Minster District 110HH qualifiers all to state

7 replies to this topic

#1 silverwings

All District

• Members
  • 265 posts

Member No.: 815

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

The top 4 hurdlers of the Minster District were the top 4 hurdlers at the Regional meet, and are now among the top 16 hurdlers in the state.

Good luck to senior Gray Horn of W-G (who set a new regional record at 14.31), senior Bryce Bergman of New Bremen (14.86 at regional), junior Tim Sanders of Delphos Jeff (15.13 at regional) and senior Patrick Reichert of St Henry (15.15 at regional).

Another interesting point is that 8 of the top 9 hurdlers are from either Tiffin or Dayton region - and if you trace it back 6 of those athletes are either from the Spencerville or Minster district - great hurdling in West Central Ohio!

Good luck!
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run to win, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you get the prize! 1 Cor 9:23

#2 Wiser2life

All District

• Members
  • 282 posts

Member No.: 2623

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

silverwings...it is also interesting to note that in the 300 meter hurdles, 3 of the 4 from the Minster district made it to state in that event. Nickles and Bergman are the top 2 hurdlers, but this year the field looks tougher than last years. Sanders is the only one to beat Nickles this season, and will no longer have the 2 relays to run before the 300's, but Nickles is running extremely well right now....so is Bergman. I think both Bergman and Sanders will make it interesting for Nickles repeating. The Thierry kid from New London is running about as well, and Geckle from continental beat Nickles at last years regionals.
It's going to be a fun couple of races this weekend. The first test is that qualifying round....man it should be tough to get into the top 8. Probably take a 39.5 or better to get into the top 8 for Friday. The heat will be a factor...no doubt!

#3 silverwings

All District

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

Wiser2 - good point on the 300s - Nickles, Sanders, and Bergman will definitely fight it out - Geckle, Thierry, and Snyder from Buckeye Trail will make it interesting. Hoge of Gilmour Academy is at 39.94, and he has a huge incentive - any points he gets puts GA closer to knocking-off Bluffton.

Will be an exciting final - my picks for the final 8

Heat 1
Nickles (CG), Geckle (Continental), Hoge (GA), Hutchins (Sugar Grove)

Heat 2
Bergman (NB), Sanders (DJ), Thierry (New London), Snyder (Buckeye Trail)

Edited by silverwings, 05 June 2008 - 11:38 AM.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run to win, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you get the prize! 1 Cor 9:23

#4 Wiser2life

All District

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:56 AM

The wildcard in it all is the heat index and who is acclimatized the best, or is the smartest about staying cool for as long as possible, especially in the 300's. The high hurdles race will also be a dandy. There are seven 14 second hurdlers....some years there might be 4-5....this is a good crop of hurdlers for division III (strange to say it that way I know). Did GA drop down a division to III? Maybe my thinking is off on that....but they do look loaded in both boys and girls teams.

#5 silverwings

All District

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

Gilmour Academy has been D-III back through at least 2001 (I looked on the OHSAA past results page) - but they still have about 160 boys. They have a good sprinter (junior) Hallal, a good distance man (senior) Schoenhagen, a good thrower (I think senior) Vala, and a hurdler (junior Hoge) - and a 4x400 and 4x200 relay - solid team with good coaching.

Some of the 'slower' 300m hurdlers are not in other events or events before the 300 (Sessler, Goettemoeller, Miller, Kinnamon, Sims in 4x400, Hoggard in LJ on Friday) - I don't think the rest will help them much, though.

Geckle has no other events but the 300 and is in my opinion, a "contender" - he should be 'most rested' - we'll see if it helps him.

Bergman has 110HH before, then the 4x400 and LJ on Friday; Farkas has the 110HH and the 4x100, Hoge is in the 4x200; Sanders in the 110HH, Snyder and Hutchins has the 110HH, Nickles in 110HH and PV on Friday - it will be interesting to see if any of these events combined with the heat affects these runners.

I'd say Bergman demonstrated his fitness back at Minster during the 300m "rerun" - he won after giving a great effort in the 4x400 - we'll see soon!

Time for talk is over - down to Columbus to see the races!

Go western Ohio athletes!

Edited by silverwings, 05 June 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#6 slice slice baby

Stinkys Legend

• [A] Administrator
  • 38,681 posts

Member No.: 1137

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:26 AM

Best wishes to all of the athletes, but extra special luck to our local athletes....Everyone have a great race & stay healthy!

"Forever never seems that long ~~until you're grown"
Bandido- November 24, 1957- August 12th, 2011.....RIP, my good friend... things will never be the same here without you. :(
Gonemad -June 26th, 1962-May 13th, 2008
sliceslicebaby@facebook.com
sliceslicebaby@twitter.com

#7 Wiser2life

All District

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

played out close to what we thought in the 300s....Bergman...Nickles...Sanders....all battling for the title.....38.49, 38.86, 38.95. Good job NW ohio hurdlers.

#8 tigerball13

Stinkys Legend

• Members
  • 6,537 posts

Member No.: 764

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:57 PM

The Iceman was amazing in the 110s and the 300s.....It was truly a shame to not see Gray Horn in the 110s and no height in pole vault......(sarcasm)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users