Shane Cavinee Resigns Head Coaching at Hardin Northern

99 replies to this topic

#21 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Member No.: 1295

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

If they decide to end it...so be it.... I would rather see it ended than turn into Vanlue. With the whole..."play for pride" BS!

#22 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

View Postbearclawz, on 14 January 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

HN to hold a town meeting wendsday at 7pm to discuss future of football program. Didnt take long for the mighty bears to come crumbling down.

Guess this is what happens when the "have fun" parents get their way. Destroyed a good thing. Hope it can be rebuilt to some semblence of what it was. If not I agree with HH75. Put it out of its misery, unlike Vanlue.

#23 ADog

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Member No.: 614

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostHH75, on 14 January 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

If they decide to end it...so be it.... I would rather see it ended than turn into Vanlue. With the whole..."play for pride" BS!

View Postbob22, on 14 January 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

Guess this is what happens when the "have fun" parents get their way. Destroyed a good thing. Hope it can be rebuilt to some semblence of what it was. If not I agree with HH75. Put it out of its misery, unlike Vanlue.

Yea I see your points and guess I would agree..but hate to see it anyway....HN was "the program" over other surrounding schools for quite a few years...

#24 jeffcat-bucki

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 5,675 posts

Member No.: 4104

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

I would be surprised if they ended it. Perhaps they could consider the NWCC, but I don't think they should end the football program. I think a lot of those students would just up and go elsewhere to play football if that was the case and HN needs all the students they can get.

#25 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Agree bob.... at the high school level its not the coaches job to make practice and games fun. That's for the kids to do. Practice its self is work, its where you as a player and you as a team work to make yourselves better. Once the "everything should be fun" crowd oversteps you and might as well turn in the helmets and pads. Practice shouldn't be "fun". The "inside" jokes, nicknames, and stupid stuff that just happens at and during practice is what is "fun". Games are fun when you win or are competitive in it and come up short, yeah at the time, losing inhales, but after the season the overall experiences will be remembered and laughed about. Having a week of "fun" practice and getting drilled by 50 is not what I would call fun. If that's what some people want then so be it but I wouldn't want you on my team!

#26 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Jeffcat. Don't think the bears would vote to double their travel expenses by joining the NWCC. And the BVC doesn't hold private meetings to get together to vote teams out so......

I Personally would just rather see the program end or be taken to a JV level for a few years. If it gets stronger later on then adjust accordingly...

This is just the start of the change we are going to be seeing in every school. Just another reason the State should have demanded mass consolidations before building all these schools.

#27 Hound Dog

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Member No.: 700

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostHH75, on 15 January 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

Jeffcat. Don't think the bears would vote to double their travel expenses by joining the NWCC. And the BVC doesn't hold private meetings to get together to vote teams out so......

Why the cheapshot........the meetings were not done in private. Maybe you should think before you speak.
2011-2012 Las Falcon's Basketball Pick-Em Champion!

#28 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

A big school/small school divisional split looking more attractive? A couple other schools have drastically shrinking enrollments and classes in which the kids dont want to do squat. HN and Vanlue wont be the last to go thru this.

View PostHound Dog, on 15 January 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Why the cheapshot........the meetings were not done in private. Maybe you should think before you speak.

So when are league meetings? never seen a notice for one in the courier.

#29 Hound Dog

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

View Postbob22, on 15 January 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

So when are league meetings? never seen a notice for one in the courier.

They don't have to post them in the paper because the don't have to follow the same rules as School Boards do....they have no powers other than the powers granted to them by the league constitution. The reps are the Principals and AD's of the member schools.

Now if the members were voted on there would HAVE to be public meetings. This is no different than Superintendant Associations..etc.

#30 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Why? .... Because I can!

You call it a cheap shot.... I call it my opinion! If you have a problem with it, then its your problem to have not mine!

If you don't think there were some "back room" phone calls made in that deal, then I have some ocean front property to sell to ya. Or did all the AD's and Principals just happen to all have the very same idea on the very same night?

#31 citgogainfan

All District

• Members
  • 109 posts

Member No.: 5358

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Still trying to figure out where the cheap shot is located????????

