• Members
  • 947 posts

Member No.: 410

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

QB inks his commitment, literally
Friday, June 4, 2010 02:54 AM
By Tim May
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
Braxton Miller of Huber Heights Wayne plans to enroll early at Ohio State in January.
Jan Underwood | Dayton Daily News

HUBER HEIGHTS, Ohio - Braxton Miller reached for the Notre Dame hat first, then put it aside. Next came the Georgia and Alabama caps, which he also quickly discarded. Finally, it was Ohio State and Florida. He faked a look at the cap with the F on it but then reached for the one with the block O and put it on his head.

Miller, a 6-foot-3, 203-pounder considered the top quarterback prospect nationally by Scout.com, wanted to build the drama at a news conference to announce his college choice. But most everyone in attendance in Huber Heights Wayne's auditorium thought they already knew his choice.

His tattoo artist knew for sure.

"It looks pretty good, doesn't it?" Miller said after he rolled up his left sleeve to reveal a large block O tattoo on his shoulder and upper arm. "I just got it."

Now that's a commitment. It's like the block O tattoo that current Ohio State junior quarterback Terrelle Pryor got on his right forearm last spring. It would be difficult for Miller, cousin of former Buckeyes receiver Dee Miller, to change his mind.

"When I decided I was going to commit, I was like, 'It's the college I like, and I'm in Ohio,'" Miller said, so he had it put in ink.

Miller, like Pryor, is a quarterback adept at running and throwing the ball. He plans to enroll early at Ohio State in January, ahead of even when national letters of intent can first be signed in February.

"In this era of the spread offense where teams need dual-threat quarterbacks, a player with the talent of Braxton Miller is still a rare commodity," analyst Bill Kurelic of Bucknuts said.

In landing Miller, Ohio State had at least two things going for it. First, in the style typical of coach Jim Tressel, he was the only quarterback that the Buckeyes offered a scholarship to in his class.

"That was me," Miller said. "I was like, 'That's a blessed opportunity right there.'"

The second thing was proximity. Miller lives in Springfield but has commuted the 15 miles to Wayne since his freshman year, and he has been a regular at Ohio State summer football camps since the sixth grade.

Headed into the eighth grade, he said he tried to sneak up into the high school group but was rebuffed. Still, some of the counselors told him, "They're going to offer you one day."

"So that's what I kept doing," he said, "playing harder and harder, and kept the grades up."

Now the decision is made, sooner than some expected.

"I just wanted to get it out of the way so I could concentrate on my senior season at Wayne," said Miller, who has been slowed by injuries the past two seasons.

Now he can go to work helping lure other recruits to a recruiting class that includes 12 players. One target will be his longtime friend Trey DePriest, a blue-chip linebacker from Springfield, who has pared his list to Ohio State, Alabama and Florida. DePriest was in attendance.

"That's my best friend," DePriest said. "We've been boys for a long time. I had to come support him."

tmay@dispatch.com

Columbus Dispatch

Edited by JAB, 04 June 2010 - 04:41 PM.

#2 Greenwave88

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Member No.: 251

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

i feel this was a better pick up for ohio state than pryor was.. got to watch him a couple of times and everytime i see some troy smithin him..
GO BUCKS!
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users