258 replies to this topic

#201 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Member No.: 1048

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostHH75, on 07 August 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

So who does HN have scheduled to play this year. Not all the bvc teams have a jv. Who they getting.

Did read elsewhere they are at St. Wendelin week 1 for their lone varsity game. Figured I'd just look to see who was playing Vanlue and CR on friday and guess the rest.

Edited by bob22, 07 August 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#202 DirtyPBear76

All District

• Members
  • 291 posts

Member No.: 3912

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostHH75, on 07 August 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

So who does HN have scheduled to play this year. Not all the bvc teams have a jv. Who they getting.

I think they play Ridgemont in a scrimmage. I saw someone had posted something about it somewhere else. I know Arlington is planning on playing LC J.V. Other than that, I couldn't tell you.

Edited by DirtyPBear76, 07 August 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#203 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Member No.: 2544

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

View Postbob22, on 07 August 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

Pot. Meet. Kettle.
If you're referring to Riverdale's league-jumping abilities and the way the whole NCC thing went...I suppose it might SEEM that way. First of all, Riverdale had knocked more than once at the door of the BVC and turned away or voted down. The direction the NCC was headed would have ended up being split into 2 separate conferences (big and small) anyway, the original NCC members that were left decided to take things into their own hands and make sure we weren't travelling to Loudanville and beyond to play games multiple times per year. The BVC decided to "explore" the idea of expanding at the same time we had to either COMMIT to a conference or be without one....we chose to go with something that was a definite instead of a maybe.

You can all say whatever you want about the way we ended up as part of this conference...BUT...if it were your school in that same scenario, it probably would have played out the same way. You have to do what is right for the kids and the district, and that's what we did. We could be high and dry without a conference right now if we had done it any differently.

THIS is why I think the BVC should be careful about going expansion-crazy. The wheels get turning, schools start looking at different scenarios, alliances form, and before you know it the conference is gone. Twelve teams is good for extra non-conference games and playoff potential...14 teams is pushing the envelope if you want to keep everybody in the same conference.

Edited by falconfan84, 07 August 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#204 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostDirtyPBear76, on 07 August 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

I think they play Ridgemont in a scrimmage. I saw someone had posted something about it somewhere else. I know Arlington is planning on playing LC J.V. Other than that, I couldn't tell you.
There are enough JV programs in the area they'll be fine. Just in our local area you have LB, Van Buren, McComb, Leipsic, Columbus Grove, Bluffton, Ada, Riverdale, Kenton, Perry, Calvert, Mohawk, Hopewell, etc. Shouldn't be an issue.

#205 Hound Dog

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Member No.: 700

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 08 August 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

There are enough JV programs in the area they'll be fine. Just in our local area you have LB, Van Buren, McComb, Leipsic, Columbus Grove, Bluffton, Ada, Riverdale, Kenton, Perry, Calvert, Mohawk, Hopewell, etc. Shouldn't be an issue.

Grove has a full JV schedule.
2011-2012 Las Falcon's Basketball Pick-Em Champion!

#206 effingA

All District

• Members
  • 449 posts

Member No.: 9187

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

How do you play those teams in JV when they're already playing a JV schedule?

#207 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Member No.: 1295

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

View Postfalconfan84, on 07 August 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

If you're referring to Riverdale's league-jumping abilities and the way the whole NCC thing went...I suppose it might SEEM that way. First of all, Riverdale had knocked more than once at the door of the BVC and turned away or voted down. The direction the NCC was headed would have ended up being split into 2 separate conferences (big and small) anyway, the original NCC members that were left decided to take things into their own hands and make sure we weren't travelling to Loudanville and beyond to play games multiple times per year. The BVC decided to "explore" the idea of expanding at the same time we had to either COMMIT to a conference or be without one....we chose to go with something that was a definite instead of a maybe.

You can all say whatever you want about the way we ended up as part of this conference...BUT...if it were your school in that same scenario, it probably would have played out the same way. You have to do what is right for the kids and the district, and that's what we did. We could be high and dry without a conference right now if we had done it any differently.

THIS is why I think the BVC should be careful about going expansion-crazy. The wheels get turning, schools start looking at different scenarios, alliances form, and before you know it the conference is gone. Twelve teams is good for extra non-conference games and playoff potential...14 teams is pushing the envelope if you want to keep everybody in the same conference.

Seriously?!
You really just need to laugh at your self sometimes. Geez!

