Awaken you wimp arse posters!

16 replies to this topic

#1 limajock2

All League

• Members
  • 67 posts

Member No.: 9837

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

The one and only jockstrap needs brave souls who think they can debate sports with me. I know you know it will eventually lead to you bowing to my verbiage, but what the heck. Let's have fun.

Edited by limajock2, 01 March 2017 - 10:18 PM.

#2 MCguy

All State

• Members
  • 909 posts

Member No.: 103

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:51 AM

Northwest District Athletic Board wants to go to "higher-seed hosts" for basketball sectionals like they went to for fall and spring sports. The higher seed of each game in the first round would host their own game (Districts would then be at neutral sites).

My opinion, hate it. Tournament atmosphere would be diminished greatly. Too much of an advantage for home team, especially for teams playing on college length courts, or just weird set-ups and floors like Temple Christian or Jefferson.

I reckon it's all about the money and these other logical factors don't matter.

#3 moe_ szyslak

All District

• Members
  • 416 posts

Member No.: 4890

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostMCguy, on 02 March 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

Northwest District Athletic Board wants to go to "higher-seed hosts" for basketball sectionals like they went to for fall and spring sports. The higher seed of each game in the first round would host their own game (Districts would then be at neutral sites).

My opinion, hate it. Tournament atmosphere would be diminished greatly. Too much of an advantage for home team, especially for teams playing on college length courts, or just weird set-ups and floors like Temple Christian or Jefferson.

I reckon it's all about the money and these other logical factors don't matter.

Last year two Toledo schools drove all the way to Lexington to play each other b/c of the full district format. The current format works for smaller schools, but in tourney districts that are spread out, this makes the most sense (to play at home)

#4 Hagen

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Member No.: 7010

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

View PostMCguy, on 02 March 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

Northwest District Athletic Board wants to go to "higher-seed hosts" for basketball sectionals like they went to for fall and spring sports. The higher seed of each game in the first round would host their own game (Districts would then be at neutral sites). ...
100% in favor of this.
  • Football has it for the first round. Volleyball, soccer, etc... Especially with football and soccer, turf has more of an effect on a game than the length of a basketball court can. It's not like basketball would be played on an entirely different surface. Other sports have different dimensions for playing surfaces. Nothing new.
  • It actually gives the higher seed a real advantage for being ranked higher, rather than getting a horrible matchup against a lower-seeded team that choose you. Not having to travel is another perk to having a better regular season than someone else. Why should 22 games be wiped out come tournament time.
  • It would save on travel costs by only having one team travel, rather than two.
  • It's only for sectionals. It's not like their moving regional finals to the higher-seeded school.

Edited by Hagen, 02 March 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#5 flounder

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 9,010 posts

Member No.: 23

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

View Postlimajock2, on 01 March 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

The one and only jockstrap needs brave souls who think they can debate sports with me. I know you know it will eventually lead to you bowing to my verbiage, but what the heck. Let's have fun.

I want no part of limajock2........I have learned from past experience!!!!!!!!

#6 charliesheen

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Member No.: 8871

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

Don't like the idea....especially since so many teams in this area start the tourney playing a team they already played during the season (some twice). The current set up is fine....let #1 choose first, 2 second, etc.....it works, why change it?

#7 tunnelvision

All State

• Members
  • 580 posts

Member No.: 9487

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:42 PM

Im also 100% in favor of the higher seed hosting. One could argue in a lot of places home court advantage doesnt really matter, and I doubt there will be much complaining from Hardin Northern if they had to play at Waynesfield in front of their raucous crowd

#8 limajock2

All League

• Members
  • 67 posts

Member No.: 9837

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

View Postflounder, on 02 March 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

I want no part of limajock2........I have learned from past experience!!!!!!!!

Aw shucks, I have mellowed allot. There will be no visible bruises. :coffee:

#9 Coach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,072 posts

Member No.: 15

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

At first, thought the idea was a bad one but the more thinking I do on this I would say it is a good idea. You are rewarding teams for a good record. If a team plays in a tough league or conference it might change who they pick to play. (either good or bad) It does cost a lot of money to rent gyms and so forth and it needs to be looked at as a serious consideration. Try it, see if it works and go from there. Every game should start at 7:00/7:30 and be played on the same night of the first round.

#10 waterloowonder

All State

• Members
  • 532 posts

Member No.: 5547

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

Maybe..... It is worth exploring.... As long as the host school has a regulation size floor (84 to 94 ft. long and 50 ft. wide). Most school do, but a few don't.

#11 fortfan

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Member No.: 3645

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

Not saying I am totally against it but I would hate to open the tournament with playing DSJ at DSJ. Visiting team would get what 50 tickets at the most? Same with New Knoxville's gym.

I do remember the 1st year baseball did this. Lincolnview earned a home game, but the AD refused to host it so DSJ got the home game.

#12 paperboy

All State

• Members
  • 508 posts

Member No.: 544

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

^^^ I believe in a tournament game the tickets would be evenly split, wouldn't they? I'd go straight for the theater seats at the Vatican! :punk:

#13 Common Sense

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Member No.: 5859

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

If you had plenty of schools wanting to host tournaments, then fine. But that's not the case. Go to the higher seed hosts first round games (if they want, if not the visitor hosts). It's not what we prefer, it's what works.

#14 BBCAT

All District

• Members
  • 134 posts

Member No.: 5111

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:34 PM

There is no way you could let Delphos Jefferson host a tournament game. Court is way to small and locker rooms are the pits. Neutral sites
are the best way to be fair.

#15 Warren

All District

• Members
  • 120 posts

Member No.: 2434

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostCommon Sense, on 10 March 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

If you had plenty of schools wanting to host tournaments, then fine. But that's not the case. Go to the higher seed hosts first round games (if they want, if not the visitor hosts). It's not what we prefer, it's what works.

This is true. Very few schools want to host anymore because there are few advantages to doing so. Higher seed hosting has been a real success in other sports. Plus NWDAB has been losing money since allowing teams to pick the location of their sectional. Having higher seeds host at least guarantees a good home crowd.

View PostBBCAT, on 10 March 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

There is no way you could let Delphos Jefferson host a tournament game. Court is way to small and locker rooms are the pits. Neutral sites
are the best way to be fair.

If they can play 1st round football games on that field at that time of year, they can host basketball games.

#16 Bobby

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Member No.: 71

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

So if a school hosts a game, is it treated like a regular season game with reserved seats and the home school keeps all the ticket and concession money?

#17 Warren

All District

• Members
  • 120 posts

Member No.: 2434

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostBobby, on 11 March 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

So if a school hosts a game, is it treated like a regular season game with reserved seats and the home school keeps all the ticket and concession money?

The District will pay the home school a fee to rent the facility. All concessions and parking go to the home school. All ticket sales go to NW District and OHSAA. Reserved seats and any school passes are void.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users