2016-17 Boys hoops opinions

35 replies to this topic

#1 bleacherman

All District

• Members
  • 294 posts

Member No.: 4536

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:46 PM

The ball is hitting the hardwood again. Whats everyones opinions concerning the area teams. Who will be strong, who might struggle. Thanks in advance for everyones opinions. No opinions are wrong.

#2 veteranlefty

All District

• Members
  • 214 posts

Member No.: 9179

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

BVC....I would expect VB and LB to be at the top of the league as both return key pieces. VB may be deeper if healthy. McComb lost a lot as 4 or 5 starters gone from last year's regional team. Arlington lost some too but may be competitive if big guy plays (some d1 football guys skip hoops to lift and get stronger). HL, PG and CR should all be stronger this year too.

N10....Carey should be improved with a lot of kids back. Upper probably still the favorite with Colonel Crawford near the top too.

Ayersville should be another NW Ohio team to beat in D4

Old Fort the pick in SBC River Division with all 5 starters back (2 all district guards)....Sandusky St Mary right there too....NR and Calvert lost a lot of seniors.

#3 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:38 PM

Looking for a good year for Continental. We could contend for the league. Crestview is loaded in the NWC.

#4 Ron Mexico

All District

• Members
  • 115 posts

Member No.: 2593

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:23 PM

Any chance Arcadia makes some noise in the BVC this year?

#5 rallyinthe9th

All State

• Members
  • 629 posts

Member No.: 706

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:44 AM

It is going to be an interesting year. Ayersville is going to be strong, but they will have a late start. I look for them to struggle a bit early and be a force as the season goes on. I think Wauseon and Archbold will be at the top of the NWOAL with Swanton right there too. I know Swanton lost 2 good players and I am not positive what is behind them. Archbold has won a piece of the title just about every year for as long as I can remember.

Any word on LCC reloading? I heard they lost a ton of talent, but they were head a shoulders above every D3 team in NW ohio last season. Liberty Benton has a really good guard going to Findlay and Ottawa Hills has the best 2 or 3 players back from their regional team. I would guess Ottawa Glandorf (if they are still d3) could also be in the mix and maybe Genoa. I heard they have a couple of really nice young players.

I saw the comment on Continental and have heard they should be near the top of the PCL. I have heard Kalida struggled a bit in one of their scrimmages from a ref. I would guess Crestview is the early favorite to go to state. Lincolnview lost a ton of the team last season and I never saw Crestview play, but heard they have some really high level talent.

Should be an interesting year in D3 and D4.

#6 Outspoken

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Member No.: 243

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:36 PM

Spencerville, Archbold, and Wayne Trace in D3. Don't count Spencerville out in the NWC.....might be the favorite to win it.

Continental, Crestview, Ayersville, Miller City, and Perry in D4 and Antwerp as a dark horse.

Not sure about MAC.....would think Versailles and Marion Local possibly? Not sure about WBL and D2 either although Napoleon should be very good.

#7 veteranlefty

All District

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:04 AM

Is Miller City team to beat in PCL this year? I saw them scrimmage New Riegel last week and they looked good but did not strike me as a great team. MC has one nice post player and a couple shooters but did not seem to have elite quickness or ball handling. Not sure what other PCL teams have this year either.

#8 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:52 PM

The only thing I can guarantee in the PCL this year is that the teams have a 1 in 8 chance of winning it. This could be the most even teams in the league in a long time. If I were to guess I'm going: Continental, Kalida, Leipsic, Miller City, Grove, Ottoville, Jennings, Pandora.

That order could be reversed just as easily though.

#9 Louisville Slugger

All District

• Members
  • 215 posts

Member No.: 908

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:28 PM

Very interesting year in the PCL as there will be 4 New Coaches. How fast these teams adjust to the new style of play these coaches implement will play a major role on who wins the PCL!!!!!

#10 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostLouisville Slugger, on 20 November 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

Very interesting year in the PCL as there will be 4 New Coaches. How fast these teams adjust to the new style of play these coaches implement will play a major role on who wins the PCL!!!!!

Who are the four schools, except for Kalida (I guess other 3 schools)?

#11 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

View Postvon, on 21 November 2016 - 04:11 PM, said:

Who are the four schools, except for Kalida (I guess other 3 schools)?

Grove- Chirs Sautter takes over for Kalida coach Ryan Stechschulte

Leipsic- Chris Kuhlman takes over for Scott Maag

Pandora- Gilboa Joe Braidic takes over for Logan Smith, will be Braidic's 3rd time around as HC at PG

#12 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:03 PM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 21 November 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

Grove- Chirs Sautter takes over for Kalida coach Ryan Stechschulte

Leipsic- Chris Kuhlman takes over for Scott Maag

Pandora- Gilboa Joe Braidic takes over for Logan Smith, will be Braidic's 3rd time around as HC at PG

Thank you, I did know Braidic came back.

#13 Louisville Slugger

All District

• Members
  • 215 posts

Member No.: 908

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

Stechschulte was not at Grove last year. He took a year off. Eric Maag was at Grove, now he is an assistant at Kalida

#14 erniefurgler

All District

• Members
  • 195 posts

Member No.: 3470

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

Crestview will be the team to beat in D4. D3, will it be the usual suspects in OG, LCC, & LB?? What did S Henry return? Wayne Trace still has the Linder kid, not sure about his supporting cast. Paul Wayne is now D3's problem after taking over at Tinora. His track record has proven he doesn't need a ton of talent to be a thorn in your side.

PCL will be wide open again...throw all the names in a hat, if you didn't pull out FJ or Oville, you have a chance to win it. MC, Continental & PG should be at the top but none will wow you. Winner will have at least one loss in the league. MC has an unfavorable schedule this year, having to travel to PG, Cont, Kalida & CG for league games.

#15 tunnelvision

All State

• Members
  • 580 posts

Member No.: 9487

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:33 AM

Lima Perry is absolutely loaded, don't count them out. They have 4 returning starters from a 22-4 regional team. They may go undefeated this year with their schedule.

#16 veteranlefty

All District

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

Saw PG scrimmage last night v. Gibsonburg and NR. PG looked pretty good, moving the ball on offense and sharing the ball well. They looked very well coached and should be over .500 this year as the juniors have a lot of varsity experience from last two years. They will not be the easy win they have been the last couple years in the BVC and PCL.

#17 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:01 AM

Versailles will defend their MAC title returning 4 starters. The Ahrens twins are just juniors. Justin is committed to tOSU.

Fort Recovery returns 3 starters and most of their bench from last year. The only team to beat Versailles last year could be tough again.

Marion will be tall again.

#18 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

View Postfortfan, on 30 November 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

Versailles will defend their MAC title returning 4 starters. The Ahrens twins are just juniors. Justin is committed to tOSU.

Fort Recovery returns 3 starters and most of their bench from last year. The only team to beat Versailles last year could be tough again.

Marion will be tall again.

Ottoville opens with a win over Lima Temple Christian 74-65 Many more to come.........

#19 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

Rockets looking good so far.................it's nice to see Braidic back at the helm......maybe now the BOE can just sit back and chill.............zooom
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#20 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:58 PM

View Postvon, on 02 December 2016 - 11:43 PM, said:

Ottoville opens with a win over Lima Temple Christian 74-65 Many more to come.........

Big Green lose tonight at the Hive: Cory Rawson 57 Ottoville 55 many more to come.......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users