Time to end P-G soccer

144 replies to this topic

#1 hunt4em

All District

• Members
  • 256 posts

Member No.: 4444

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

What do other schools think when they play P-G? Only 5 boys on a boys team the rest girls. They are getting beat scores like 14-0, 16-0, that is with the other teams being nice and trying to keep the scores down. Is it really worth other teams paying officials for these games of no competition? At the start of the season P-G had 3 subs, as of this week they are down to one, two girls have season ending injuries. What are the parents thinking sending girls out to play boys in a varsity sport. Maybe other teams need to play hard so the kids and parents will open their eyes. END IT. What are your thoughts.

#2 dkusma96

All State

• Members
  • 622 posts

Member No.: 5181

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

I would venture a guess that they are getting beaten 14-0, 16-0 without the opponents trying to run up the score.

Anyway, if the kids want to play, let them play. It's as simple as that. Ending the program because they are bad is not a good reason. I don't think there's anything wrong with women playing on a men's team so I don't think it's a parental failure. That's the same rationale as parents not allowing a boy to play football.

Honestly, I can understand that it would be tough numbers wise to have football and men's soccer in a small school. Perhaps it would be better if PG went with a women's team.

#3 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Member No.: 2089

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

View Postdkusma96, on 14 September 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

I would venture a guess that they are getting beaten 14-0, 16-0 without the opponents trying to run up the score.

Anyway, if the kids want to play, let them play. It's as simple as that. Ending the program because they are bad is not a good reason. I don't think there's anything wrong with women playing on a men's team so I don't think it's a parental failure. That's the same rationale as parents not allowing a boy to play football.

Honestly, I can understand that it would be tough numbers wise to have football and men's soccer in a small school. Perhaps it would be better if PG went with a women's team.

Agreed. A girls program might be In order.

#4 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:17 PM

when MC first started their boys team they also had girls playing on the varsity............and they don't even have football to contend
there are many poor boys soccer teams in this area and around the state. While we were never considered a soccer power in the past
we have been competitive from time to time............

I'm more worried about our football team :bag: ..........we will beat Vanlue and Hardin Northern this season.....not something to hang your hat on I suspect....
if the football team continues to struggle as they have I would venture a guess that more males might be making the move to the real futbol :whistling:
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#5 Venom

All District

• Members
  • 168 posts

Member No.: 634

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

I would give it time. When P-G first started their soccer program they were not bad. I'm not saying they were great, but could compete a lot better than they have been able to in the last couple years. I just think maybe with their last coach they had, she didnt know exactly what she was doing out there but now I believe they got someone now that could possibly gain some more interest and confidence. I just wouldn't all together throw the program away even if you have more girls than guys on the team. Give it some more time and see where the program goes in a few years. If you have a soccer program at a high school don't you have to at least have a boys team before a girls?

#6 pepper

All League

• Members
  • 50 posts

Member No.: 6985

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

" don't you have to at least have a boys team before a girls? "

No you don't. It's up to the title 9 issue. Coldwater now has girls soccer for that reason but no boys. you have to have equal oppertunities for both girls and boys to play or participate in activites. wish how ever the MAC would pick up Boys soccer wow what a leauge that would be. Almost all those area have strong youth soccer but stop at he the 13's for --- American Football---

#7 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:10 AM

PG should cancel the FB program go with soccer. It is cheaper and they could be competitive in a couple years. Face the reality here, FB in PC is NOT economical. Except for OG and CG, and possibly LHS. We need consolidation in Putnam County, the time is NOW....

#8 OSH

All League

• Members
  • 93 posts

Member No.: 8966

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:16 AM

I think it's time to just consolidate schools. Things will be fine athletically then.

Maybe operate the schools independently (like keep the students in the same schools) and just co-op/consolidate the athletic programs. It can and should be done in many areas of Ohio (not to mention several other states as well).

There's really no reason to have schools as small as Arlington, Bluffton, Cory-Rawson, Pandora Gilboa, etc. to all be within 15 minutes of each other and still be operating separately. Just no sense in it.
"Mama said the pistol was the Devil's right hand." -- Johnny Cash

#9 dkusma96

All State

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

View Postvon, on 18 September 2011 - 12:10 AM, said:

We need consolidation in Putnam County, the time is NOW....

The time was a few years ago before shiny new schools were built across the county.

