31 replies to this topic

#21 LimaJock

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Member No.: 1673

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:58 PM

View Postlepiota, on 23 February 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

I agrre he needs time, but the lack of practice is a concern. To shoot good, you have to shoot a lot.

What do you mean? Most teams scale back their practices due to the length and stress from a 22 game season. On tourney runs, I have seen teams go over scouting report, do shooting drills, and half speed some plays both off and def. One hour at most. LJ
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"

#22 Fall Ball

All League

• Members
  • 20 posts

Member No.: 9805

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:56 PM

I sure hope West Nile Virus is wrong and the team will in fact get better! We fans were spoiled the last few years by having such an athletic group, but I think this group is pretty athletic too. They do lack some of the height but are playing their most physical, highest jumping kid at point guard. I'm not sure what to make of that? I've been watching them for the past 20 or so years and plan to keep watching them for the next 20, God willing so I am hopeful that Allen has a method to what sometimes looks like madness! It is hard to watch them play worse now than they were at the beginning of the season, though. I don't know that there are easy answers or if Allen is to blame, it just seems like a tough situation.

I disagree that this group of boys doesn't play as much basketball as the last group...in fact, I think they play just as much as the other boys did. They have a few boys playing AAU and I think they've always played AYBT together in the summer. I think basketball actually is the number one sport for the majority of the boys who are seeing playing time this season. It does look to me that the boys are not adjusting well to Allen's style...a lot of sets, different clock management, etc. This is different than the run and gun, free shooting, free flowing type game they are used to playing. Also, the lack of practice I mentioned earlier has been a concern I have heard from the beginning of the season. I think the boys are used to being in the gym more but maybe Allen's philosophy places more emphasis on rest?

As for the two freshman starting now, I am guessing the person who made this comment doesn't go to the games and depends heavily on what they read the paper...the 2nd freshman who started this past Friday's game played a total of about 4 minutes the entire game. He started both halves but was the 1st one out and stayed out.

The team just doesn't look like they are playing as a team. Basketball is a long season, I am sure Allen and the boys are tired of not playing well and losing...hopefully they can get it going in the right direction sooner rather than later!

#23 Ghost of Obed

All District

• Members
  • 105 posts

Member No.: 9636

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:36 AM

View PostFall Ball, on 23 February 2015 - 10:56 PM, said:

As for the two freshman starting now, I am guessing the person who made this comment doesn't go to the games and depends heavily on what they read the paper...the 2nd freshman who started this past Friday's game played a total of about 4 minutes the entire game. He started both halves but was the 1st one out and stayed out.

as "the person that made this comment" I'd say him starting 2 freshman is more of a desire to see what's in the cabinet at this stage of the season (the freshman class is somewhat strong)...as for this being the primary sport for those boys, apparently you aren't aware that baseball is starting...I would say that's the "main sport" for most of those kids (except the Gough brothers and Ch. Clark)

I don't care how much AAU/AYBT they have played, it doesn't make anyone on that team taller or more physical in the paint, and that's where they get beat

...but I guess I got that analysis from the paper :)

#24 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostGhost of Obed, on 24 February 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

as "the person that made this comment" I'd say him starting 2 freshman is more of a desire to see what's in the cabinet at this stage of the season (the freshman class is somewhat strong)...as for this being the primary sport for those boys, apparently you aren't aware that baseball is starting...I would say that's the "main sport" for most of those kids (except the Gough brothers and Ch. Clark)

I don't care how much AAU/AYBT they have played, it doesn't make anyone on that team taller or more physical in the paint, and that's where they get beat

...but I guess I got that analysis from the paper :)
Pretty accurate, Obed. I'd guess when Shawn arrived, he felt like Old Mother Hubbard

#25 Fall Ball

All League

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:28 AM

Fair points....debatable but fair! Isn't Renner's number 1 sport also basketball? I believe Cam Clark is the only one who is a baseball first fellow out of the kids who are seeing a lot of playing time. I don't know that Burkholder has a number one sport?

Also, any insight into why Burkholder (strong, physical, explosive jumper) is bringing the ball up instead of being used as a post presence since that seems to be such a weakness for this team?

#26 Ghost of Obed

All District

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostFall Ball, on 24 February 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

Also, any insight into why Burkholder (strong, physical, explosive jumper) is bringing the ball up instead of being used as a post presence since that seems to be such a weakness for this team?

^^^ that is the question I've been asking all year. Dylan is such a scrappy player in the paint.

as for why he's bringing up the ball, I can only imagine it's the lack of a good ball handling PG that sees the floor well...maybe that's why Frey started (but as you said, played very little)

I don't know how to fix Bath boys basketball, I know talent is thin and player commitment is questionable. I'm not saying Shawn Allen is the answer, i just know it's way too early to write him off.

#27 Ghost of Obed

All District

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:16 AM

View Postlepiota, on 24 February 2015 - 08:07 AM, said:

Pretty accurate, Obed. I'd guess when Shawn arrived, he felt like Old Mother Hubbard

once these underclassmen get some games under their belt it'll rebound...maybe not to the level is has been but to be competitive in the WBL
people fail to recognize what a talent and hardwork players like Taren Sullivan, Atkins, Gossard, etc were...those kind of kids don't come around every year.

Kaden Sullivan has shown signs of brilliance
Renner, Chase Clark and H Gough are all good pure shooters..
you've got a prospective true PG in Frey

it'll get better. Fingers crossed.

#28 Dman

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Member No.: 1225

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

I surmise that had the Lord Jesus Christ coached Bath this year they were a 3-7 win team. Allen coached them to 5 wins so far. Coaching is not a limiting factor there. Unrealistic expectations may be.
I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

#29 DC/MS

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,304 posts

Member No.: 1707

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

Well put, Dman
awjeez.jpgawjeez.jpg

#30 lepiota

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Member No.: 5013

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostDman, on 24 February 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

I surmise that had the Lord Jesus Christ coached Bath this year they were a 3-7 win team. Allen coached them to 5 wins so far. Coaching is not a limiting factor there. Unrealistic expectations may be.
I'm sure if JC was coach, they would only have two losses. (That would be DSJ, and depending on the percentage of Catholics on the roster that year , LCC).

Team meals would be much cheaper because parents would take turns bringing just one meal and Coach would, of course, multiply it.

He would employ the 4 corners offense because he would like the shape it makes

#31 Fall Ball

All League

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

I love the sense of humor! We'll see how it goes tonight as the team makes up its' game with Grove.

#32 West Nile Virus

All League

• Members
  • 68 posts

Member No.: 1313

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

View PostFall Ball, on 23 February 2015 - 10:56 PM, said:

They do lack some of the height but are playing their most physical, highest jumping kid at point guard. I'm not sure what to make of that?

Early in Allen's time at LSH his best player was a 6' 4" forward with pretty good ball skills but he was no point guard. Despite that fact, he most often brought the ball up court and set the offense. Opposing teams figured out he was not good enough to penetrate the lane on his own and he was reluctant to pass so we started seeing teams configure their defense to bottle him up out front. He could not get to the rim and was forced to pass, not because a teammate was open but he had no other choice and he was never a rebounding factor. Tyler White was a freshman this kid's senior year. When White became the main man, same thing happened. White was a better ball handler but teams were running zones designed to put two defenders on him at all times and keep him away from the paint. The rest of the team would stand in place around the perimeter and watch White try to get free. There was no ball rotation other than the cursory pass around the 3 point line. Never got better.
Isn't the definition of insanity to do the same thing over and over and expect different results? I'll say it again, Good Luck

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users