- - - - -

Defiance: Beer, cigarettes and diapers not on "emergency list"..... SAY WHAT?!?!?!

4 replies to this topic

#1 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

BEER, CIGARETTES AND DIAPERS NOT ON EMERGENCY LIST

"A handful of people in Defiance County called the sheriff's office Sunday and Monday, wondering if deputies could make a beer run for them, according to Sheriff Dave Westrick."

This has made me laugh for days. :D

Got this in my inbox, but, whatever paper it's from, I don't have a paid subscription to.....lf you do have access to it, please post, 'cause I'd love to read the rest of the article. HILARIOUS!

This also reminded me of our winter storm TV ticker alerts here in Lima area (WLIO).....Saw Paddy Mac's was closed, along with all the schools, businesses, childcare, doctor's offices, etc.....
You can't make this stuff up!
Lmao
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#2 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

The beer and cigarettes thing is a staple for "indoors" when winter storms hit around here.......I couldn't access the story either so we'll wait "to hear the rest of the story".........
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#3 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

The health conscious guy in me thinks-this would be a good time to quit smoking.

Then I think about being cooped up in a house with a bunch of poopy pants kids….and the movie Airplane comes to mind.

#4 Smooth Pancakes

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Member No.: 3425

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

Here you go! It's from the Crescent-News in Defiance.

BEER, CIGARETTES AND DIAPERS NOT ON EMERGENCY LIST

By JENNY DERRINGER @cnjderringer derringer@crescent-news.com Published: January 8, 2014 9:00AM

While meteorologists forecasted the snowstorm and bitter wind chills earlier this week, many people took the opportunity to stock up on the immediate necessities of life -- eggs, bread, milk, pizza, etc.

Empty grocery store shelves and long checkout lines were a testament to that fact in area businesses. But some people obviously missed out on a few "necessary" items including beer, cigarettes and diapers.

Because of that, a handful of people in Defiance County called the sheriff's office Sunday and Monday, wondering if deputies could make a beer run for them, according to Sheriff Dave Westrick.

Obviously the sheriff's office declined that request though others called to see about having cigarettes and diapers delivered.

Concerning more serious issues, deputies did help out with about a dozen people in the county who requested a ride to much-needed dialysis, noted Westrick.

"A lot of people are on dialysis. That's the most pressing thing," he explained. "They need to know we'll get them to where they need to be." For those people who couldn't make it out on their own for dialysis, the deputies stepped up and helped out in that life-saving service.

"We know it could be much worse," said the sheriff. "We can't do everything for everybody, but we try to do things that are urgent."

Defiance County remains on a level 3 snow emergency, which means all roadways are closed to non-emergency personnel. No one should be driving during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel or a personal emergency exists. All employees should contact their employers to see if they should report to work. Those traveling on the roads may subject themselves to arrest.

Though the sheriff's office hasn't made any arrests, people have come to the realization that the roadways are treacherous.

"People are adhering to what we're suggesting," said Westrick. While roads in the city are plowed but ice-covered, roads out in the county are subject to blowing and drifting snow, particularly the north-south roadways.
"If your employer expects you at work, you work it out with them. I don't tell factories to close," said Westrick.
"The real heroes are the snow plow drivers," he stressed. "That's one of the toughest jobs."

Those with the Defiance County Highway Department have been running 12-hour shifts since the storm started -- 10 on the first shift and three at night, explained plow driver Kyle Brown.

With 15 years of experience, Brown noted that plow drivers really have to pay attention.

On a Tuesday morning ride-along, this reporter got to experience plowing firsthand along Ayersville-Pleasant Bend Road. By 10 a.m., Brown was plowing the roadway for the second time that morning, busting up two-foot drifts that at times reduced visibility completely as snow blew back onto the windshield of the truck.

The temperature outside was minus 6 with 18 mph winds, but the cab of the plow was nice and warm.

Edited by Smooth Pancakes, 14 January 2014 - 08:06 PM.

"Look at us. We drive more than a thousand miles and spend tons of money just to get our ass kicked by bad weather, and we go home happier the worse we get it. That's awesome."

#5 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:19 AM

Thanks, hotcakes!! Much appreciated!
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users