Flounder And Rocketman's Girls High School Rankings... January 29

51 replies to this topic

#21 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thanks mysterio........much appreciated!!!!!!!!

#22 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Just curious......how does the no.2 team in D4 get beat by almost 30 points!!!!!!!!

#23 DonnyDonuts

All District

• Members
  • 131 posts

Member No.: 9180

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

We were overrated as you have said all along.
And we played a team that was better than us.
As I have known all along the AP poll is nothing to be taken seriously but gives everyone somethig to talk about. But some on here use it when it benifits them, when saying "we are going into the game with the under dog mentality because they are the number 2 and 4 team in the state" You can't have it both ways saying it is wrong but using it for motivation.

#24 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

View Postflounder, on 01 February 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Just curious......how does the no.2 team in D4 get beat by almost 30 points!!!!!!!!

Because the AP Poll voters don't know squat about certain teams and just see a team thats undefeated and think wow they must be good so they rank them high. It's pretty bad when most people look at a matchup and see #10 Arlington vs #2 New Riegel and are calling this game a blowout in favor of the #10 team. By all means I don't mean any disrespect to New Riegel and Arcadia. I know I have been harsh on both of them teams but you can thank the AP Polls for that. And the worst part about it, when next weeks polls come out they will probably drop New Riegel to maybe 4 or 5 and keep Arcadia at 6. I just can't buy into that. I no longer pay attention to the AP Polls. Either they need to stop with the rankings or hire flounder and rocketman to do this because theirs is pretty much right on.

Edited by Mysterio, 01 February 2012 - 01:48 PM.

No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#25 DonnyDonuts

All District

• Members
  • 131 posts

Member No.: 9180

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Mysterio

For someone who doesn't pay attention to the polls and thinks they are total garbage you sure talk about them an awefull lot and and get very upset over them.

And I do think you have had some misplaced "harshness" directed at two teams that had nothing to do with their rankings other than playing the schedule they were given and competing within that schedule at a high level (untill this week). Like it or not New Riegel has gained a reputation over the last 20 years as being a top notch program with what I will guess is one of the best records in the area and also made a couple of trips to state. This reputation was hard earned and much of the ranking comes off that when coaches who don't see all games make their list out while only looking at records. While I once again agree they are not important and more often wrong than right I just have a hard time understanding your almost personal attacks against two local programs.

Good luck to you and your Lady Arlington Red Devils !!!!

#26 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostDonnyDonuts, on 01 February 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Mysterio

For someone who doesn't pay attention to the polls and thinks they are total garbage you sure talk about them an awefull lot and and get very upset over them.

And I do think you have had some misplaced "harshness" directed at two teams that had nothing to do with their rankings other than playing the schedule they were given and competing within that schedule at a high level (untill this week). Like it or not New Riegel has gained a reputation over the last 20 years as being a top notch program with what I will guess is one of the best records in the area and also made a couple of trips to state. This reputation was hard earned and much of the ranking comes off that when coaches who don't see all games make their list out while only looking at records. While I once again agree they are not important and more often wrong than right I just have a hard time understanding your almost personal attacks against two local programs.

Good luck to you and your Lady Arlington Red Devils !!!!

You are absolutely correct Donny. I may have not been clear enough, but I wasn't putting the blame on New Riegel or Arcadia. I just simply put the blame on the AP Poll voters. You can't ever blame a team like New Riegel because they play who is on their schedule. You are right on. And I am for one a believer in that. But once you do play a good team, you better be prepared for what may come at you. If New Riegel kept this game close within 10 points, we would be having a different conversation. So now "#2" team in Division 4 gets blown out at home you better be prepared for some criticism. It's not New Riegels fault, I know, they didn't ask to be ranked #2. I'm just saying and most people agree, that the AP Polls get it wrong a lot and set up for arguments and discussions like this. Good luck to both teams though the rest of the way. Sometimes you just have that bad loss and you learn to rebound from it and you become a better team.

By the way they are not my Red Devils :no:

Edited by Mysterio, 01 February 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#27 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostMysterio, on 01 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

You are absolutely correct Donny. I may have not been clear enough, but I wasn't putting the blame on New Riegel or Arcadia. I just simply put the blame on the AP Poll voters. You can't ever blame a team like New Riegel because they play who is on their schedule. You are right on. And I am for one a believer in that. But once you do play a good team, you better be prepared for what may come at you. If New Riegel kept this game close within 10 points, we would be having a different conversation. So now "#2" team in Division 4 gets blown out at home you better be prepared for some criticism. It's not New Riegels fault, I know, they didn't ask to be ranked #2. I'm just saying and most people agree, that the AP Polls get it wrong a lot and set up for arguments and discussions like this. Good luck to both teams though the rest of the way. Sometimes you just have that bad loss and you learn to rebound from it and you become a better team.

