Xavier Simpson with 59 tonight!

89 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan87

All State

• Members
  • 768 posts

Member No.: 571

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:49 PM

In a 103-57 win over Fremont Ross. Also had 8 assists and five steals. SPARTANS in action again Friday night vs Hazelwood East (MO). In the second game of the Kewpee classic...
I am a Spartan, as was my father before me.

Lima Warriors
2007 USFA Champions
2007 MLFN 1AA National Champions
2010 HFL Champions
2010 AFNT AA National Champions
2010 Inductee Lima Warriors Hall of Fame

#2 rallyinthe9th

All State

• Members
  • 629 posts

Member No.: 706

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:46 AM

Wow! I can't remember a game like that in a long time. Diebler had some big ones and I think may have hit 60 something at least once.

#3 Hagen

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Member No.: 7010

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostSpartan87, on 15 December 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:

In a 103-57 win over Fremont Ross...

View Postrallyinthe9th, on 16 December 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

Wow! I can't remember a game like that in a long time. Diebler had some big ones and I think may have hit 60 something at least once.
1. He should've been pulled long before he saw 59 points. He was left in to run it up. Senior led 81-47 at the end of the 3rd & the starters continued to push the score until he broke it middle of the 4Q. I'm not saying put in JV/freshmen or stall the clock out, but put the next 5 role players in. If they score, so be it. You shouldn't get those kind of records against a team you're punishing by 50+ points.
2. Diebler had 77 at Tiffin Columbian... in a 105-100 overtime win (side note: Tiffin kid had 52p that same game for his school record). A little different than beating up a crap team for a records' sake.

Edited by Hagen, 16 December 2015 - 12:17 PM.

#4 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Member No.: 9232

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

View Postmysteryman2014, on 16 December 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

Wow that sounds kind of like Kill from LCC.
He was up by 15 or more in 4th quarter against OG and his starters didnt come out even after OG pulled theirs.
and continued to play them until final buzzer.
But Kill is a Jack @$$.He made a comment after Ref called foul on one his guys that kid from OG couldnt even tie his own shoes let alone draw that foul. How disrespectful.
I will not be surprised if he quits coaching after this year.
The talent he has coming up is very weak.
Kill has won by the talent he has had over the last 3-4 years.<p>Kimbrough, Simpson, Cobb

Wow! I read this and felt like I've read it somewhere before! Is your name Pete?
Wow! I read this and felt like I've read it somewhere before! Is your name Pete?Wow! I read this and felt like I've read it somewhere before! Is your name Pete?

#5 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

There is nothing wrong with this. What makes one believe that to score 60pts. there has to be an opposing player score a similar amount and the score must be close? Don't forget there are fans in the stands, fans pay money to see a good game. When you have a DI PG and one of the tops in the country people are going to want to see this. You can't pay for a whole lot of wrestling mats and soccer balls with 200 people in the crowd.

#6 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

He sat the last 5 minutes of the game too. Wow. Big #s

#7 Coach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,072 posts

Member No.: 15

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:26 PM

I would have let him play the whole game. I am sick and tired of people thinking that we need to be on the losers end. If you can't stop him then get better, recruit or quit coaching.

Why is it when a team is ahead by 20 and everybody yells that the coach is a real a-- because he doesn't sub. I will tell you who the real jerk is, it's the coach that is losing doesn't sub first. The winning team subs and what does the losing team do right away? Press to make the score look respectable. This is garbage.

We are a bunch of enablers, come on in and play Johnny. Johnny should have been cut from the team to begin with.

#8 StudentOfTheGame

All District

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:44 PM

View PostCoach, on 16 December 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

I would have let him play the whole game. I am sick and tired of people thinking that we need to be on the losers end. If you can't stop him then get better, recruit or quit coaching.

Why is it when a team is ahead by 20 and everybody yells that the coach is a real a-- because he doesn't sub. I will tell you who the real jerk is, it's the coach that is losing doesn't sub first. The winning team subs and what does the losing team do right away? Press to make the score look respectable. This is garbage.

We are a bunch of enablers, come on in and play Johnny. Johnny should have been cut from the team to begin with.

Ding ding ding ding ding

#9 FlightCrew

All State

• Members
  • 519 posts

Member No.: 9467

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:01 AM

How often ya see that?

#10 rallyinthe9th

All State

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:53 AM

If the team I root for is up 25 and subs, I don't mind them still getting pressed. I think it gives the younger kids more time to practice. It may mean leaving a starter or two in longer, but who cares what the other team/coach does. In my opinion, the coach losing big should do everything in his power to make sure his team plays hard.

I hate seeing coaches and teams that give up. Intensity should be the same no matter the score.

#11 Ghost of Obed

All District

• Members
  • 105 posts

Member No.: 9636

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:08 AM

View PostHagen, on 16 December 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

1. He should've been pulled long before he saw 59 points. He was left in to run it up. Senior led 81-47 at the end of the 3rd & the starters continued to push the score until he broke it middle of the 4Q. I'm not saying put in JV/freshmen or stall the clock out, but put the next 5 role players in. If they score, so be it. You shouldn't get those kind of records against a team you're punishing by 50+ points.

...maybe we should all pitch in and get Fremont some participation trophies.