#208 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

View Postfalconfan84, on 07 August 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

If you're referring to Riverdale's league-jumping abilities and the way the whole NCC thing went...I suppose it might SEEM that way. First of all, Riverdale had knocked more than once at the door of the BVC and turned away or voted down. The direction the NCC was headed would have ended up being split into 2 separate conferences (big and small) anyway, the original NCC members that were left decided to take things into their own hands and make sure we weren't travelling to Loudanville and beyond to play games multiple times per year. The BVC decided to "explore" the idea of expanding at the same time we had to either COMMIT to a conference or be without one....we chose to go with something that was a definite instead of a maybe. You can all say whatever you want about the way we ended up as part of this conference...BUT...if it were your school in that same scenario, it probably would have played out the same way. You have to do what is right for the kids and the district, and that's what we did. We could be high and dry without a conference right now if we had done it any differently. THIS is why I think the BVC should be careful about going expansion-crazy. The wheels get turning, schools start looking at different scenarios, alliances form, and before you know it the conference is gone. Twelve teams is good for extra non-conference games and playoff potential...14 teams is pushing the envelope if you want to keep everybody in the same conference.

I'm well aware of the circumstances concerning R-dales moves. Thought it was an odd question considering R-dale not only shuffled the deck but asked for a re-deal too.

The Falcons have a ways to go to catch up with Fairbanks. :)

As for 14 teams pushing the envelope...probably not due to volleyball and basketball regular seasons going to 22 games.

#209 Ericles

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 5556

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

View Postbob22, on 09 August 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

I'm well aware of the circumstances concerning R-dales moves. Thought it was an odd question considering R-dale not only shuffled the deck but asked for a re-deal too.

The Falcons have a ways to go to catch up with Fairbanks. :)

As for 14 teams pushing the envelope...probably not due to volleyball and basketball regular seasons going to 22 games.

Volleyball has been at 22 games for a while now.

#210 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostEricles, on 09 August 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Volleyball has been at 22 games for a while now.

Yep. "going to", "being"... same diff. Thats what happens when u post right before bedtime. :)

Edited by bob22, 09 August 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#211 effingA

All District

• Members
  • 449 posts

Member No.: 9187

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

HN looking to play football in the NWCC?

#212 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

I guess I'll give you the "shuffling" with the formation of the Northern 10 conference (although we didn't have much choice...either be part of it or be independent)...but I can't say that an INVITATION from the BVC would be considered asking for a re-deal. Like I said, in BOTH instances, we did what was best for the kids and the district (and what made the most sense).

#213 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

No...not due to that at all. We've played a home-and-away league schedule in these sports for years, and that amounted to 14 conference games (in an 8-team league) and 13 conference games in the 10-team league (8 home-and-away in our division and 5 against the other division)...so that's doable already.

What I'm talking about is in football with two 7-team divisions, there are 6 divisional games and probably 2 games against schools from the other division of the conference...leaving 2 non-conference games. Deciding how to rotate cross-divisional games could be done different ways. You can either rotate them on a yearly basis, or try to schedule games against rival opponents. Either way, I guess, you end up possibly not playing certain teams for a good number of years at a time. The league could very well miss out on some very good match-ups when everyone doesn't face each other. At this point of expansion, it may be just as easy to split into 2 different leagues.

I'm pretty sure that the main reason of expansion revolves around playoff exposure for BVC teams. Expanding and playing extra non-conference games will give you the best opportunity to ensure more BVC teams can advance...much like the MAC expansion. However, in the MAC, there were always playoff-worthy teams that never made it due to losing conference games. In some other conferences, their playoff teams aren't always worthy.

Edited by falconfan84, 09 August 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#214 falconfan84

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostHH75, on 08 August 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Seriously?!
You really just need to laugh at your self sometimes. Geez!
I try HH75. To you, I'm probably like that song you don't like on the radio. You might need to listen to another station for a while and then switch back in a few minutes.

I will say, I look forward to getting to play Cory-Rawson and read what you might have to say about those games. Who knows, maybe we'd even run into each other at a game?

Edited by falconfan84, 09 August 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#215 bob22

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

View Postfalconfan84, on 09 August 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

No...not due to that at all. We've played a home-and-away league schedule in these sports for years, and that amounted to 14 conference games (in an 8-team league) and 13 conference games in the 10-team league (8 home-and-away in our division and 5 against the other division)...so that's doable already.

