Shot Clock or Not!!!!!!

16 replies to this topic

#1 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

What is your thoughts on this at the high school level.....also explain why you feel this way....or, don’t give a reason at all....this topic comes up every season, but with less traffic on here it probably has been awhile.....just trying to create intelligent conversation!!!!!!’

#2 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:41 PM

I'm not sold on the idea. Sure some teams (Holgate) should be forced to use a shot clock, but I'm not sure if it's warranted overall. I haven't seen a team in a long time that took more than 40 seconds (which is what it would likely be). There are a lot of low scores but I'm not sure it means the shot clock would help....it just means teams aren't scoring or don't have guys to handle running an offense. Any team that is using 40 seconds at a time probably just isn't very good....and what difference would it make if they chuck up a junk shot at the shot clock buzzer....still not likely to put any points on the board that trip down the floor.

#3 Rocketman

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 13,147 posts

Member No.: 3
  • Location:down by the Riley, getting ready for the smallmouth!

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

Nooooooooo to a "shot clock"......a good 36-34 game every now and then cleanses the soul. With the dearth of real jumpshooters today a defensive slugfest with plenty of hand-checking, hacking, shorts pulling, and a few high elbows makes it interesting....Noooooo shot clock!!
home to the "Flounder & Rocketman's" Girls HS rankings

#4 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

View Postflounder, on 03 February 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

What is your thoughts on this at the high school level.....also explain why you feel this way....or, don't give a reason at all....this topic comes up every season, but with less traffic on here it probably has been awhile.....just trying to create intelligent conversation!!!!!!'

"intelligent conversation". That's cute.

How many seconds? I'd guess few teams routinely take more than 20-30 seconds to take a shot already. Even a 30 second shot clock would give teams possibly only 8 possessions per quarter. What is the offensive average of teams in states that have a shot clock? College teams with talented players play 40 minutes with a 30 second shot clock. What is their average score? In my opinion a shot clock will do little to nothing to change the scoring average. Only the coaches can change scoring.

I just got video highlights of DSJ's 1976 team. NO touching on defense. NO mugging in the lane. Lots of run and gun and very few long shots. Average 80+ points a game. It was an offensive mindset. Today it's a defensive mindset. If they can't score they can't beat us.

#5 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Bobby....

Just trying to liven up the place a bit....appreciate your intelligent post which I agree with....also agree with Rocketman and Charlie......you all have very good points...I really haven’t given much thought yet and will return!!!!!

#6 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

View Postflounder, on 03 February 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

Bobby....

Just trying to liven up the place a bit....appreciate your intelligent post which I agree with....also agree with Rocketman and Charlie......you all have very good points...I really haven't given much thought yet and will return!!!!!

Thanks. It's a better topic than "My Rankings Are Better Than Yours!" :)

#7 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

View PostBobby, on 03 February 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

Thanks. It's a better topic than "My Rankings Are Better Than Yours!" :)

Lol........I think you are right!!!!!

By the way.....just looked up the lowest score in a college game with the shot clock....41-21, so those in favor of the clock might still be in for low scoring games....let’s not forget that the skill level isn’t even close between high school and college!!!!!

#8 Maltese Falcon

Hall of Fame

• [M] Moderator
  • 4,901 posts

Member No.: 28

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

with a shot clock you will just get more blowouts. Bad teams that can't score would just be forced to rush their offense and rush shots and that plays into the hands of the better teams, hence more lopsided scores. No, high school basketball would not improve with a shot clock.

Now take away the 3pt. line.........

#9 Rusty Shackleford

All District

• Members
  • 318 posts

Member No.: 9458

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

If you don't want teams like Holgate to hold the ball, then don't let them. The defense has a say in this as well...

#10 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Member No.: 212

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

Clearly a shot clock all the other levels do. And even some states for high school use it now. I’m not sure how anyone could be against it unless you are old school and I say that in the most polite way. Nobody wants to see someone hold the ball for minutes or just pass the ball around and around. Sure it may not happen much but it does. Everything now in sports is done faster. It’s time to get up to par with time. 40 second shot clock would be a good way to start. Helps prepare kids for the next level if they go.

The only downfall I see is the controversy and whether or not to reset it. Could be a problem at first but that’s like a lot of new unfamiliar things start out sometime

Edited by Mysterio, 04 February 2018 - 07:56 AM.

No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.

#11 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:48 AM

View PostRusty Shackleford, on 03 February 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

If you don't want teams like Holgate to hold the ball, then don't let them. The defense has a say in this as well...

Easier said than done though. You can’t prevent someone from holding the ball but you can’t always prevent teams who pass the ball around wasting clock.

#12 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

View PostMaltese Falcon, on 03 February 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

with a shot clock you will just get more blowouts. Bad teams that can't score would just be forced to rush their offense and rush shots and that plays into the hands of the better teams, hence more lopsided scores. No, high school basketball would not improve with a shot clock.

Now take away the 3pt. line.........

More blowouts? Maybe but if so then more playing time for the ones who don’t play.

#13 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

View PostRusty Shackleford, on 03 February 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

Rusty.....

Good point.....I once had a HOF coach sitting with me watching a high school game when the opposing team went into their so called 4 corners offense in order to run some time off the clock......coach said emphatically.......”looks like they are playing for the final turnover”.......I laughed, but after about 50 seconds they turned it over.....the other team went down scored and ended up winning. With defenses like they are today, you better be well coached and be able to handle the ball if you want to run time off!!!!

#14 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

I don’ think we need a shot clock in high school basketball....on kind of a funny note.....can you imagine a shot clock for high school girls.....omg!!!!!!!!

#15 General Tso

All State

• Members
  • 575 posts

Member No.: 9596

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:52 PM

View Postflounder, on 04 February 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

I don’ think we need a shot clock in high school basketball....on kind of a funny note.....can you imagine a shot clock for high school girls.....omg!!!!!!!!
What girls basketball needs is what's called continuous clock.

#16 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

View PostGeneral Tso, on 04 February 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

What girls basketball needs is what's called continuous clock.

Exactly.....never shut it off....even for free throws!!!!!

#17 Mysterio

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

Hey let’s take it easy on the girls. Some girls teams can be fun to watch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users