Former Ohio Coaches finding the sledding tough out of state....

1 reply to this topic

#1 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 12,852 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

I saw a mention of how former Kenton Head Coach Mike Mauk was doing down in Missouri with his new team and thought about one of the RC's favorite head coaches........Coach Jerry Cooper, formerly of LCC. One of the posters stated that the problem at Kenton was that the new head coach wasn't nearly the coach as the former.....A good argument, but someone else mentioned that T-A-L-E-N-T is also very important......Coach Mauk has started the year 0-4 with his new school and Coach Cooper and the Seymour Eagles have also stumbled out of the gate with a 1-3 mark...They have also been outscored 116-66 in their four games........hardly LCC-esque stats......while Coach Mauk surely had some very good reasons to leave Kenton, going 0-4 to start the season is not exactly what he had in mind when taking over this program I'm thinkin'.........can't see this gig lasting longer than the current year if things remain the same...........Coach Cooper down in Seymour also has to be kicking himself for leaving LCC when he did....yea, I know that his wife wanted to retire and such, but football coaches only have one hobby......coaching football!.....they live, breathe, and die for it.......there is no other substitution. So to struggle like they have and getting pounded on a weekly basis has to bother him just a bit I'd imagine........we'll keep following both of these program's future and get back with you.....RM
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#2 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,292 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

My guess is if both of these programs needed coaches, they probably are not, and have not been very good. So give them a few years to get their systems, lifting, culture in place and then judge them. As Norman Dale said in Hoosiers, let's see what hand I've been dealt. You might also wonder if Coop saw the tide turning at Lima Senior and many of Lima's best athletes were going to or staying at Senior instead of fleeing to Elida, LCC, Bath and others. As far as Kenton, it's a football community, so I'd be shocked if they don't continue to be decent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users