What I'm talking about is in football with two 7-team divisions, there are 6 divisional games and probably 2 games against schools from the other division of the conference...leaving 2 non-conference games. Deciding how to rotate cross-divisional games could be done different ways. You can either rotate them on a yearly basis, or try to schedule games against rival opponents. Either way, I guess, you end up possibly not playing certain teams for a good number of years at a time. The league could very well miss out on some very good match-ups when everyone doesn't face each other. At this point of expansion, it may be just as easy to split into 2 different leagues.

I'm pretty sure that the main reason of expansion revolves around playoff exposure for BVC teams. Expanding and playing extra non-conference games will give you the best opportunity to ensure more BVC teams can advance...much like the MAC expansion. However, in the MAC, there were always playoff-worthy teams that never made it due to losing conference games. In some other conferences, their playoff teams aren't always worthy.

If i remember right its supposed to be a formula of w-l records and enrollment numbers to rank teams 1 thru 12 (or 14) Odd numbers in one divsion, evens in another. One cross division game will be the corresponding team in the opposite division i.e. 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc. Gotta figure there will be some protected games too if say Arcadia and Vanlue are in opposite divsions and aren't slated to play according to the formula.

I'm pretty sure expansion was more about gates. Since the playoff expansions in 94 and 99 the BVC has never really had a problem getting 3 or 4 teams in. An 8-2 Arlington team that finished 9th comes to mind though.

The last time (actually the only time) I saw Vanlue play an away game there were fewer than 50 people on their sideline. Now Van Buren for example can replace them with a school like Bluffton who'll bring a lot more than that.

I doubt the move to 14 happens though. H-L and NB were easy with the MAL falling apart. The Dale was even easier because of the distances involved. Now it becomes a much harder sell.

Edited by bob22, 10 August 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#216 HH75

All State

• Members
  • 839 posts

Member No.: 1295

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

View Postfalconfan84, on 09 August 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

I try HH75. To you, I'm probably like that song you don't like on the radio. You might need to listen to another station for a while and then switch back in a few minutes.

I will say, I look forward to getting to play Cory-Rawson and read what you might have to say about those games. Who knows, maybe we'd even run into each other at a game?

Simply was referring to bob22 poking fun at your "reshuffle statement ... you simply could have just laughed it off, instead we get another war and peace story about the history of Rdale football. Everyone here is well aware of what Rdale has been through.

Lighten up Francis!!! IT WAS A JOKE!!!!!

Whats it going to be like from you when you guys are actually good? Wait.....don't answer that!!!

Guess I'll just tear the radio out instead of changing stations!

Edited by HH75, 10 August 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#217 cropduster

All District

• Members
  • 269 posts

Member No.: 2687

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

25 students have left the district b/c of this decision to suspend the varsity football program. Nice work administrative team, as well as athletic directors board members who we can now say have completely tore down something that took 26 years to build and be proud of, not only have you made hn the laughing stock of the BVC, your losing money everyday for our district b/c shortsightedness. The more information I get there is no doubt this double dipping superintendent intrests lies more where he came from than where he's working now. The district needs a new superintendent and board ASAP, before there is no district at all.

#218 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

View Postcropduster, on 16 August 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

25 students have left the district b/c of this decision to suspend the varsity football program. Nice work administrative team, as well as athletic directors board members who we can now say have completely tore down something that took 26 years to build and be proud of, not only have you made hn the laughing stock of the BVC, your losing money everyday for our district b/c shortsightedness. The more information I get there is no doubt this double dipping superintendent intrests lies more where he came from than where he's working now. The district needs a new superintendent and board ASAP, before there is no district at all.
25 students? Heck, that's what 20% of the district? Is that K-12 or high school? Look, I'm sure this wasn't an easy decision, and it took guts to finally pull the plug. My fear was that a 110 lb. 14 yr. old freshman with little ability would get seriously injured by a 240 lb. 19 year old linebacker who has some colleges interested. I'm sure in years past, there's been kids at some of these other struggling programs who had no business on the field Friday night, and the district was just darn lucky there wasn't a major permanant injury.
HN will land on it's feet. Hopefully they get into the conference with Perry and Ridgemont and find out they can complete, and the numbers will come back. My guess is they'll not want to move back into the BVC in 3 years.
The blame needs to fall back on many of the boys that graduated from HN the last 3-4 years who chose not to play football.

#219 Mr Bearcat

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Member No.: 3337

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

View Postcropduster, on 16 August 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

As an outsider if that number is correct given the already small school, consolidation might be the best option.
Mr B

#220 brunowball

All State

• Members
  • 815 posts

Member No.: 1297

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Where did the 25 students go? Ada, USV, Kenton?

With the numbers declining like they are, you're right, consolidation might be inevitable at some point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users