Reds get a starter- But at what price

3 replies to this topic

#1 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

Reds just aquired Right handed 24 year old startering pitcher Mat Latos from San Diego for Edison Volquez, Yonder Alonzo, Right handed pitching prospect Brad Boxberger, and highly requarded catching prospect Yasmani Grandal.

"Holy cupboard emptying trade Batman!"

#2 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

Alonso had no where to play with Votto at 1st, and he's terrible everywhere else. They're deep at catcher. Volquez sucks.

Kind of wish they would have held out for a little bit better pitcher, but this is going to end up being a good trade for them.

#3 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:10 AM

I love Yonder though!!!!!!!!!! haha should work out in the end
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#4 Duh Huh Dull Sucks

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Member No.: 3689

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

Votto has essentially laid his hand on the table by only signing a contract to get him through the end of his arbitration eligibility. After that, he is a FA and will leave. They needed to keep Yonder in order to have a player in waiting (ala Ryan Howard waiting it out with the Phillies). Grandal wasn't going to be coming up soon with Mesaroco in the way (although I am not sold on him in the slightest). Boxberger was probably never going to become anything more than a middle reliever. Voquez will likely "find it back" in the pitcher friendly Petco Park in San Diego.

I think trading Alonso was the biggest ransom paid. The rest are players that simply would have not been here for a couple more seasons (or would have continued the road between Cincy and Louisville in terms of Volquez).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users