By the way they are not my Red Devils :no:

The polls are just opinions of a group of people who can't possibly see everyteam in the state. They are probably covering girls high school basketball part time along with covering boys basketball, wrestling, swimming etc. See what I mean? Anyway, the polls are nice because it can give some recognition to schools having great seasons, and although Arcadia and New Riegle has recently dropped a game, they are still having great seasons and are some of the better teams in the area. Arlington unfortunately dropped a game early to LB and actually flew under the radar of the pollsters for some of the early part of the season. That an Arlington has not had decades of basketball success like Arcadia and New Riegel has. Polls obviously reward long time coaches who have been in programs with lots of success. Nice thing is, and we've said this before, is the games are won and lost on the court, not in the polls.

#28 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostCommon Sense, on 01 February 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

The polls are just opinions of a group of people who can't possibly see everyteam in the state. They are probably covering girls high school basketball part time along with covering boys basketball, wrestling, swimming etc. See what I mean? Anyway, the polls are nice because it can give some recognition to schools having great seasons, and although Arcadia and New Riegle has recently dropped a game, they are still having great seasons and are some of the better teams in the area. Arlington unfortunately dropped a game early to LB and actually flew under the radar of the pollsters for some of the early part of the season. That an Arlington has not had decades of basketball success like Arcadia and New Riegel has. Polls obviously reward long time coaches who have been in programs with lots of success. Nice thing is, and we've said this before, is the games are won and lost on the court, not in the polls.

Oh I know which is all true. The only polls that do matter are the ones posted on this topic. :punk:

#29 Grace

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Member No.: 1355

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Yes, we all worship the polls by Rocket & Floundest!! :bow2: I bow down!!

#30 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Member No.: 9154

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostGrace, on 01 February 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

Yes, we all worship the polls by Rocket & Floundest!! :bow2: I bow down!!

They are pretty damn good but they may have missed one this year. Dare I say, Miiiiiidpaaaaark!!!!! :wallbash:

#31 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostSnip, on 01 February 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

They are pretty damn good but they may have missed one this year. Dare I say, Miiiiiidpaaaaark!!!!! :wallbash:
:lol:
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#32 PostPlayer

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Member No.: 5317

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

My final take:

New Reigel - a good young team that will be even better in next few years. My guess is they are a sectional winner.
Arcadia - Probably a better team than NR at this point, particularly if they have Glick. Arcadia will be the next great team from the BVC IMO. Good young talent, well coached - now they just need some more depth of which may be coming from the jr high ranks. Young Glick girl is pretty good and only a freshman. Palmer is the real deal and the 3rd best player in the BVC which is saying something.

Sorry Donny if I played the "underdog" card, but why wouldn't we? We were at your house, you were ranked very high, undefeated and a legacy program as you stated. I believe this is the third year in a row we have beaten NR when they were either undefeated or 1 or 2 losses...and everytime has been by 29pts or more...food for thought.

As for Arlington - long road to go but this team is playing as well as anyone right now. The defense has improved, and certainly we are more battle tested this year. Time will tell...but it certainly has been a great ride the past 2-3 years. Regardless of outcome, lots to be proud of.

It's almost tourney time....so let the fun begin and in the meantime....GO REDSKINS against LB! :D
Arlington Red Devils
2012 Girls Basketball State Champs
2012 Boys Basketball State Semi-Finalist

#33 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostSnip, on 01 February 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Snippy.......

Midpark still has not proven a thing.......other than the AP had them ranked before us.......I sure hope they live up to the hype!!!!!!

#34 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

View Postslice slice baby, on 01 February 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

:lol:

Slicer......

I hope that lol face means you are in full approval of Rocketman and Flounder's polls!!!!!!!!!!!

#35 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Both Arcadia and New Riegel's fate was because the AP had no clue........plain and simple....if the AP would have them ranked in accordance to where they should have been ranked, then conversations about them being overated would not have even entered the equation!!!!!!

And talk about not doing any research......all the writers had to do was take a gander at these 2 teams schedule......and losing credibility........where is Ricky at when you need him!!!!!!

#36 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

View Postflounder, on 01 February 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Snippy.......

Midpark still has not proven a thing.......other than the AP had them ranked before us.......I sure hope they live up to the hype!!!!!!

I couldn't resist. Ricky cracks me up. :popcorn:

#37 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

View Postflounder, on 01 February 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

Slicer......

I hope that lol face means you are in full approval of Rocketman and Flounder's polls!!!!!!!!!!!

View PostSnip, on 01 February 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

I couldn't resist. Ricky cracks me up. :popcorn:

Yes...I TOTALLY picked up on Lickety Snips sarcasm and loved it!!

(you're obviously in need of even more catchup sleep!! :D) ;)
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#38 Snip

All District

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Arcadia might drop another one tonight. Even if Glick plays. Should be a good game.

#39 Guest_Landess_*

• Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

Midpark has proven they can beat one of the best D1 teams in ohio by double digits.

#40 MightyOaksFan

All District

• Members
  • 127 posts

Member No.: 4174

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Big game in southeastern Ohio on Saturday at Huntington Prep shootout

16-1 Oak Hill vs. 18-0 Fairland

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users