2010 Detroit Tigers

64 replies to this topic

#61 buckeyefan13

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Member No.: 6372

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

I'm really surprised by how negative Tigers fans are about this team's chances. Only 7 games out with 2 months left in the season. I think the Tigs were 7 games back with 2 weeks in 1987 when they came back. Have faith people!!

#62 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (buckeyefan13 @ Aug 4 2010, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm really surprised by how negative Tigers fans are about this team's chances. Only 7 games out with 2 months left in the season. I think the Tigs were 7 games back with 2 weeks in 1987 when they came back. Have faith people!!

That team wasn't without 4 of it's best players for key stretches of the season though. And I'm pretty sure they didn't have a 7-9 normal everyday lineup that couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag either.

9 games out now, 3 games under .500. I just want to see them get back to .500 and go from there. I hope they can make a run, but with Ordonez likely done and Boesch struggling the 2nd half, I just don't see how that's gonna happen.

#63 roarintiger1

All State

• Members
  • 834 posts

Member No.: 769

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

Also, in 1987 they made a valuable trade at the deadline for Doyle Alexander, who was one of the main reasons they came on strong at the end of the season. That sort of trade did not take place this year.
The Tiger management will make a splash this off season. They have something like 66 million dollars coming off their books with ending contracts. I'm thinking this team will look very different next year.

#64 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:12 AM

The Tigers have shown signs of life lately, even managing to win a game here and there.

Great win tonight. If they were closer to the leaders that could be the type of win to set off a run to the postseason. But they're just too far out of it now.

#65 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

Just remembered this thread while watching the game on ESPN today. Looking back on last year, I have a lot of mixed feelings. On one hand if everyone had stayed healthy all year and produced the way they were, that could have been an 85-90 win team that would have been in contention all year.

But with all the questions before and during the season, and then all of the injuries, to end up 81-81 was probably a good season. Hell I predicted 82-80 before the season started, so I guess I'll take a break even season.

What we learned- if Verlander can ever learn to pitch in April, he could win multiple Cy Youngs. Austin Jackson is the real deal. Scott Sizemore may be in the future, but so far he's shown us nothing to get excited about. Will Rhymes could be the 2nd baseman of the future. Johnny Damon is a class act, sorry to see him not brought back. Ryan Raburn is an amazing 2nd half player. First half, not so much. Brennan Boesch has the talent to be an All-Star. But he's got to adjust and stop swinging at everything. That was his downfall. Rick Porcello has the tools, he just needs to learn to use them. Armando Galaragga is a major class act. Also sorry to see him go, although we're in a better place pitching wise now. And finally, Verlander-Scherzer 1-2 is dynamite. Can't wait to watch that combo for years to come.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users