#10 dkusma96

All State

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:35 AM

View Postpepper, on 15 September 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

" don't you have to at least have a boys team before a girls? "

No you don't. It's up to the title 9 issue.

I despise title 9....and affirmative action....ugh

#11 hunt4em

All District

• Members
  • 256 posts

Member No.: 4444

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

Football is alive and well at p-g, and yes still bringing in money, Yes this is a tough year with two small classes back to back when ever that happens you will be down, only 2 seniors on the field at the last game. The interest in soccer is way down, not many younger boys playing since the start up of midget football. Think what you want, football will stay, and soccer is on it's way out.

#12 OSH

All League

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

View Posthunt4em, on 18 September 2011 - 01:30 PM, said:

Football is alive and well at p-g, and yes still bringing in money, Yes this is a tough year with two small classes back to back when ever that happens you will be down, only 2 seniors on the field at the last game. The interest in soccer is way down, not many younger boys playing since the start up of midget football. Think what you want, football will stay, and soccer is on it's way out.

The idea behind athletics being involved with an educational setting isn't based on what is "profitable." Well...shouldn't be.

There still needs to be consolidation regardless of who is successful and who is profitable. There is no reason why there should be several schools struggling for roster numbers, sports, fans, funding, etc. in these areas we have mentioned. Operate the schools how they are, that's fine. Just combine the athletic side of them.

This is where the state government and OHSAA should start doing something (for once). The taxpayers are investing too much money in these programs and schools to see things floundering for a variety of reasons.

#13 dkusma96

All State

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

View PostOSH, on 18 September 2011 - 03:46 PM, said:

The idea behind athletics being involved with an educational setting isn't based on what is "profitable." Well...shouldn't be.

There still needs to be consolidation regardless of who is successful and who is profitable. There is no reason why there should be several schools struggling for roster numbers, sports, fans, funding, etc. in these areas we have mentioned. Operate the schools how they are, that's fine. Just combine the athletic side of them.

This is where the state government and OHSAA should start doing something (for once). The taxpayers are investing too much money in these programs and schools to see things floundering for a variety of reasons.

High school sports isn't and shouldn't be a moneymaker. If the local fans strongly support their teams and they can break even, so be it. High school athletics is a part of educating young men and women.

Combining school's athletic teams? I wouldn't be in favor of that.

You hit on something with your last paragraph though. The state SHOULDN'T do anything. That's the problem: subsidizing stupidity. If local taxpayers will foot the bill for a new school, nice athletic facilities and extracurricular activities for a small district, GOOD FOR THEM. If they do not, then they will be forced to cut programs or consolidate.

#14 dkusma96

All State

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

View Posthunt4em, on 18 September 2011 - 01:30 PM, said:

Football is alive and well at p-g

Alive sure, but I'm not sure 0-4 and being beaten each time by 3 TDs or more is "well" :)

Edited by dkusma96, 18 September 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#15 OSH

All League

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

View Postdkusma96, on 18 September 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

High school sports isn't and shouldn't be a moneymaker. If the local fans strongly support their teams and they can break even, so be it. High school athletics is a part of educating young men and women.

Combining school's athletic teams? I wouldn't be in favor of that.

You hit on something with your last paragraph though. The state SHOULDN'T do anything. That's the problem: subsidizing stupidity. If local taxpayers will foot the bill for a new school, nice athletic facilities and extracurricular activities for a small district, GOOD FOR THEM. If they do not, then they will be forced to cut programs or consolidate.

What's wrong with consolidating athletic teams? It's done elsewhere, why should Ohio be any different? Sometimes it is nice to get some extra bodies there. Sometimes it's nice to get some extra support from fans/family.

Let's take Arlington for example. Let's just say they keep their school operating but they allow their boys soccer players to play at Cory-Rawson or Bluffton. Wouldn't there be a big benefit there for both programs? Seems to me there would be. The other thing it does is bring communities together. Could you imagine a few communities rallying behind several programs? I was fortunate enough to come from a one-high school county, it's awesome to have a whole county with several communities supporting us. Problem is...it was such a poor area we didn't have the capabilities to improve a lot of facilities like I've seen around here.

There's too many schools in Ohio. There are also too many athletic programs that are struggling in various ways. Consolidation is vital in being good stewards with the tax money.

