79 replies to this topic

#21 ninjaX

All District

• Members
  • 125 posts

Member No.: 2689

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (ToffeeMan @ Sep 30 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had a lot of Vogel's, but not quite that many...no Josh Vogel smile.gif I'll add Alex Gil on that list along with a VERY good GK Ben Thomas.

Great MFs get overlooked too unless they are goal-scoring MFs. Zidane scored some goals, but could never be considered a goal-scoring MF. He is however one of the 5 greatest players ever. Beckenbauer, Bobby Moore, so many greats that didn't score goals while there are FWs that score many goals but would never be considered great players, only great goal scorers & there's a big difference.

maybe someday you will have a josh vogel.. it could be a sign pickles.gif
Beets, Bears, Battle Star Galactica!

#22 nwsoccerfan1

All District

• Members
  • 116 posts

Member No.: 2701

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

VBwatcher- I second that vote for Etherton. Heck of a defender that easily could have gotten POY

Gil was a heck of a defender also. Very physical and an exceptional distributer.

I hate to say it (being a striker myself), but i do believe defenders need to get some more votes for POY

Edited by nwsoccerfan1, 05 October 2009 - 06:01 PM.

#23 Vbwatcher

All League

• Members
  • 63 posts

Member No.: 2830

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:44 AM

HAHAHA sorry toffeeman i dont know why i put "josh vogel" theres been so many vogels over there i cant remember, again my apologies

#24 ToffeeMan

All State

• Members
  • 713 posts

Member No.: 2630

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

No need for apologies vb, truth be told I'd take as many Vogels as I can get.

In fact, a lot of the success we've had has been due to the fact that I've had a steady stream of Big Brothers followed by Little Brothers and/ or cousins. We've had the Vogels (Matt followed by cousins Keith & TJ), the Grants (Bobby & Jon), the Eathertons (Josh & Eric), the Gils (Alex & Andrew), the Becks (Devin, then Jaron & now Kelson along with cousin Dylan in goal), the Kellers (Lucas & Jacob) the Thomas's (Adam & Ben, both GKs), the Musgraves (Kevin "Bite Your Legs" & Ryan) the Radebaughs (Ryan & Cory), the Van Attas (Justin & Jared) the Shucks (Dan & Bryan) and I sure hope that I'm not forgetting anyone. That 's a pretty impressive list of players. We currently have the Weatherholtz boys (Kent & Tyler) playing currently and need to add the Beavers boys (Jordan & Joel). One season, 9 of 11 starters were either brothers or 1st cousins.

#25 Vbwatcher

All League

• Members
  • 63 posts

Member No.: 2830

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:48 AM

wow....now that is pretty impressive i must say!!

#26 formercoach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Member No.: 2089

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

I never had that many brothers. Cousins all over the place, but not brothers...

#27 The Assessor

All League

• Members
  • 20 posts

Member No.: 4998

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (Billwouldrather @ Sep 29 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you score a lot of goals against a bad team, does that make him a GREAT player?

No.

Is he good?

Yes.

POY?

Normally it'll go to a player that is on the 1st place team. And Upper has already lost to VB and VB and Riverdale have yet to lose or tie in the NCOSA. Anyone can still get it.

Agreed. Skillman may have 27 goals on the season right now (give or take a few), but if you look at the teams Upper has played, I don't find this very impressive. I mean sure, Tropf and Grant have scored against bad teams, but at least they can score against the tougher teams that they scheduled too. And one other thing... if I remember right, Skillman didn't score against VB.

#28 Theodore

All District

• Members
  • 353 posts

Member No.: 3752

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (The Assessor @ Oct 9 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. Skillman may have 27 goals on the season right now (give or take a few), but if you look at the teams Upper has played, I don't find this very impressive. I mean sure, Tropf and Grant have scored against bad teams, but at least they can score against the tougher teams that they scheduled too. And one other thing... if I remember right, Skillman didn't score against VB.