#12 Ghost of Obed

All District

• Members
  • 105 posts

Member No.: 9636

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:09 AM

best quote in the whole thread

hats off...mic drop...great post

#13 Coach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

While on am on my rant, I will tell you another thing. Kids aren't stupid. You start pulling kids just because you get a good size lead I will tell you they will not play as hard. They want to stay in the game. I don't know about anyone else but I want my kids playing as hard as they can all the time. If it creats a big lead so be it. It is like we are punishing the players for being good, we take them out! I say when the team that is behind subs, that is when I sub and not before. I will also tell you 2 years ago I saw a team with a 19 point lead going into the 4th quarter and the coach subed all five players to start the 4th quarter. They lost by 1 point. They wanted to run him out out that night! Comments that were made about him should not be printed here. Just remember “nice guys finish last”

#14 Hagen

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostCoach, on 17 December 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

While on am on my rant, I will tell you another thing. Kids aren't stupid. You start pulling kids just because you get a good size lead I will tell you they will not play as hard. They want to stay in the game. I don't know about anyone else but I want my kids playing as hard as they can all the time. If it creats a big lead so be it. It is like we are punishing the players for being good, we take them out! ...
Then your players don't deserve to be on the floor if they're giving anything less than their best. As a coach, you demand the best of anyone one the floor to execute and do their job. If a player gets lazy, they don't deserve to be on the floor because they'll also get lazy in a big game. There still is no "light switch" in playing. Either you play hard or you don't.

View PostHagen, on 16 December 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

I'm not saying put in JV/freshmen or stall the clock out, but put the next 5 role players in. If they score, so be it.
I still stand by this. You demand your best from anyone on the court. As a coach, you NEVER should stop instructing until the game is literally over, not when you assume victory.

#15 Bluetiger76

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,803 posts

Member No.: 9020

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

Just my opinion.........Coach I think you are spot on when you say the losing team should sub first (wave the white flag); that's generally how I've seen it done over the years. But IMO, the comment "just get better" isnt realistic in a lot of cases. Some groups of kids are just flat out better than others. Not aiming this at Coach....but when some communities just pound their chest and say you just need to work harder and get better........it just "aint" right.

No matter how hard a Vanlue works, they aren't ever going to beat a Marion Local.

On the other side of this I have no pity for the teams that get whacked either....they elected to schedule the game.

That aside......Congrats to the young man that had 59! Good for him!!

Edited by Bluetiger76, 17 December 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#16 mysteryman2014

All District

• Members
  • 283 posts

Member No.: 9542

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:17 AM

Ever think that Quincy was trying to get as much playing time for his main guys together as possible?
due to football playoffs Lima Senior was playing only their 2nd game
wiith a huge weekend coming up against some best teams
he probably was preparing and if that meant running up score then so be it.
Quincy knows what he is doing and wouldnt run score up just run up or let X break record just break it.
I am almost 100% positive it was due to lack of playing together and getting ready for this weekend.

#17 Hagen

All State

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

View Postmysteryman2014, on 17 December 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

Ever think that Quincy was trying to get as much playing time for his main guys together as possible?
due to football playoffs Lima Senior was playing only their 2nd game
I am almost 100% positive it was due to lack of playing together and getting ready for this weekend.
Via a team preview:
"...It’s kind of a reunion of sorts as former Team Lima (travel team) teammates Ruben Flowers, Rico Stafford, Jaylin Thomas, and Simpson have been reunited along with their head coach. Enter into the mix Elijah Pughsley, who returned back to Lima after a stint at Cincinnati Hughes, ..."
Yea... I'm sure the lack of playing together factors in strongly...

Edited by Hagen, 17 December 2015 - 09:27 AM.

#18 rallyinthe9th

All State

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

Didn't Vanlue have a run where they went 18-2 or something like that and they ran their coach off? Communities may not except what it takes to work hard, but there is no reason kids from Vanlue can't compete with other communities around the same size.

Cultures can take a while to turn, and Vanlue is on the tiny size, but so is Holgate. When they had steady coaching, they were a force to deal with. They had to play a certain style, but they could compete at the state level.

#19 Bluetiger76

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,803 posts

Member No.: 9020

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

View Postrallyinthe9th, on 17 December 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

Didn't Vanlue have a run where they went 18-2 or something like that and they ran their coach off? Communities may not except what it takes to work hard, but there is no reason kids from Vanlue can't compete with other communities around the same size.

Cultures can take a while to turn, and Vanlue is on the tiny size, but so is Holgate. When they had steady coaching, they were a force to deal with. They had to play a certain style, but they could compete at the state level.
No, you're right rally.......I (mistakenly) was using a football example. No matter how much they practice they will never complete with a school like ML.

#20 Coach

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

The coach does what he needs to do to win that are with in the rules. It is not like college ball where you can go out and recruit. If it is stall ball, so be it. If you don't have scorers on the team, this may be the answer. Find the strength of your players and use it. You may have great ball handlers and passers. This is why a shot clock in high school basketball is a disgrace to the game. Is this game for the players to learn fundamentals? Develop dedication? Learn team play? And understand why teamwork is so important. Team Chemistry is the key and kids have to buy in. High School Sports have changed Not taking anything away from the teams, but come on, 7 State Football Champions.

To many people/parents look at high school basketball as how many minutes my son/daughter plays, are they fun to watch (entertainment) and no matter how good they played they really don't care because they lost! Sad, come to think of it, this is they way most sports are now days. I guarantee you 99% of the parents or someone in the community would not turn a player in that breaks training rules. What are we trying to teach these kids?

Don't run up the score, kids don't want to be humiliated.
Everybody should get there fair share of time. When they leave school they will soon realize everyone does not get even breaks.
If you aren't very good then just give up so others feel sorry for you.
You don't have to work to get better, just let welfare take care of you.

This is where we are at with sports. I think here is a good example: A community swim meet where all kids are in this league (summer program not school)

RULE #1

All kids must be able to swim across the pool to be eligiable to be on the swim team. This is the very first rule! One of the younger kids gets in a race and swims 3 feet, grabs the rope, breaths and then swims another 3 feet, this goes on until he makes it to the other side. People are clapping, cheering yelling you can do it, The problem is, he really never did swim and we are giving this kid a standing ovation.

You wonder why high school sports aren't what they used to be!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users