"Clearing Cap Space" for the 2010 Free Agent Class

6 replies to this topic

#1 Duh Huh Dull Sucks

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Member No.: 3689

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:36 PM

I keep reading stories about teams trading away players merely to "clear cap space" for the 2010 free agent class. Tonight the Nets traded away Yi Jianlian for two shaves and a haircut. Bulls traded away Kirk Hinrich and their 1st rd pick this year for a future 2nd rd pick? Really??? There have been other trades or "moves" to clear cap space for teams, but c'mon...I just keep thinking to myself what must fans of these teams be thinking right now? These teams are trading away players for a "chance" to sign LeBron. Not a guarantee they will get him (or Wade, or Bosh. or etc.), but just a CHANCE!

It baffles the mind, I swear.

Any thoughts?

#2 Guest_Victorian_*

• Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

They don't value those particular players as long term options so they get what they can get and move on.

#3 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

you need proven players to win NOW..thats just the way sports are...Look at Mike Brown best record during the regular season 2 years in a row...Fired...
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

#4 Duh Huh Dull Sucks

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Member No.: 3689

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

I do have to laugh at the Cavs for a recent bit I heard: Apparently they are trying furiously to unload Delonte West for SOMETHING, but there are no takers. Delonte, as many know, got caught shagging LeBron's mom and LeBron found out before game 5 of the NBA playoffs against the Celtics. Teams were saying NO, not because they didn't want Delonte for cheap, but because they didn't want to hinder their chances of bringing in LeBron, figuring LeBron is less likely to go back to the Cavs if West is still on the team.

Always interesting stories out of Cleveland, I tell ya'! Always interesting.

#5 cardsfan

All District

• Members
  • 129 posts

Member No.: 865

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

We all know the headliners in the free agency derby. But watch out for a few others who with the right situation could help someone over the top - without paying max $$$. Carlos Boozer, Udonis Haslem, and David Lee would be nice fits for a lot of teams - or nice help for a team that can land a dynamic duo to go with. Luke Ridnour will make someone a nice backup point too.

#6 dhsdawg06

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Member No.: 3170

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:09 AM

As a Bulls fan, the only thing that disappoints me about that trade is that they didn't get a future 1st round pick. Hinrich was clearly not in the long term plans anymore. Don't really need a backup PG when Rose can play almost the whole game and he's not a SG.

If we don't get at least one of the big name free agents now, nothing's really lost. Still around a .500 team. But if we can somehow land 2, then we're instantly title contenders. Land 1 and we have a shot. I think it's worth the gamble.

#7 FrOnT RoW JOE

Stinkys Legend

• [M] Moderator
  • 7,940 posts

Member No.: 368

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Bulls, are 1 guy away from being top notch, 2 guys puts them over the hump and top 3 in Eastern Conference...Now if LeBron would go there, which I feel is his best chance to win a title now is, they are easily #1 in the NBA.....
You'll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the football field. - Jim Tressel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users