• You cannot reply to this topic
68 replies to this topic

#1 GrandLake

All League

• Members
  • 40 posts

Member No.: 9515

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

I heard somebody went to the school board. And complained about Kentons coach. Coach Bartlett is doing a great job there. This year's team got better and better with each game. And in my opinion coach Bartlett did a great job with the talent that he had.

The future is bright great talent at the seventh grade level. Next year may be a down year with the next four after that will be great. It is tough to build the soccer team and a feeder program in a football town.

#2 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

Kenton had a nice season with a couple good wins (first ever vs OG I think)....even though they were short on players. They had a couple kids who were very fast. Maybe someone is trying to run the coach out so no more good athletes will leave football for soccer.

#3 Goin2goal

All District

• Members
  • 342 posts

Member No.: 2371

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

ok, not the first ever vs OG...First since before 1996. All-time the series is 20-5-2 with a 16-1-1 OG advantage dating back to 1997.

From what I have heard, a group of older alumni who have kids in the program, would like to see a change in leadership. One thought is coach Bart, has spent too much time on the 7th grade group and not enough time on the HS group.

Just one theory I am hearing.

#4 GrandLake

All League

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

I know last few preseason Kenton has been going to the Strongsville tournament. And they went to bowling green tournament this year with 5 other WBL teams. Kenton hosted 7v7 tournament this year. So that theory doesn't hold water. The theory that I'm hearing is someone wants the job so that he could benefit from talent that is coming in seventh grade group.

#5 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Member No.: 2089

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

GrandLake, it is not about stealing the 7th graders away, it is about a lack of a true program over 14 years. It is not just a group of alumni, but rather members of the community who want to see some kind of success at the high school level. 6 wins this year does not a successful program make. 14 years-158 losses. It is time for a new direction.

I am the one who spoke to the board, and I do not want the job. If you hear otherwise, it is a lie. I will not take another Varsity job.

Edited by formercoach, 11 December 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#6 GrandLake

All League

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

Ok Let look at kenton baseball 15-110 in the wbl last 14 years Kenton basketball 35-91 in the wbl last 14 years Kenton soccer 28-89-9 in wbl last 14 years.

I think the community needs to look the whole picture not just soccer. Other than football Kenton athletics has been down for the last 14 years. And who is gonna come in and fix this program?

#7 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

GL, the DIFFERENCE is that those sports have TRIED a different direction. The current soccer coach has 14 years in, plus 2 years as JV coach. After 16 years, is it safe to say that a "program" has not been built? ONLY Mike Mauk has a longer tenure at Kenton with current coaches. I would wager that it is the same way for the entire county as well.

Basketball has done pretty well over the last few years and we can SEE the improvements year after year as well as an involvement with the Youth in the area.

The current coach is not a Kenton native. Neither were the past coaches. It is OKAY to look outside of the community.

So, who is going to come in and “fix this program”? Someone, anyone!!! We have been in a rut for many years. Find a hungry young coach who can make the kids better than they are. Someone who can KEEP players within the system and who works with the youth programs to develop players better. Is that too much to ask for? Would YOU settle for anything less for your children?

14 years is a long time. It is enough of a time frame to judge a body of work. The current system is not working.

“I am not anxious to be the loudest voice or the most popular. But I would like to think that at a crucial moment, I was an effective voice of the voiceless, an effective hope of the hopeless.” WhitneyYoung

Edited by formercoach, 12 December 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#8 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

You've got to remember that Kenton soccer is competing with Kenton Football. No other HS soccer coach ANYWHERE in Ohio or maybe the entire country for that matter at a school that size has a worse situation than the HC at Kenton. The football coach is the AD.....the football coach has had his own kids involved in football for almost the entire time the guy has been coaching soccer...meaning that the Mauk kids' friends have been exposed to Kenton football daily since they were all 5 years old. It only makes sense that the top athletes have been playing football....who would want to go against that tradition...especially when your friend Benny or Maty was playing football. Nothing against those two...but it's just the way it is....any friend playing football or basketball with Benny and Maty growing up is logically going to be drawn to the KHS football program over soccer... The fact that there is now a good class of 7th graders coming up just makes sense.....there are no Mauk kids associated with that group to pull all the best athletes over to football. I think after having gone thru it this long, the HC deserves a chance to see what he can do with a talented group of true "soccer" kids....instead of just having to deal with the past 14 years of having the "non-football" kids.

Edited by charliesheen, 12 December 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#9 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

So you are basically giving him a FREE PASS for 14 years of futility? (minus the two winning seasons) That's ABSURD.

Mike Weihrauch does not make excuses about the football team at OG.

The other thing is there IS talent and HAS been talent on those past teams!

