounded "mean" when I said the put your money where your mouth is comment a couple of posts ago on this thread. For the record, that was meant as a conceptual type of thing. I can be a jerk at times, but in no way was I saying to Coach B to put his money where his mouth is. I hope you saw through that post Coach.

jb

#60 Coach_B

All District

• Members
  • 470 posts

Member No.: 968

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

No offense taken. I've just seen things like this come and go over the years. Most last a year, many don't even complete a full season. That's why I am a skeptic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users