43 replies to this topic

#21 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Defiance College.

Of course, they STILL don't have lights so it's not like it could be considered for a playoff game even with the turf......

#22 displacedrocket

All League

• Members
  • 92 posts

Member No.: 3711

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostDakota Green, on 02 April 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

It takes a lot of money to put in field turf. Approximately 400 thousand dollars is needed and that may be on the low side. As far as O-G raking in all that so called money from the various tournament runs, a lot of that money is used to fund the sports that do not bring in a lot of fans like baseball, track, wrestling, tennis, golf, etc. So despite these runs I doubt if the athletic department has that much money left over to install field turf at Titan Stadium.

The quote for Sidney's field turf was $589,000. Not sure where that is in the range of costs of artificial turf though.

#23 displacedrocket

All League

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

(From the Sidney Daily News)

SMS turf project passes halfway point

By Ken Barhorst

and Dave Ross

This season marks the 10th season of football at Sidney Memorial Stadium, and likely the final campaign on natural grass. The drive to install artificial turf is now past the halfway mark in terms of money raised for the project. The total cost of the project is $600,000, and upon completion, will likely lead to the stadium being a preferred venue for high school football playoff games.

#24 displacedrocket

All League

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

By Ken Barhorst

and Dave Ross

This season marks the 10th season of football at Sidney Memorial Stadium, and likely the final campaign on natural grass. The drive to install artificial turf is now past the halfway mark in terms of money raised for the project. The total cost of the project is $600,000, and upon completion, will likely lead to the stadium being a preferred venue for high school football playoff games.

A public update on the efforts to install artificial turf at the stadium is expected by late September. The goal is a springtime completion in time for 2014 Sidney High School graduation.

#25 displacedrocket

All League

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

View Postdisplacedrocket, on 30 August 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

By Ken Barhorst

and Dave Ross

A public update on the efforts to install artificial turf at the stadium is expected by late September. The goal is a springtime completion in time for 2014 Sidney High School graduation.

They were hoping to have it in for the 2013 graduation though, so who knows.

#26 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I can attest to Sidney's stadium. Very nice stadium and venue for sporting events. About the only downside is traffic tends to bottleneck to the entrance/exit a bit for parking, but that's just nitpicking.

#27 displacedrocket

All League

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postjeffcat-bucki, on 30 August 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

I can attest to Sidney's stadium. Very nice stadium and venue for sporting events. About the only downside is traffic tends to bottleneck to the entrance/exit a bit for parking, but that's just nitpicking.

Jeff having watched many games at Sidney's stadium I totally agree, but I'll admit I am biased. ;-) Nothing against Wapak, but with the addition of field turf Sidney makes it along with Piqua the two premium playoff locations in west central Ohio. imo

Edited by displacedrocket, 30 August 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#28 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Ohio Northern is about 2 weeks from completing turf installation. Also adding lights this summer/fall

#29 blitzkreig

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Member No.: 9191

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostColt45, on 02 April 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Elida and UNOH I have heard are working together on it, because UNOH needs football to stay in their conference by 2015 or 16 I believe.

#30 blitzkreig

All League

• Members
  • 30 posts

Member No.: 9191

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

When you say elida and UNOH do you mean the college is looking for a place to hold football games assuming they add football to stay in their conference?

#31 brunowball

All State

• Members
  • 815 posts

Member No.: 1297

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

View Postblitzkreig, on 02 September 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

When you say elida and UNOH do you mean the college is looking for a place to hold football games assuming they add football to stay in their conference?

I looked at the WHAC conference site and only 2 of the 12 teams even have football. So I'm not sure why they would need it unless they are forcing every team to add football. It's not even recognized as a sport in the conference right now.

#32 oberhaus

Hall of Fame

• Contributing Member
  • 2,788 posts

Member No.: 3612

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

It would be great if Defiance or Napoleon could somehow get the money to add turf. It would really make playoffs a lot easier in the NW corner. How about Campbell's Field at Buckenmeyer Stadium. Or Hornish Field at Fred Brown Stadium.
Follow me for scores and other sports news. www.twitter.com/kevinoberhaus

#33 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

View Postbrunowball, on 02 September 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

I looked at the WHAC conference site and only 2 of the 12 teams even have football. So I'm not sure why they would need it unless they are forcing every team to add football. It's not even recognized as a sport in the conference right now.

I don't think UNOH could field a competent football team, even if they had Cowboys Stadium. It's mostly grease junkies and HS dropouts in Civics that act like they are driving Ferraris. They don't have time to do anything productive in life. :bag:

#34 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

View Postdisplacedrocket, on 30 August 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Jeff having watched many games at Sidney's stadium I totally agree, but I'll admit I am biased. ;-) Nothing against Wapak, but with the addition of field turf Sidney makes it along with Piqua the two premium playoff locations in west central Ohio. imo

I like Troy's facility too, but I think that's more because Troy is one of the nicest small towns in that west central Ohio area, and there is always something to see and do before and after the game. You get a nostalgic feeling too.

#35 brunowball

All State

• Members
  • 815 posts

Member No.: 1297

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

View Postjeffcat-bucki, on 03 September 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

I don't think UNOH could field a competent football team, even if they had Cowboys Stadium. It's mostly grease junkies and HS dropouts in Civics that act like they are driving Ferraris. They don't have time to do anything productive in life. :bag:

Being able to offer scholarships has a big advantage over other local small colleges that can't. It has worked well for their baseball, volleyball and soccer teams as they have players from around the globe.

#36 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

View Postdhsdawg06, on 02 April 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

Defiance College. Of course, they STILL don't have lights so it's not like it could be considered for a playoff game even with the turf......

Unless its for a game during the daytime. Been to a few of those.

#37 Double Dawg

All District

• Members
  • 346 posts

Member No.: 2985

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

View Postblitzkreig, on 02 September 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

It will never happen at Elida, too many employees against field turf. I would like to see it though.

Edited by Double Dawg, 03 September 2013 - 08:38 PM.

Whatever people remember of me, it will only be a fraction of the TRUTH.

#38 Colt45

All State

• Validating
  • 554 posts

Member No.: 9167

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

Turf would be nice but the do a great job of getting the field ready. I think one of the best if not the best natural grass fields around.

#39 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

View Postbrunowball, on 03 September 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Being able to offer scholarships has a big advantage over other local small colleges that can't. It has worked well for their baseball, volleyball and soccer teams as they have players from around the globe.

Almost any college in the USA, has students and athletes from "around the globe". Following them on that notion, is just a part of business and marketing.

#40 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

View PostDouble Dawg, on 03 September 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

It will never happen at Elida, too many employees against field turf. I would like to see it though.

Employees? Why would they be against it?...loss of jobs maintaining it, since turf is easier to maintain? All you do is comb it twice a year and then add recycled rubber pellets every couple years or when necessary.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users