And Troph didn't score against Lima Temple UNTIL they put the 2nd string defense in towards the end of the game.....
"Not All Pain is Gain"

#29 baller93

All District

• Members
  • 107 posts

Member No.: 4941

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:05 PM

skillman scored 6 goals against River Valley (who isnt a very tough team)

#30 fouledout

All League

• Members
  • 24 posts

Member No.: 3849

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

Are you kidding me?!?! Are we gonna really argue about who has scored against better teams. In years past this would be a legit argument, but this year competition is very weak all around! I've played against both Tropf and Skillman, Skillman is the better player hands down. Both are good players but neither has great leadership skills like previous POYs.

Skillman- He has very good ball skills and a great first touch. He is physical and can rip a shot from far out with great accuracy.

Tropf- He is quick and fast. He is pushed around much easier bc of lack of strength. He has a better supporting cast than Skillman. He has a good shot but not a great one.

My vote doesn't count in the end, but even though VB will probably end up winning NCOSA, I do not think Tropf should get it. He has done very little to prove himself as a top tier player. He has been riding on momentum of his name being mentioned in previous years. Skillman with 27 or so goals with some games remaining is my choice for POY. You just cant argue with those stats.

#31 KSA Soccer25

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Member No.: 5006

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (Theodore @ Oct 9 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Troph didn't score against Lima Temple UNTIL they put the 2nd string defense in towards the end of the game.....

The Lima Temple vs VB was a good tough game and Lima DID still have their starters in towrads the end of the game im 99.9 percent sure. As it was a 2-1 game? And Tropf still managed to score with one or two ppl marking him the whole game... so thats a good player if ive ever heard of one.

#32 baller93

All District

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

thats why i started saying skillman should be in the disscusion whistling.gif

#33 Billwouldrather

All District

• Members
  • 411 posts

Member No.: 2710

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

Skillman has finally scored on a good team.

But I think Tropf will win. He is a good all around player. Very solid.

#34 Theodore

All District

• Members
  • 353 posts

Member No.: 3752

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (KSA Soccer25 @ Oct 10 2009, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Lima Temple vs VB was a good tough game and Lima DID still have their starters in towrads the end of the game im 99.9 percent sure. As it was a 2-1 game? And Tropf still managed to score with one or two ppl marking him the whole game... so thats a good player if ive ever heard of one.

He had one player mark him most of the game and held him scoreless...he scored when that player was taken off him. A good defender will win every time.
"Not All Pain is Gain"

#35 SirSpeedy

All League

• Members
  • 45 posts

Member No.: 5008

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

If I remember the LTC vs. VB game correctly, the player that was marking Tropf was KNOCKED-OFF of Topf by a VB teammate?! However, the shot Trof made as a result of that was excellent!

Edited by SirSpeedy, 10 October 2009 - 11:05 PM.

#36 baller93

All District

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

riverdale beat vb 3-1, and grant had 2 goals and i think tropf had 1, so with that i say that grant deserves the POY cool.gif

#37 Billwouldrather

All District

• Members
  • 411 posts

Member No.: 2710

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (fouledout @ Oct 10 2009, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you kidding me?!?! Are we gonna really argue about who has scored against better teams. In years past this would be a legit argument, but this year competition is very weak all around! I've played against both Tropf and Skillman, Skillman is the better player hands down. Both are good players but neither has great leadership skills like previous POYs.

Skillman- He has very good ball skills and a great first touch. He is physical and can rip a shot from far out with great accuracy.

Tropf- He is quick and fast. He is pushed around much easier bc of lack of strength. He has a better supporting cast than Skillman. He has a good shot but not a great one.

My vote doesn't count in the end, but even though VB will probably end up winning NCOSA, I do not think Tropf should get it. He has done very little to prove himself as a top tier player. He has been riding on momentum of his name being mentioned in previous years. Skillman with 27 or so goals with some games remaining is my choice for POY. You just cant argue with those stats.

I just read your post tonight,

Skillman scored 6 or 7 on River Valley, wow. Look out for that great star!

dry.gif

#38 ToffeeMan

All State

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:17 PM

And Tropf's shot is much better than you give him credit for. Only seen him 3 times this year & was dangerous in each contest he played scoring in each game and if it weren't for very good GKing from Miller City he would've hit for 3 that night.

#39 knightmare07

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Member No.: 2307

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Good win Toffee. At least it wasn't Ada again ha ha ha (just kidding formercoach)

#40 ToffeeMan

All State

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

Thanks knightmare

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users