Van Buren Soccer 2007

224 replies to this topic

#21 knightmare07

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Member No.: 2307

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

Good posting Blade, but I've gotta ask you, how far back do you consider a few years? Yes, last year was rough but, Since 2003 (not including 2006) they have won more games than they have lost and made a state semi trip in that time.

Edited by knightmare07, 30 August 2007 - 09:12 AM.

#22 slingblade

All District

• Members
  • 488 posts

Member No.: 325

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:34 PM

I do remember that one superb year that VB had when they went to state. I was there watching. That was the best team that VB had so far. I do see potential in this team this year and in the next several years. VB has built a pretty strong soccer program.

#23 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:25 AM

to the RC v1p!! Great to have you & hope you have fun here at the Corner!!!

Happy posting!!
"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#24 myturn

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Member No.: 2578

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

Even though VB lost handily to Ottoville, I was glad to see that Sleasman scored. Last year I know was a frustrating year for him being placed on defense when he normally played up front.
Life is a gift...that is why it's called 'the present'

#25 VBSuperStar2

All League

• Members
  • 69 posts

Member No.: 2317

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:43 PM

Myturn... actually the goal was by jason tropf (#23) and was printed in the paper as sleasman... also -Van Buren had 4 times when the ball went right past the goalie and back defenders to put ottoville up 4-0 early which pretty much i think took VB out of the game. I expect and hope to see them more focused the rest of the season and do not expect them to lose that badly again. (let's hope). Next game: VB vs. cory rawson - today 5 p.m.

#26 Man United Fan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Member No.: 1197

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:24 AM

I was never on a team that lost that bad to another team, but I would have to guess that it may be hard for VB to get focused for todays game against CR.

#27 myturn

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:42 AM

VBSS2 - thanks for the correction about who scored during Ottoville game. Hopefully VBs goalie today isn't still in funk during CR game. Good luck

#28 VBSuperStar2

All League

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

Is Van Buren honestly as bad than last year, or are they going to turn things around?? I seriously hope things start going in the other direction for them... thoughts???

#29 Man United Fan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Member No.: 1197

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:50 PM

I honestly think they are about as bad as last year.

#30 myturn

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:35 AM

Actually, last year's team should have been much, much better than it was. But the record speaks that VB stunk.
If this year is going to turn around it will depend on coaching. There seems to be a person in a major position that he really doesn't want to be at and once something goes wrong, he seems to give up.
The plus side to this year is that captains at least are not arguing out on the field. (with each other or any other players, at least that I have seen) During CR game a mid-fielder started yelling at a captain playing defense about him not doing his job. If this were a captain from last year, he would have been in the mid-fielders face.

#31 VBSuperStar2

All League

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:30 AM

myturn... what exactly are you tryin to tell us about the coaching at VB then?? and so you are saying the captains at VB are better this year? Who are they?

#32 myturn

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(VBSuperStar2 @ Sep 3 2007, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
myturn... what exactly are you tryin to tell us about the coaching at VB then?? and so you are saying the captains at VB are better this year? Who are they?

VBSS2 - it's not just VB coaching, but all places. Once in awhile other people can see things happening on the field that the coach doesn't see or chooses to ignore. For example when you see two of a teams leaders/captains take themselves out of a game by arguing with each other...it would be time for them to sit a while -- or if you are losing 9 to something and starters aren't having any luck doing anything....it's time to change up.
I do give credit to people who do coach though, because they do take a lot of criticism from people like myself.
As far as the captain question goes - I'm not saying this year's captains are any better than last year. It's just seems they are more controlled. They may be getting angry at things, but while on the field, they aren't out of control. If a play falls apart, I haven't seen them just quit what they are doing. I'm not saying all the VB captains last year were like that either. As far as who they are, I've heard rumors about it being a floating captain thing this year, but haven't seen it. One of the games I saw, nobody had the captains band on and the latest one it was SR John Flannagan and SR Spencer Smith. (sorry if spelling is wrong)

whistling.gif

Edited by myturn, 03 September 2007 - 04:56 PM.

#33 knightmare07

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:19 PM

Come on VBSS2, you know as good as anybody who the captains are....

#34 VBSuperStar2

All League

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

knightmare07- i do know who the captains are and i do follow the team closely... and myturn and anyone else, I am surprised that Sleasman also did not get captain. What do you all think of Flanagan and Smith??

also--- game tomorrow @ Upper Sandusky... any thoughts/ predictions???

#35 soccerstar9

• Members
  • 16 posts

Member No.: 2661

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

Knightmare07 from what i know is that you don't have a lot of room to talk about soccer whistling.gif

#36 knightmare07

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:28 AM

Well I think that Flanagan deserves it but Smith? I don't think so.... and soccerstar9, you'd be surprised at how much I know about soccer and how much room that I have to talk... You know I've watched Van Buren vs. Kalida and Cory Rawson...

And they looked good against Kalida but... maybe they didn't put out all effort against Cory... If they play the rest of their games like the Kalida game, then they could do great things this year... if they play all like they did against Cory... well... maybe Calvert could sneak up on them.... impossible you say? Well after a 3-2 W for VB against them last year, I say that anything is possible.

Edited by knightmare07, 06 September 2007 - 11:50 AM.

#37 myturn

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:01 PM

soccerstar9 - did you join when you were supposed to be working for H?

Flanagan has played for all four years. He has always been one who can run a whole game.

Smith quit after his freshman year because he was frustrated with playing time...from what I had heard. But at least he did come back his junior year instead of waiting till his senior year to come back.

#38 knightmare07

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:11 PM

Kalida - you tied and it was impressive
Ottoville- way to score one as compared to their uh... 9
Cory- is it true that Cory scored all 6 goals in their 5-1 thrashing of you guys?
Upper- Maybe a win
Pandora- You will win because I don't like them
ADA- ask Kyrill he will ensure Ada's victory.
Bryan- uh... you might score on them.
Ft. Jennings- Should be a loss... for VB
Calvert- used to be an ensured win but.... they've gotten better
Columbian- A win for VB
Miller City- no no no no no
Old Fort- Do they actually have a team this year?
Bluffton- Pirates W
Riverdale- Knights fall past Falcons
LB- about the only sports that VB will beat LB in this year is B&G Basketball, and Golf
Mohawk- A VB W to send them to tournaments where, more likely as not, they will lose in their first game.

Not a good looking season is it?

Edited by knightmare07, 06 September 2007 - 12:12 PM.

#39 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Member No.: 2089

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:19 PM

WHo is Kyrill at VB? A former Ada player?

#40 knightmare07

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

Why yes he was

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users