Edited by OSH, 18 September 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#16 dkusma96

All State

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

View PostOSH, on 18 September 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

What's wrong with consolidating athletic teams? It's done elsewhere, why should Ohio be any different? Sometimes it is nice to get some extra bodies there. Sometimes it's nice to get some extra support from fans/family.

Let's take Arlington for example. Let's just say they keep their school operating but they allow their boys soccer players to play at Cory-Rawson or Bluffton. Wouldn't there be a big benefit there for both programs? Seems to me there would be. The other thing it does is bring communities together. Could you imagine a few communities rallying behind several programs? I was fortunate enough to come from a one-high school county, it's awesome to have a whole county with several communities supporting us. Problem is...it was such a poor area we didn't have the capabilities to improve a lot of facilities like I've seen around here.

There's too many schools in Ohio. There are also too many athletic programs that are struggling in various ways. Consolidation is vital in being good stewards with the tax money.

What's wrong with consolidating athletic teams? On a practical matter, quite a bit. To me, the more kids playing sports the better.

If you look at per pupil spending, rural schools like most of those in NWO spend less then their suburban and urban counterparts.

#17 OSH

All League

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

View Postdkusma96, on 18 September 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

What's wrong with consolidating athletic teams? On a practical matter, quite a bit. To me, the more kids playing sports the better.

If you look at per pupil spending, rural schools like most of those in NWO spend less then their suburban and urban counterparts.

Not even going to touch the topic of the money spent per pupil with rural/suburban/urban locations.

There's nothing saying that consolidating teams limits the amount of kids playing. It can actually help them. Look at the Arlington soccer situation. Those kids cannot play an OHSAA schedule or teams. Yet, there are teams struggling with numbers (P-G and Cory, for instance)...how much could those Arlington boys help those programs? Now, I know it's not ideal for every school and every program, but it could help certain areas/schools/programs.

I am sure there are several other schools and programs that can be thrown in this discussion too. Those are just a few that come to my mind.

#18 von

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Member No.: 1604

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:38 PM

View PostOSH, on 18 September 2011 - 08:04 PM, said:

Not even going to touch the topic of the money spent per pupil with rural/suburban/urban locations. There's nothing saying that consolidating teams limits the amount of kids playing. It can actually help them. Look at the Arlington soccer situation. Those kids cannot play an OHSAA schedule or teams. Yet, there are teams struggling with numbers (P-G and Cory, for instance)...how much could those Arlington boys help those programs? Now, I know it's not ideal for every school and every program, but it could help certain areas/schools/programs. I am sure there are several other schools and programs that can be thrown in this discussion too. Those are just a few that come to my mind.

OSH, Great idea, why not let kids play at other schools if they do not have that sport. I did not know they did that, it must be like club ball, we have that out here with hockey and Lacrosse. I remember a couple years ago, a kid from Kalida, played football at another school and came back to Kalida for BB or Baseball. I could be wrong. There has to be some changes...

#19 OSH

All League

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:34 AM

View Postvon, on 18 September 2011 - 11:38 PM, said:

OSH, Great idea, why not let kids play at other schools if they do not have that sport. I did not know they did that, it must be like club ball, we have that out here with hockey and Lacrosse. I remember a couple years ago, a kid from Kalida, played football at another school and came back to Kalida for BB or Baseball. I could be wrong. There has to be some changes...

I don't know how much it happens in sanctioned sports, I guess. I've seen schools share athletes, but thinking on it, it's been in non sanctioned sports within a state. So it is like club.

But, I do know that consolidating programs is done in many states in order to get the right number of players -- for a sanctioned sport. They usually agree to a contract on how long the co-op or consolidating is, probably around 2-5 years. The schools share student athletes for a variety of sports, they can even play home games at the two different schools if need-be or applicable. It's actually worked out VERY well when and where I've seen it. They even had a new mascot for the consolidated programs (it was Seahawks, but they got it out of a combination of a couple of the schools involved...somehow and someway -- it was cool though).

I would be against it if it caused any sort of "cuts" within an athletic team, but I have never seen that. That actually defeats the purpose of combining programs to field an athletic team.

Edited by OSH, 19 September 2011 - 12:34 AM.

#20 JAB

All State

• Members
  • 947 posts

Member No.: 410

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

View Postvon, on 18 September 2011 - 11:38 PM, said:

Yes that did happen the kid played football at McComb.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users