#32 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

As for HN.... If.....If.... they would happen to try to go the jv only route that would be HN thinking of the other nine schools in the league and not being selfish (ie Vanlue, St wendlin) giving all others a chance to fill their HN week now, rather than calling on a Monday to say we don't have enough to play friday. And now that school has no chance to fill that game on Friday! So now even with a down program, the Bears would be showing true leadership! Others should be taking notes!

#33 Hound Dog

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostHH75, on 15 January 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

If you don't think there were some "back room" phone calls made in that deal, then I have some ocean front property to sell to ya. Or did all the AD's and Principals just happen to all have the very same idea on the very same night?

The decision wasn't made at 1 meeting. The discussion was going on for at least 2 or 3 months before it was leaked to the press.

So...if you want to believe "back room" deals were made...go ahead. :pav:

#34 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

True about the two or three months. I won't disagree. BUT in my opinion no one brings up that topic on their own. If they do and no one else agrees then they look like the whiny sore loser. There is strength in numbers and no one would have brought it up with out first talking to others in PRIVATE!!

First you find out if someone is thinking the sameyhing you are and then build on it with others, hence private meetings! Must have struck a nerve uh? That issue is dead why dont we leave it that way. I only used it as a reference as to them difference from the nwc to the bvc. The nwc now has a history of outing teams they don't want and the Bvc doesn't! If they did vanlue would have been out anytime in the last 50 years and LB would have been on the ropes for the last 10-15. Again this is your problem not mine.

#35 Ericles

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 5556

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

As much as it might make sense to some people, playing a JV schedule would be a mistake that could have school-wide ramifications. The HN community has the label of being quitters and making this move would do nothing to dispel that notion. Harsh words, I know, but it's the truth.

Those that know who I am know I was a part of the community for three years. I never understood - and still don't - how there could be so much apathy there. Instead of being upset that there is so much losing and resolving to not let it happen anymore, the reaction is to rationalize why things are that way and accept them. That is truly a sad attitude to have.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this.

#36 roarintiger1

All State

• Members
  • 834 posts

Member No.: 769

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

FWIW, I was told that there was BVC ADs meeting last week. Not sure what all was discussed, but I'm guessing the Vanlue and Hardin Northern situations were brought up.
If folks think that these two schools are the only ones in trouble numbers-wise, they are mistaken. More are sure to follow. It seems that P-G has dodged that bullet at the moment with a short-term solution.

#37 FanMan

All State

• Members
  • 572 posts

Member No.: 5169

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

View Postbearclawz, on 14 January 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

HN to hold a town meeting wendsday at 7pm to discuss future of football program. Didnt take long for the mighty bears to come crumbling down.

Heard over the weekend from a reliable source that they only have 16 boys planning on playing next year. Sounds like the makings of a huge headache for whoever takes over the program.....though the fact that they're having a public meeting makes it sound like maybe there isn't going to be a program to take over.

#38 snoopy

All League

• Members
  • 87 posts

Member No.: 3765

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Pride is what HN is missing. There are boys there, get off the video games,quit taking the easy way out. Get off your @$^#^ and play. Some kids these days are lazy and will never amount to nothing. Kids need to learn that hard work and dedication is what it takes to be succesful, whether on the football field or in the game of life. Brunow showed that it takes dedication from everyone, kids,parents,administration,community. And HN lost that somewhere. Football is tough, but kids learn alot about responsibility, dedication, hard work, and yes FUN. But not until you put forth the effort to achieve all the other things involved. It would be a travesty to stop playing football at HN. The boys that want to be there will be, now they have to convince there friends that don't play to get out there.

#39 wlstigers1988

All League

• Members
  • 44 posts

Member No.: 5081

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Sorry to see Shane couldn't turn things around, he's a good man with only the best intentions for the players. Wishing you luck in your future endeavors from McGuffey!!!

#40 bambino

All District

• Members
  • 117 posts

Member No.: 5935

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Get rid of that kick ball stuff at the smaller schools not enough students to have that many sports. Just my opinion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users