1. Has a program been built?

2. If you blame OTHERS for your own futility, where is the responsibility of the PAID leader?

I'm so tired of the football excuse. WHY have other classes not been as focused on as the 7th grade? We know why. However it does not allow someone a FREE PASS.

"You can stick around until your strong class is through." How dumb does that sound?

Edited by formercoach, 12 December 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#10 GrandLake

All League

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

FC, you made my point for me baseball and basketball have changed coaches and still not won.
You and I disagree on the job the current coaches is doing.

What young coach would come to this program knowing that the best athletes go to football and that winning is going to be a struggle for years to come.

You say that he's done nothing in the 14 years. That's not true he beat Shawnee three times. Wapak Celina Bath and St Marys have not done that.

Edited by GrandLake, 12 December 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#11 KitnaSucks

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Member No.: 9545

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

In regards to the 7th graders. He spends most of his time with them because his son plays on that team. Not sure how many of them will play in high school.

Also the baseball team is ran by the football coaches as well. They won't go anywhere as long as kenton football is successful. They play baseball as a varsity "hobby" in kenton. They are not interested in building a baseball program. But in regards to styer he is right on all points. If I performed like Bartlett at my job I would have been fired long ago.

#12 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

GL, you missed MY point. They have at least TRIED something different. I disagree with basketball not winning, both girls and boys programs HAVE improved in wins and quality of play.

GL, tell me this..... is a 27% winning record good enough for you as a parent, tax payer, and community member? Is it TRULY the best that can be done?

Do you settle for mediocre?

#13 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

I didn't say "nothing" in 14 years, but if you are hanging your hat on going 3-whatever against Shawnee......

#14 GrandLake

All League

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

FC, my point is making a change just for the sake of change hasn't helped baseball basketball. I think the basketball coaches are doing a good job. I was just giving statistics to show that all three programs are statistically the same.

Is 0.222 a good win percentage because that's what OG had this year. Should we fire their coach. Absolutely not.

I'm not hanging my hat on anything just stating a fact. I can tell you that Kenton is always prepared and well coached when I had played against them. There's more to coaching than just winning.

Instead of whining about the coach why don't the community get involved in fixing the feeder programs that you say is broken.

Edited by GrandLake, 13 December 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#15 KitnaSucks

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Because Jamie needs to be involved in doing it and if it doesn't benefit his 7th grade son he doesn't do enough.

#16 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostGrandLake, on 13 December 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

FC, my point is making a change just for the sake of change hasn't helped baseball basketball. I think the basketball coaches are doing a good job. I was just giving statistics to show that all three programs are statistically the same.

Is 0.222 a good win percentage because that's what OG had this year. Should we fire their coach. Absolutely not.

I'm not hanging my hat on anything just stating a fact. I can tell you that Kenton is always prepared and well coached when I had played against them. There's more to coaching than just winning.

Instead of whining about the coach why don't the community get involved in fixing the feeder programs that you say is broken.

You never ANSWERED my question. Would this be acceptable to YOU if your children were in the system?

It is easy to judge a program from a distance.

"Well-prepared and well coached", but what are the results? I KNOW that there is more to coaching than winning and losing, but when 73% of the time it is LOSING, what then?

After 14 years of this, can you say it is "whining"? I think that stating facts and expecting BETTER results does not fit the category of WHINING.

With your point about OG, you clearly do not get the point. Coach Weihrauch has a BODY of work that is excellent. A sub-par year here and there is EXPECTED, and as his past record shows, they will rebuild. I cannot believe that you used that as a main point.

AGAIN, what would YOU do for YOUR kids and for the kids that you coached?

Blame the feeder system all that you want to, but I am a part of that system and I know that that is not a viable EXCUSE. You either get it done as a coach or you do not. The facts speak for themselves.

Edited by formercoach, 19 December 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#17 KitnaSucks

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Well said

#18 whatdoiknow

All District

• Members
  • 339 posts

Member No.: 4278

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

I can't believe that anyone having ever coached a varsity sport would trash another coach at a public board meeting or on an internet site. Shame on you. It is not as if the girls team was doing much in the wbl if you trolling the sidelines.

#19 KitnaSucks

All District

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

So this topic is dead already.

#20 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

View Postwhatdoiknow, on 25 December 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

I can't believe that anyone having ever coached a varsity sport would trash another coach at a public board meeting or on an internet site. Shame on you. It is not as if the girls team was doing much in the wbl if you trolling the sidelines.

I didn't "trash" anyone. I stated facts as a representative of the youth soccer community and as a parent. If you don't like the facts, change the facts, get better, be respected. If not, expect for people to want a change for the better.

Actually, the girls did do better, check the records. However, I was only there 30% of the time as a volunteer anyways, I put my own family first.

WHATDOIKNOW, would you like to compare YOUR coaching statistics with me? I'm certainly not hiding behind my moniker....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users